Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 11:54 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,407,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
It does for me. Once I eliminated them and sugar the weight started coming off . I didn’t overeat before either. I’m following my doctors weight plan and we will slowly introduce wheat back into my diet but in a very limited way permanently.
Of course you lost weight. You eliminated an entire food group. Your caloric intake dropped dramatically to the point where you were in a caloric deficit. I know people that can’t lose weight eating salads because they are consuming more calories than they are burning.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:37 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
There is a safety factor. If I was a single woman there is no way I’d hike trails or walk through forests alone. Luckily I have a partner and can enjoy all these activities in nature on an almost daily basis.
I do, but the trails and forests are in suburban parks. Plus being a six-foot-tall woman, I've never been afraid like that, even working in NYC all my life People don't tend to choose women of my stature for their victims.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:35 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
RAW FOOD - COOKED FOOD - BRAIN FOOD - NEURONS -

The answer to the source of widespread obesity may be found in this informative video
-- - -- - --
What is so special about the human brain?

http://www.ted.com/talks/suzana_herc...he_human_brain
- - - -- - - --
[spoiler]
The key to our amazing brain size is cooking - which is also our bane - the source of our obesity. But since the BRAIN demands to be fed, no amount of will power will defeat it, in the long run.
But 100% unprocessed raw food diet is contrasurvival, so the happy medium is based on finding your own balance of raw versus cooked / processed diet.

The advent of cooking was the way to get far more nutrients than possible with a raw diet.
And the concentration of nutrients, via modern processing, have produced meals that can provide a whole day’s worth of calories in one serving.
Conversely, replacing processed food with unprocessed, raw foods (uncooked) will reverse the trend.

FWIW - Ketogenic diets may help those who need to curb appetite, since the high fat intake dulls the appetite. Imagine eating a half a stick of butter... Yikes. Shudder.
I like butter, so wouldn't be a problem for me. I mean, I don't just grab a stick out of the fridge, but I cook with it. If I didn't know anything about nutrition I'd use more than I do because yum. I'll leave the raw hamburgers, steaks, and pork chops to you. I do like sushi, but that's about the only raw meat I'd go for.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:16 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Of course you lost weight. You eliminated an entire food group. Your caloric intake dropped dramatically to the point where you were in a caloric deficit. I know people that can’t lose weight eating salads because they are consuming more calories than they are burning.
Well, just look at restaurant salads. Lots of 1,000 to 1,500 calorie restaurant salads. They taste pretty good too, but yeah, not so good for the waistline.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:49 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times
Quote:
Well, that's half the battle. It has helped me to lose weight and keep it off. I have a long "Things I Almost Never Eat" list- fried, creamed, most processed, over-sweetened, starchy white (white bread, potatoes, rice, pasta). I eat meat once a week. I do it to maintain healthy cholesterol and a1c levels but it helps with weight management, too. Imagine the effect on the population if they stopped buying Hostess, Little Debbies, 7-Up, Tater Tots and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, just look at restaurant salads. Lots of 1,000 to 1,500 calorie restaurant salads. They taste pretty good too, but yeah, not so good for the waistline.
Ans don't forget the ones that come in a hollowed-out round loaf of bread or a giant fried taco! And to make things worse, the only true vegetables in most of them are iceberg lettuce and a few shreds of carrot.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yep you got that right. The only salads that don’t have a lot of calories are the ones with nothing in them and we all know how those taste.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Well, that's half the battle. It has helped me to lose weight and keep it off. I have a long "Things I Almost Never Eat" list- fried, creamed, most processed, over-sweetened, starchy white (white bread, potatoes, rice, pasta). I eat meat once a week. I do it to maintain healthy cholesterol and a1c levels but it helps with weight management, too. Imagine the effect on the population if they stopped buying Hostess, Little Debbies, 7-Up, Tater Tots and the like.

Ans don't forget the ones that come in a hollowed-out round loaf of bread or a giant fried taco! And to make things worse, the only true vegetables in most of them are iceberg lettuce and a few shreds of carrot.
And that’s great you lost weight by cutting out certain foods. The problem is too many people cut out say carbs and then proclaim that all carbs are bad and no one should eat them because they cause obesity.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:56 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Actually not totally. I wasn’t eating a huge amount of calories in the first place it was the content. However if you want to contradict my doctor and myself to prove your point have at it. It really doesn’t matter. All that matters is what works for me as a lifestyle.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:08 PM

6,308 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
And that’s great you lost weight by cutting out certain foods. The problem is too many people cut out say carbs and then proclaim that all carbs are bad and no one should eat them because they cause obesity.
I don’t disagree however what the issue is how some people process it that can contribute to obesity. I will not be cutting carbs out for life but i have to be very careful and limit them. Meanwhile my skinny husband can stuff his face with carbs and never puts weight on.

Different metabolisms and different ways our bodies process The same amounts of carbs and calories.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I don’t disagree however what the issue is how some people process it that can contribute to obesity. I will not be cutting carbs out for life but i have to be very careful and limit them. Meanwhile my skinny husband can stuff his face with carbs and never puts weight on.

Different metabolisms and different ways our bodies process The same amounts of carbs and calories.
High or low metabolism you cannot get around the fact that you need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss