Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
The French lady said that you only need two or three bites of it and your taste buds are actually satisfied so she said to leave the rest. Yea, right~like I'm going to leave my dessert.
(
That's actually what I do.
And you don't really have to have dessert every night, either.
Portion control might take time to develop, but it sure can make a difference.

Charlo, you certainly have a perplexing problem, and I wish you the best.

I agree that organic is more expensive, and the HFCS is hidden in just about everything, including whole wheat bread. Sara Lee does make one without it, but it has some other form of sugar.
I don't get why the food industry seems to think that sugar must pervade the American diet, but maybe it's because so many Americans *do* like sweets.
Which came first, the hunger for sugar, or the satiating of it?

Old 12-31-2007, 05:11 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
Jammie, I agree with you. Two bites don't cut it. Although Chromium Picolate helps a lot in cutting cravings of sweets, if it is in front of me I will eat it all. Not the whole cake anymore, but not two bites either.

P.S. The smoking thread that bothered you was a thread that someone started and wanted others to tell her all of the disgusting things about cigerettes so she could stop smoking, and so people basically said what they felt. It wasn't to bash smokers but it was what she wanted. So I let it ride.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I don't get why the food industry seems to think that sugar must pervade the American diet, but maybe it's because so many Americans *do* like sweets.
Which came first, the hunger for sugar, or the satiating of it?
I'll bet that some caveman accidentally got a taste of honey, or something along those lines, smacked his lips a few times, and decided it was pretty darn good. It was all downhill after that, and look where we are, now!

Old 12-31-2007, 07:44 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
CelticLady1 wrote:
I'll bet that some caveman accidentally got a taste of honey, or something along those lines, smacked his lips a few times, and decided it was pretty darn good. It was all downhill after that, and look where we are, now!
Or maybe it was a cavewoman!

blessings....Franco

Old 12-31-2007, 08:00 AM

Charolastra00 wrote:
Don't be fooled- Cliff and Luna bars are almost as bad as candy bars. Check the sugar content on them.
Oh, I'm not, but the overtalll ingredients are much better than the ingredients in a Snickers bar. I eat perhaps a dozen Cliff bars over the course of year, mostly as an energy snack on a long hike. I can't stand Luna bars, and it's been at least 20 years since I've eaten a Snickers bar, probably closer to 30. I can't even imagine putting something like that into my body.

blessings...Franco

Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
....IMO, it seems that the cards are stacked against many of us trying to maintain a healthy weight. Among other challenges we face are:

-the huge serving sizes in restaurants and fast food places
-junk/snack food (just why do we need this category of food at all?)
-the addition of high fructose corn syrup to most of our food supply, which is apparently metabolized differently and some scientists think contributes to obesity/diabetes -consumption of sodas, sugary fruit flavored juices we think are healthy but are not
-the growth hormones and other additives in our meats, poultry and milk.
-our sedentary lifestyles and cities and towns not designed for easy walking or bicycling
-so many processed foods and convenience foods high in fat, sugar, salt and additives

I'm sure there's more that could be added to the list, but it's an uphill battle to eat well and not grow larger today. What's supporting us to be well and healthy other than dire statistics and warnings?? Think about it.
All we can really do is educate ourselves on eating healthy and to stop being lazy and blaming others (fast food restaraunts, dairy farms, candy makers, etc.) for our poor health and expanding waistlines.

It really bothers me that people blame anyone other than themselves for being obese/overweight/unhealthy. Like the two girls who tried to sue McDonalds for being responsible for their obesity. Its appalling!!

It really comes down to this:

1. Educate yoursevles on healthy eating habits. Stop drinking soda, stop eating fried foods, fast foods, greasy foods. Stop eating white bread, white rice, processed foods. Never diet! Just eat well. Understand what it good for you and understand what is bad for you and stay away from the bad stuff.

2. Exercise. Gardening is NOT exercise. Walking your dog in the park is NOT exercise (running with your dog IS exercise), doing housework is NOT exercise. If you are so out of shape or in such poor physical health that all you can to is "walk" then by all means do it but understand that you need much, much more so dedicate yourselves to it. Join a gym, do yoga, pilates, swim, do resistance training which is really the BEST exercise for anyone. You need anaerobic exercise as well as aerobic exercise.

3. Stop being lazy!!! Stop saying "I'll do it tomorrow" or "My new years resolution is....." Think "TNT" - "Today, Not Tomorrow". Stop thinking "its too hard" or "its easier to just stop by this fast food restaraunt" or "I just have to have a candy bar or jelly doughnut".

Its not easy I know, but if youre out of shape/overweight/obese/unhealthy you must take responsibility for getting back in shape and following a healthy active lifestyle consisting of real exercise and eating right or very simply you will die. I dont mean to sound harsh but this is the reality of what we are dealing with.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:10 AM

Apparently many people are already believers in Think "TNT" but the more popular version of TNT is: "Tomorrow, NOT Today.

blessings...Franco

Old 12-31-2007, 11:50 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,751,857 times
I read all of the smoking thread and now this topic while eating Hershey's Pot Of Gold chocolate candies. I am 5 foot and weight 89 lbs., so what's next? Lets talk about the flat chested and the skinny ones too! Yes I smoke! Now I know how other's perceive me!
But you all are right; I plan to quit smoking. I do eat well; I'm a cook, I'm surrounded food at work. I count calories in high volumne and drink the Wendy's frosty's! Another thought; I recently went for a physcial checkup and the MD says if I am concerned about my figure, just eat alittle bit more to add only 5 pounds. He says the number one killer in America is obsese, not cancer anymore. I am the smallest member of both sides of my family. I grew up surrounded Italian dishes, loaves of Italian bread and fried eggplant parm, meatballs, etc... the good stuff! I firmly believe the obese people will lose weight when they set their minds to it just the same as the smokers!

Old 12-31-2007, 01:51 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
All we can really do is educate ourselves on eating healthy and to stop being lazy and blaming others (fast food restaraunts, dairy farms, candy makers, etc.) for our poor health and expanding waistlines.

It really bothers me that people blame anyone other than themselves for being obese/overweight/unhealthy. Like the two girls who tried to sue McDonalds for being responsible for their obesity. Its appalling!!

It really comes down to this:

1. Educate yoursevles on healthy eating habits. Stop drinking soda, stop eating fried foods, fast foods, greasy foods. Stop eating white bread, white rice, processed foods. Never diet! Just eat well. Understand what it good for you and understand what is bad for you and stay away from the bad stuff.
Dabeez, I agree about the personal responsibility--and dietary education.
But some people not only don't have a clue about healthy eating habits, they are really hard to reach, and ingrained in their culinary ways.
They don't especially want to be educated.
I moved from the skinniest state in the USA (Colorado) to northern Florida, which is basically the South. People are noticeably heavier here.
From late 2005 to mid-2007, I worked at a Head Start preschool that got its daily lunch from the local elementary school. It was all white bread, processed foods, everything out of a can. The Powers That Be were trying to change the menu to something more nutritious, but my co-workers felt like the kids were being starved. They just didn't get it.
These folks certainly have no idea what anaerobic exercise is. They are just beginning to learn about food additives and growth hormones, but the pickings are slim in that one-grocery-store town, and they probably can't afford much organic food anyway.
What's to be done?
Is it a problem, or isn't it?
I think that's what Jammie's thread is all about.
Education is indeed paramount; people need to know what is bad and what is good--but I don't think we need to make them feel resentful, let alone ostracized. I think the schools are trying, and I am glad about that.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:55 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
In the words of Spike Feresten "stop eating crap"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss