Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:54 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times

Advertisements

I would never recommend the Atkins diet to anyone. The formula really is simple:

1. Eat right (veggies, protein, carbs, some fruits)
2. Get plenty of exercise (aerobic, anaerobic and resistance exercise)
3. drink plenty of water (superhydration)
4. Get plenty of rest

This is the secret to a long and healthy life. People should do away with the distractions (too many cable channels, too many hours on the internet, too many dogs/cats to take care of) get your husband/wife to take care of the kids for one hour per day so you can exercise and take care of yourself.

I was so proud (and a bit embarrassed) by my wife yesterday. She's due to give birth in mid March and she came out to my "gym" in the garage and was able to do 7 full pullups (couldnt quite complete the 8th) and two sets of 25lb dumbell shoulder presses. She's 6.5 months pregnant and was able to do this I was shocked and amazed. She said that she makes use of her company gym during lunch time to stay in shape. Here is a woman who's commute to work is almost 2hrs each way, very pregnant and extremely busy at work, but she still finds time to take care of herself eat right and workout. If she can do it, anyone can do it.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:47 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
Dr Atkins had the right idea. We all eat too many carbs for our sedentary, sit in front of the TV/computer lifestyles. I never agreed though with all of that bacon and no coffee. He said "don't eat any carbs". That is a good diet for a couple of weeks until the kidneys shut down and the colin is clogged up.

Just a ramble from a man obsessed with staying 16 forever.
Atkins had the wrong idea. He was telling people to not eat any carbs. Fruits, veggies and grains all fall into the complex carbs category. So to not eat any carbs at all, you'd just have to eat artery clogging meat, dairy and eggs all the time. Which sets you up for a lot of hospital visits later on and several surgeries.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:23 AM

607 posts, read 3,557,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Atkins had the wrong idea. He was telling people to not eat any carbs. Fruits, veggies and grains all fall into the complex carbs category. So to not eat any carbs at all, you'd just have to eat artery clogging meat, dairy and eggs all the time. Which sets you up for a lot of hospital visits later on and several surgeries.
? read the entire entry!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:45 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Dennis, yes i read the entire post. My response in fact was to the people that always say 'no carbs' at all. I grabbed your post and quoted it because it was there. No offense to you was meant.
People grab my posts a lot and quote me while responding to other's. It used to bug the heck out of me, but they mean no harm when they do it, just as i did with yours. K?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:50 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,090 times
I have said and will keep saying.. It only started with cigarettes! Now it is overweight... If you don't fall into these 2 catagories, just WAIT! Your turn WILL come. The ball has started rolling and it will keep going! It use to be against the law to discriminate against anybody, now it is acceptable and NO ONE will be safe! Why do we sit quietly by and watch this happen, even if it isn't US they are picking on at this moment?

We all do things that annoy other people, it it now ok to criticize and belittle people who annoy us in some way and that be ok? Why is it OK?

Old 01-04-2008, 03:16 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,371,721 times
Many years ago there was a diet plan called The Drinking Man's Diet - which was a low to zero carb diet. It was the precursor to the Atkins plan and we are talking back in the '60's. I lost so much weight. Fast forward to Atkins who did incorporate veggies and fruits. I lost weight again.

I wonder what would have happened to me had I never gone on a diet. I have stopped dieting because it is pointless. I have lost 30 lbs gained 50 and back again too many times. I do my level best to eat healthy. Never ever eat fried foods, sodas, or anythng with empty calories. I am still overweight ... it is a struggle.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:24 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I adhere to a healthy organic diet with no "white" carbs and lots of veggies and healthy proteins, so I've read all the major "diet" books along the way, low fat, low carb, you name it, Atkins, South Beach, Dr. Mercola's stuff, Schwartzbein, Body for Life, Weight Watchers - and gleaned what I needed to devise a plan that works for me as a way of life.

Atkins did have the right idea - that book does not state to completely eliminate carbs. His diet begins with a low induction type of level and then proceeds to utilize a carbohydrate ladder (with emphasis on obtaining those carbs from vegetables, fruits, and whole grain items, not "junk") to determine the level at which you personally can maintain your weight and health.

Dabeez, that is wonderful that your wife is so healthy but please spare us the "if she can do it anyone can" rhetoric. When someone states they don't have time to work out on a daily basis, did you ever consider that they just MIGHT BE TELLING THE TRUTH? There are lots of mothers I know who fall into this category - some with special needs kids, some just completely overwhelmed to the point where it is not possible. I hope and pray you don't have a "high needs" baby or you will see what I mean in a few short months... (btw, she is not very pregnant yet to me, that would be 'overdue' LOL)

Old 01-04-2008, 04:07 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Karen_s, I understand your point. However, I do believe that if someone understands the importance of finding time to workout, no matter what, they WILL find/make time to do so. I posted the below workout plan this morning for a single mom in the "Exercise and Fitness" thread who understands and wants to get healthy. She's going to try this either in the morning before she has to wake her child or in the evening when the child is put to bed.

Lets start with this very basic routine. Let me know if this is too easy or too tough for your with your current fitness level:

Pushups - 3 sets of 10 reps. Try the "girlie style" pushups where instead of being on your hands and toes (basic pushup position), start with being on your hands and knees. Do each pushup VERY, VERY, SLOWLY and do not stop for even a millisecond at the top or bottom. Keep the motion constant. Do them slowly as if youre balancing a cup of sulfuric acid on the back of your head.

Situps - (regular and bicycle style). Start with a goal of 20 regular situps. Place your feet under your sofa or bed, bend your knees and lightly touch your earlobes with your finger tips (never interlace the fingers behind your head) and begin. Key point - after touching your knees with your elbows you must VERY, VERY SLOWLY lower yourself down (but not all the way down) to your starting position.
Bicycle style situps - lay flat on floor, bend and lift both knees, fingers lightly touching your ears and back flat on floor. Begin - touch your left knee with your right elbow while at same time push your right leg forward like youre pedaling a bike, then touch your right knee with your left elbow while simul pushing your left leg out. Do this at a rather high speed but keep your legs moving as if youre pedaling a bike.

Supermans - Goal is 50. Stand with your feet together, hold your arms straight over your head like you're going to fly away and keep them there. Then lift up on the balls of your feet then go up and down as fast as you can. The key is to not let your heels touch the floor but to lift as high as you can.

Horse Stance - This is your basic kung fu leg strengthing exercise. 1) Stand with your feet together, 2) then pivit on your heels to turn your toes out 45 degrees, 3) now pivit on the balls of your feet to turn your heels out, 4) now pivit on your heels again to turn your toes out, 5) pivit on your toes and turn your heels so that your feet are now facing forward. 6) straighten your arms forward like your pushing someone away from you and hold them there; 7) MOST IMPORTANT PART - while keeping your spine straight, slowly bend your legs until your thighs are parallel to the floor. As soon as you find that you have to lean your upper body forward to go lower - STOP and hold that position. Goal is to stand in this position for as long as you can.

If its important, people make time for it. The problem with a lot of people though is that it is easier to make excuses than to actually do something that is worthwile for themselve and/or their family.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:01 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
DaBeez, I'm strongly inclined to agree with you. If someone says, thinks, or believes they don't have the time, then they just have to make the time by taking back a minute here and a minute there from various duties throughtout the day. Anyone can find at least 10 minutes a day to exercise. We owe it to ourselves to do so! If we won't take care of ourselves, no one else will. We can go on blaming life itself, our unique circumstances, our spouse, our kids, our boss, the government, the weather etc, but if we won't take the time to exercise we ourselves are responsible...no one else.

blessings....Franco

Old 01-05-2008, 02:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Big eaters say they were banned from buffet | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss