Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:03 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,923,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
And I've heard that from a lot of people about the high carb diet that can have a negative impact on your cholesterol. That's crazy. I mean not saying I don't believe it, but it's something new I've learned. Do you know any foods off hand that raises a person's HDL?
Low carb diets raise HDL. Low carb diets also lower triglycerides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 09:24 PM

583 posts, read 713,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Low carb diets raise HDL. Low carb diets also lower triglycerides.
I definitely will keep that in mind. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2015, 10:50 PM

97 posts, read 118,975 times
Quote:
I ate something that day.
I would fast 8-12 hours and recheck it. The easiest time should be in the morning. Out of all the lipid panel labs, triglycerides can be skewed if you are not fasting.

I should have also asked do you drink alcohol?

Quote:
And I've heard that from a lot of people about the high carb diet that can have a negative impact on your cholesterol. That's crazy. I mean not saying I don't believe it, but it's something new I've learned. Do you know any foods off hand that raises a person's HDL?
Your fat consumption composition can play a role. You want to include more healthier fat choices into your diet (you can research this), gradually increase fiber consumption if it's inadequate, limit refined carbohydrates, moderate alcohol consumption. I would say what can help the most is consistent moderate to high intensity aerobic activity. Especially when done on consecutive days.

I would say although you want to avoid excessive carbohydrate in the diet especially high from refined sources and in conjunction of a caloric surplus, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to go on a 'low carb' diet. It's about balance, choosing nutrient dense foods, avoiding a net caloric surplus as a whole, alcohol in moderation, mindfulness, exercise and consistency of what you do.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingyman View Post
I would fast 8-12 hours and recheck it. The easiest time should be in the morning. Out of all the lipid panel labs, triglycerides can be skewed if you are not fasting.

I should have also asked do you drink alcohol?

Your fat consumption composition can play a role. You want to include more healthier fat choices into your diet (you can research this), gradually increase fiber consumption if it's inadequate, limit refined carbohydrates, moderate alcohol consumption. I would say what can help the most is consistent moderate to high intensity aerobic activity. Especially when done on consecutive days.

I would say although you want to avoid excessive carbohydrate in the diet especially high from refined sources and in conjunction of a caloric surplus, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to go on a 'low carb' diet. It's about balance, choosing nutrient dense foods, avoiding a net caloric surplus as a whole, alcohol in moderation, mindfulness, exercise and consistency of what you do.
I rarely drink alcohol.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,892,181 times
Quote:
My doctor said to eat healthy fats, nuts, avocado, fish, things like that.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My doctor said to eat healthy fats, nuts, avocado, fish, things like that.
Yes ma'am. I recently bought some nuts. I've been eating salmon too lately, since I love salmon. And I actually had some avocado the other day with dinner. On top of that, I'm making sure I stay active at least four days a week. I plan to increase that to five though. I dunno how much physical activity has an impact on cholesterol, but I don't mind trying and finding out.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Yes ma'am. I recently bought some nuts. I've been eating salmon too lately, since I love salmon. And I actually had some avocado the other day with dinner. On top of that, I'm making sure I stay active at least four days a week. I plan to increase that to five though. I dunno how much physical activity has an impact on cholesterol, but I don't mind trying and finding out.
Cholesterol or triglycerides?

Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Cholesterol or triglycerides?
I guess you could say triglycerides.....

Old 10-02-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I guess you could say triglycerides.....
Triglycerides can be lowered by eliminating sugar and lowering overall carb intake. Triglycerides can also be lowered by reducing alcohol consumption. Triglycerides can also be lowered by increasing exercise.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Triglycerides can be lowered by eliminating sugar and lowering overall carb intake. Triglycerides can also be lowered by reducing alcohol consumption. Triglycerides can also be lowered by increasing exercise.
As far as exercise goes, I definitely am active. As far as lowering my carb/sugar consumption, I have some work to do on that. Oh and by the way, since I've started this thread, I am down another 6 lbs. So I'm doing SOMETHING right lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss