Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:48 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Do overweight people call in sick more often? - That's Fit

Ok, now that we have the smokers under control and shunned and out of sight, is it time to hit on the obese? This is one of the many articles that have been coming up. One that sticks on in my mind is the future banning of soda pop from vending machines across the country since it supposedly adds to obesity.
i dunno, i'm overweight, but i just choose to not drink much soda.

my problem is that i don't have a lot of money to spend on groceries, so what i do get is loaded with either fat or sugar.

if anything, i would like to see healthy food be more affordable. It's harder when snickers is cheaper than fruit, and pepsi is cheaper than juice...

as far as in schools, i wouldn't mind seeing less soda and and junk food and more healthy stuff.

being overweight pretty much my whole life, it would have been nice to have something or someone at least trying to offer something else while i was in school, it may have helped me today...

Old 01-06-2008, 02:09 AM

436 posts, read 809,454 times
First of all, obesity is very definitely a major crisis in America. BUT- it does not take the federal government's intervention into the matter. It does, however, take some local intervention- as far as the school boards.

The problem starts early, and starts in the home, in many cases.

A great deal of the problem stems from the fact that all too many schools have either greatly reduced, or totally eliminated physical education requirements. They have given this up, in favor of the more "progressive" courses like gay and lesbian lifestyle, and the pillars of Islam.

Then, you have parents who work, and come home from there with bags from McDonald's, Church's, Burger King, etc, and plop them down in front of the kids who have been sitting in front of the Play Station since coming home. After indulging, it's time for the television, where the largest use of caloric intake is spent on finding the remote.

The lack of exercise, and the continued endorsement of a sedentary life by the parents leads the kids to believe that it is okay to do nothing about their bodies. All too many learn nothing about nutrition, portions and self control. If they go out, where is it? Most likely a buffet where the "all you eat" crew is already grazing, or to one of the chains serving the ever popular "heart attack on a plate" menus (Claim Jumper comes directly to mind).

Let's put the problem back onto the person- Many of you have stated the need for exercise and self control, which is good. If more people did that, there would be less fat people running (rather- walking slowly) around. And yes- I blame the person. Statistically, Very few fat people's conditions are "medically caused." They are usually the result of self control issues. I do not believe in the removal of soda machines etc. That is just the government's way of further controlling without allowing the individual to choose.

And finally- I do agree with one poster who stated that if a person takes up two airline seats, they should be charged for the two. I do not feel it is appropriate for someone to encroach upon my seat Moderator cut: offensive. I paid for a seat appropriate for me- they can do the same. I paid for the use of the armrest aa well- that is why it stays down during the flight.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-06-2008 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: offensive

Old 01-06-2008, 05:35 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
I think that schools should be required to serve healthy meals and snacks. There should not be any chocholate milk, soda, candy or anything else like that offered in schools.

Parents should also take responsibility for their childrens health as well as their own. Do something active with your kids, play tennis, go hiking, bike riding, rollerblading, do something so that you both can stay healthy.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:39 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post

my problem is that i don't have a lot of money to spend on groceries, so what i do get is loaded with either fat or sugar.

if anything, i would like to see healthy food be more affordable. It's harder when snickers is cheaper than fruit, and pepsi is cheaper than juice...
I've heard people say that it is cheaper to buy unhealthy food (w/ fats and sugar). I don't know if I agree with this. I'm not sure where you are buying your groceries, but I find that it is cheaper to buy healthful food than it is to buy unhealthy food. In the spring/summer, farmers markets (at least in my area) are way cheaper than grocery stores - they have the best/cheapest produce hands down. Since I live in So. Cal, I have a good selection of ethnic stores (Persian, Indian, and Oriental foods) that offer quality ingredients for a fraction of the cost of chain markets. If you have farmer's markets/ethnic stores check out their prices...

Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I
Dabeez, that is wonderful that your wife is so healthy but please spare us the "if she can do it anyone can" rhetoric. When someone states they don't have time to work out on a daily basis, did you ever consider that they just MIGHT BE TELLING THE TRUTH?
The point is, she MAKES TIME. Just a couple months ago she stopped working the SECOND JOB that she's had for the past 10 years. I think that if people understand the importance of keeping themselves healthy and active and that nothing really is more important than that you wont see so many unhealthy overweight people. For years, my wife worked a fulltime job with a terrible commute (1 - 2hrs each way) and worked a part time evening job on Tuesdays, Thursday, Fridays, Saturdays and sometimes Sundays but still found time to work out for herself and for and with her family. So, this is not "rhetoric" because really, if she was able to do it while working two jobs every day AND taking care of a child (now 12) and her husband then really ANYONE CAN do it.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I've heard people say that it is cheaper to buy unhealthy food (w/ fats and sugar). I don't know if I agree with this. I'm not sure where you are buying your groceries, but I find that it is cheaper to buy healthful food than it is to buy unhealthy food. In the spring/summer, farmers markets (at least in my area) are way cheaper than grocery stores - they have the best/cheapest produce hands down. Since I live in So. Cal, I have a good selection of ethnic stores (Persian, Indian, and Oriental foods) that offer quality ingredients for a fraction of the cost of chain markets. If you have farmer's markets/ethnic stores check out their prices...
I do love my Studio City and Calabasas Farmers Markets for fresh veggies. But, for the most part, it really is cheaper and more convenient (i.e., easier people who are lazy or tired after working all day) to buy bad food - $1.00 cheesburgers at McDonalds, .59 cent tacos at Taco Bell, $2.00 chili burgers at Tommies. But with a little planning and creativity, you CAN eat well even when you have very little time to cook.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:03 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,006 times
I don't make a habit out of "hitting on" overweight people. They are capable of getting their own dates.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:04 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
there are farmers markets here, but not for about 8 months out of the year, and grocery store produce is crap.

by cheaper food, i meant more along the lines of quicker food (convenient food). Normal groceries are ok, but i don't always have time to make something.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:21 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
The point is, she MAKES TIME. Just a couple months ago she stopped working the SECOND JOB that she's had for the past 10 years. I think that if people understand the importance of keeping themselves healthy and active and that nothing really is more important than that you wont see so many unhealthy overweight people. For years, my wife worked a fulltime job with a terrible commute (1 - 2hrs each way) and worked a part time evening job on Tuesdays, Thursday, Fridays, Saturdays and sometimes Sundays but still found time to work out for herself and for and with her family. So, this is not "rhetoric" because really, if she was able to do it while working two jobs every day AND taking care of a child (now 12) and her husband then really ANYONE CAN do it.
Please save me the sermon. I actually wasn't speaking for myself, but instead for the moms at the children's hospital where my kids get services. They have children who are far lower functioning than mine. Some of those women haven't had a full night's sleep in a decade - wanna tell them to "make time?" You have no idea until you walk in someone else's shoes. Personally there is no value in heavy exercise when I'm sleep deprived - it literally messes up my hormones if I do that. Sleep must be first.

Now, I do make time to exercise but I have to do it with kids in tow and sometimes that really curtails things. If you have a 5 y/o on a bike with you, it's definitely not possible to get your heart rate up to where it needs to be to increase fitness and burn fat. I am trying to set a good example and I most certainly have - my older son (in spite of his difficulties) is now a competitive cyclist. Our family does all local errands on foot to save gas and get a nice workout walking about town.

But I still have some "extra baggage" in spite of all my efforts and extremely clean diet. I'm sure my body would be duly criticized by someone like you high up there on that horse. I do find it extremely hard to lose weight while breastfeeding. But my point is that I may appear "fat" or "unhealthy" to you now and I most certainly am not. My labs are great, I work full-time plus have 2 part-time jobs and volunteer, get my kids to all their therapies and activities, and do all of that without DH's help because he works 12-hr night shifts.

I hope for your sake that you lose your "holier than thou" attitude before your little one arrives. If you want to help people you consider overweight and out of shape, then volunteer somewhere to do just that.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
there are farmers markets here, but not for about 8 months out of the year, and grocery store produce is crap.

by cheaper food, i meant more along the lines of quicker food (convenient food). Normal groceries are ok, but i don't always have time to make something.
When I'm short on time and money, I go for things like frozen veggies. It's much healthier for the kids to eat "mashed cauliflower" than mashed potatoes, so I make things like that. Microwaves are very energy efficient and you can steam veggies in them if you need to. Another thing I do is literally make the veggies before the rest of the meal is done. That way we eat the good nutritious stuff and fill up on it before the rest is even on the table. Do you have a crock pot? There are so many easy crock pot recipes out there too?

Do you have a CSA you could join near your home? This is only good during the growing season, but you can get amazing food so cheap this way.
See link: Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest

Do you have an Aldi store near you? Our local store has very good produce pretty cheap year-round and some of the other stuff is pretty good too.

One thing I have found - the "cheap" food just isn't as filling to me (I don't eat "white carbs" or HFCS). So if I pay a bit more for better food with good fats and good proteins, I actually eat less and it ends up costing me less than the cheapie carb-laden snacks I ate many moons ago.

Hope some of this helps you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss