Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 07:41 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Perhaps for you, but that does not hold true for everyone. Allow me to acquaint you with the phrase "Your Milage May Vary".
I was citing a study, not my personal experience, and numerous studies have demonstrated that high carbohydrate/high fiber foods are very satiating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 04:40 AM

283 posts, read 385,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I was citing a study, not my personal experience, and numerous studies have demonstrated that high carbohydrate/high fiber foods are very satiating.
Cite?

Old 08-26-2014, 02:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Not really, when people do this they pick bad photos of one person and good photos of another. But Mark Sisson is more muscular than Ornish, but Ornish is a doctor and researcher and Sisson is a former athlete so that is to be expected. And, well, Dean Ornish isn't that attractive but that has nothing to do with diet.

Caldwell Esselstyn is in his 80's and advocates a similar type of diet:

I'd compare him to a low-carbohydrate guru, but I'm not aware of any that are 80+. Atkins would have been in this 80's now but he died over 10 years ago with heart disease. The two knew each other.
Dr. Atkins died because he fell and hit his head on the ice.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:26 PM

577 posts, read 900,304 times
I am an ex-vegan, I started eating poultry, fish, dairy and eggs about a year ago and more recently added back red meat.

While I can say I don't feel better or worse either way, it astonishes me how meat, especially red meat it seems, suppresses hunger compared to typical vegan fare. I can have a few ounces of red meat in the morning and not feel any hunger until 5pm, and then only mild hunger. Whereas with the same number of calories from vegan foods (even high protein ones like tofu and beans) I am always hungry within 2-3 hours.

I've watched some documentaries looking at the satiation index of fats vs protein vs carbs and protein is always the most effective at curbing hunger.

The only problem is I still don't like meat (being vegan was always a taste, not an ethical issue for me) so I'd almost rather be hungry all the time than eat meat.

Even when vegan I had a very high fat ratio in my diet but was never overweight (fats are second to protein in terms of reducing hunger).

This is why I don't understand the push to get overweight people to eat fruits and veggies. Neither curbs appetite. It would make more sense to tell them to at least temporarily cut out all grains and starches and focus on protein to deal with hunger management.

The new USDA lunch standards are high carb, low fat, low protein which will do nothing to help childhood obesity (other than the kids skipping lunch altogether because the fruits and veggies are "gross").

Last edited by mermaid825; 08-28-2014 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 03:16 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I think especially vegetables, beans, legumes and healthy fats from avocado, hummus, nuts and seeds - all are very satisfying. I eat a small portion of fish or chicken several times a week but not every day and no red meat. No dairy other than plain Greek yogurt in my green smoothie. I have cut down on the fruit because I am convinced that it makes me hungrier, especially tropical fruits (high glycemic) and melons. A bowl of vegan chili with sweet potato and beans is very filling. For me, meat is not as filling as 1/2 cup of quinoa with spicy black beans and a green salad with hummus. Some vegans relay too much on grains and sweets - there are a lot of overweight vegans and vegetarians running around.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:41 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
- there are a lot of overweight vegans and vegetarians running around.
I doubt they're running...

Old 08-29-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Dr. Atkins died because he fell and hit his head on the ice.
Atkins was overweight and had heart disease....his fall was likely due to his poor health. But regardless of why he fell, he was overweight and had heart disease.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
I've watched some documentaries looking at the satiation index of fats vs protein vs carbs and protein is always the most effective at curbing hunger.
What documentaries? One of the most developed satiety indexes found that high carbohydrate whole foods were, in general, more satiating than low-fat/high protein foods while fatty foods and sugary foods, whether they had protein or not, had the lowest satiety:

Fullness Factor™ – NutritionData.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
This is why I don't understand the push to get overweight people to eat fruits and veggies. Neither curbs appetite.
Both fruits and veggies have been shown to reduce appetite in a number of studies....especially vegetables. Vegetables have a low calorie density and can fill up your stomach well before you've eaten too much.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:42 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Atkins was overweight and had heart disease....his fall was likely due to his poor health. But regardless of why he fell, he was overweight and had heart disease.
I'm NO Atkins fan at all - but he fell because he slipped on the ice and hit his head.

I know a much younger man that did the same thing - dead of winter, walking his dog, slipped on ice and hit his head causing traumatic brain injury.

It had zip, zero, nada to do with his diet.

Yet I also don't believe that a bowl of bacon is good for you.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm NO Atkins fan at all - but he fell because he slipped on the ice and hit his head.
Atkins was ill, from heart disease, before he fall and its very likely that contributed to him falling. But regardless of that Atkins, a guy writing diet books, was overweight and had heart disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss