Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:20 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,110 times

Advertisements

Gosh, this thread saddens me so. Don't you think if it were as simple as "eat less and move more" there wouldn't be this epidemic of overweight?

I tried that between baby #2 and #3. And like a previous poster, I was walking 10 miles a week and biking 50 more and still overweight, all while eating a "clean" diet. I then luckily had the resources to see a naturopath, who pronounced me insulin resistant and modified my diet - finally I could lose weight and be healthy again. How many people have access to those kind of resources? I am VERY lucky.

I am literally amazed each time I grocery shop slowly and take time to read the ingredients. There are additives, HFCS, and artificial flavors in just about everything. Check out those Nutri-Grain bars, the "fruit" juices. It's just horrifying. I can only imagine how many people who are busy from working and raising their families actually have time to read all these ingredients. The nasty garbage added to the food should be stopped ASAP! So the lucky few of us who can afford it can eat organic and avoid the nastiness, but how many people cannot? How about the poor folks in the inner cities that have such limited food choices and basically have to subsist on processed crap because it's all the corner store carries?

I'm going to have a lifelong battle with my weight, and I accept that. I monitor each and every bite and enter it all into fitday. I exercise regularly and take my vitamins. I breastfeed long-term to give my children the healthiest nutritional start.

So for the well-meaning yet completely misguided folks on this thread who think it's as simple as "eat less and move more" - YOU MAKE ME WANT TO SCREAM!!!!!!!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:14 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
Thanks Karen, That is so true. I weighted 100 pounds until I was 45 and then I had a hysterectomy, was put on hormones and gained five pounds. (I quit taking them years ago.) I bought a car and went up another 5 lbs. I stayed at 118 for many years. I went on a raw food diet and went down to 110 because I couldn't stand all raw foods, So I went back to 118. At 60 I was 118 and was put on celebrex after surgery, but I still walked, I went up to 130. Went off celebrex and began walking, started to lose some weight, got down to 118, but we had a CA fire, and I got brochitis. Still I worked hard and walked. I walked for a year afterwards and did a diet and got down to 118. Then I moved to OK, and it is too cold to walk in the winter, but on most days I get out and walk my dogs, but I worked in my garden 6 hours a day doing heavy work of pulling vines and carrying heavy garbage bags to the curb, about 300 feet, and walked my dogs. I finally got down to 125. Dieting did not help much. I found I have thyroid problems, but the doctor said it was too mild to worry about. And I know you don't lose weight on thyroid meds. I walk my dogs daily, and I get on the stepper in the house. I am having a rough time time losing weight. I cut out sweets after getting them as gifts, etc. at Christmas. Dieting and losing weight isn't as easy for me as it was years ago. Your metabolism slows down, and thyroid problems can occur. But I keep trying. My diet is basically a raw food smoothie in the morning, and then later 2 pieces of sprouted wheat bread with just butter, no jam. A little very low organic milk during the day, maybe 1/2 c., 1/2 organic peanut butter and jam sprouted wheat sandwich for lunch, and then a salad for dinner. If I do that every day I will go back to 125, but I will not get myself down to 118, but I will try, as I haven't given up, and that is what walking and using a stepper is for. I used to be able to eat 3,000 calories a day and not gain a pound, and at that time I was at 118 or when younger I was 100 lbs.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:04 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,750,994 times
Did you know that jalepeno peppers, (yes the hot ones) will change your metabolism and give your body the boost you need to lose weight. Eating one or two peppers with your dinner each night will help you. If you try this, you have nothing to lose.

Number one rule for dieting is: Omit anything WHITE!

Number Two: Eat more fresh veggies, eat a salad first.

Number Three: Drink more water.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:25 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Great Thread Jammie! I too am fed up with those who thrive on putting down other people. Whether it be their eating habits, smoking, drinking, or whatever!

As a rule, it's those who have little or no self-esteem who think that by putting down others, it makes them appear better....not true!

Old 01-01-2008, 12:01 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Did you know that jalepeno peppers, (yes the hot ones) will change your metabolism and give your body the boost you need to lose weight. Eating one or two peppers with your dinner each night will help you. If you try this, you have nothing to lose.

Number one rule for dieting is: Omit anything WHITE!

Number Two: Eat more fresh veggies, eat a salad first.

Number Three: Drink more water.
so egg whites are bad?

Old 01-01-2008, 12:06 PM

here's another secret; keep the testosterone up (yes women too). Exersize, zinc supplements, Boron supplements, more exercise. Stay away from things that raise your estrogen; alcohol, cigarettes, Fast food, simple sugars.

AND KEEP THAT COLIN CLEAN !

Old 01-01-2008, 12:31 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,829,654 times
Here is a link for caloric expenditure by activity/weight. Gardening and walking ARE included. I do believe that personal responsibility is important as no one is forced to eat that Big Mac, but telling others that walking, gardening, etc. isn't exercise just isn't true. Are there exercises that increase your heart rate more, absolutely, but IMO, any activity is better than nothing at all. I bike, walk, and weight train several times a week(5'8" and 132lbs) as that is what I choose to do and what works for me. It isn't my place to judge anyone else based on their preferred choice of exercise or their weight.
I do not believe that everyone who is overweight has a hormone imbalance or other medical condition, but because I DO NOT know them or their circumstance, I do not judge them or make assumptions. What happened to not judging a book by it's cover?

http://www.nutribase.com/exercala.htm

Old 01-01-2008, 12:43 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,750,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
so egg whites are bad?

Im not sure about egg whites as for cooking, you mean?
In the Dr. Atkins diet, he says eat many eggs.

As a cook, I have gotten many request for boiled egg slices in their salads
for those regular customers who tell me they on a diet. They make no
secret about it as they want me to dress up their dishes to be more
appealing and tasty. I kept the low fat salad dressing for them but I do
recommend the olive oil and vinegar with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
What's the point in a beautiful fresh garden salad and drown it with heavy
white creamy dressings!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:51 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,423,332 times
Dr. Atkins was an overweight dolt with many health problems and the Atkins company filed for bankruptcy a few years ago.

Oil and vinegar is great. You can make it yourself, but Paul Newman's is pretty good too.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM

Dr Atkins had the right idea. We all eat too many carbs for our sedentary, sit in front of the TV/computer lifestyles. I never agreed though with all of that bacon and no coffee. He said "don't eat any carbs". That is a good diet for a couple of weeks until the kidneys shut down and the colin is clogged up.

Just a ramble from a man obsessed with staying 16 forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss