Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 03:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Two questions... in the book it says "fresh" berries and such. They are expensive this time of year and go bad quickly. Is it okay to subsitute frozen? That's what I usually do (buy a big bag of mixed berries for my smoothies). I really don't see what the difference is (my guess is "fresh" is specified over canned or something... where sugars are usually added in a syrup)
As long as no sugar is added frozen berries are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 05:18 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
As long as no sugar is added frozen berries are fine.
Nope, just frozen berries... thanks. Thinking of starting this on Monday. I already planned meals for the rest of the week and need to use stuff up first. Plus, this weekend would be very hard anyway as we are all going to a Ren Faire and I know I will at least one a beer.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:02 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In order to understand the entirety of the program you have to read the books.
That seems to be too much trouble for some of these folks.

Quote:
I hope to get to phase 3 by Thanksgiving so I can have my favorite dish that I make (and eat) baked apples I already make them without sugar since my mom and uncle are diabetic. Or my other favorite... apples with peanut butter. I also get my carrots back.
I found apples neither carrots nor apples triggered any kind of cravings, but peanut butter puts me over the edge. I can't have it in the house. You'll need to add these foods back slowly, and track their effect on both your weight loss and your level of hunger.

Quote:
Is it okay to substitute frozen?
Yes.

Quote:
And when you are finally at phase four... can you treat yourself once in a great while? It looks like you can eat most foods, but what about the occasional ice cream, or piece of cake? I don't mean all the time of course, I am thinking special occasions.
Yes - you need to plan for those treats, and then get right back on the horse immediately - not the next day. When I'm done with my ice cream or pretzels, I'm done, and don't make eating them a habit.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:02 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Hey thanks everyone for the answers.

I registered on the Atkins site and answered their questions for my profile including my weight and height and such. Evidently they want me to skip to phase 2 to start. I guess because I don't have a whole lot more to lose. That makes me happy because a lot of the foods I like are on the okay list like berries, plain yogurt, cottage cheese, and nuts, etc. I get more variety from the get go! (I am still missing apples, papaya, and a bunch of other fruit I like... the berries and melon will fill my "sweet tooth" need for now). Hopefully, this attempt will get those last few stubborn pounds off.

I tried the meal planner too and the only thing I don't like is that they recommend so many Atkins brand prepared foods... but I think I will just modify that. I really don't like frozen dinners or snack bars at all. Kind of lost my taste for them years back when I first improved my eating.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:41 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Hey thanks everyone for the answers.

I registered on the Atkins site and answered their questions for my profile including my weight and height and such. Evidently they want me to skip to phase 2 to start. I guess because I don't have a whole lot more to lose. That makes me happy because a lot of the foods I like are on the okay list like berries, plain yogurt, cottage cheese, and nuts, etc. I get more variety from the get go! (I am still missing apples, papaya, and a bunch of other fruit I like... the berries and melon will fill my "sweet tooth" need for now). Hopefully, this attempt will get those last few stubborn pounds off.

I tried the meal planner too and the only thing I don't like is that they recommend so many Atkins brand prepared foods... but I think I will just modify that. I really don't like frozen dinners or snack bars at all. Kind of lost my taste for them years back when I first improved my eating.
You can definitely stay on plan without eating Atkins branded foods.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:13 AM

283 posts, read 385,294 times
For folks who are considering Atkins or Atkins similar ketogenic diets, you can also start small. You can reduce your carb intake at first down to 100g per day, substituting baked sweet potatoes drizzled with olive oil or butter to start. Going from a cr@ppy high carb diet to ketosis can be a bit shocking to folks, and sadly many would stop altogether because they can't think they can give up the carbs. After you've gotten down to 100g per day and have gotten a bit more used to it, then start the induction phase. I don't miss starches at all and I used to LOVE pasta! However, I'm more on the primal side of things so I enjoy white rice or sweet potatoes in moderation along with my gobs of fat and veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss