Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:28 AM

583 posts, read 713,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe182 View Post
Didn't go through all the posts so forgive me if I'm repeating something somebody already said, but can you ask to have them tested again? It could be the machine needed to be calibrated or air got into the tube. I just say that because it happened to me, not with cholesterol but with my white blood cell count.
I'm a bit late for that now, since I've taken my latest readings, but I do know that the fish oil capsules helped make a difference as well as a change in what I ate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Statins can be bad...and even the medical community is re-evaluating their actual effectiveness.
My husband was Rx'd statins back in Sept 2014. He took them for-5 days. 5 days! and had to stop them immediately.
He was unable to work the 3rd day in. He developed the muscle wasting syndrome accompanied by the statin - rhabdomyolysis (rab-doe-mi-OL-ih-sis). He still has the one spot in his back muscle that flares up now and then.
5 days!...5 pills.
Okay, I told him to stop taking them immediately. Not make an appointment, wait, talk to the Dr..and THEN discontinue.
I did some research on statins. They are manufactured from a certain kind of mushroom. A fungus. "The first agent they identified was mevastatin (ML-236B), a molecule produced by the fungus Penicillium citrinum." In 1971, Akira Endo, a Japanese biochemist-according to wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statin

Anyway- the RX hubby was prescribed, was derived from mushrooms. DH is highly allergic to mushrooms anyways. So he may have had an acute severe reaction. But it only took 5 pills. 5 doses.

Most of the planet is aware that fungus and mushrooms can have beneficial effects on our health. But statin use is now coming under more scrutiny as to it's effectiveness versus the side effect issues.

DH went back to the Dr and had them put that information in his records that he had a severe reaction to the statin RX. And requested a change of physicians. The one who prescribed it?..she just said "here, take this.." and gave him the RX. She didn't even discuss it with him, nor take a family history before prescribing them.

I know this is just a CNN link, but the article has some good information in it as well as other links.

Not on cholesterol meds? New guidelines may change that - CNN.com
Scary stuff.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:35 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
Scary stuff.
Yes it is. But he is much better now. His Dr didn't even know statins are derived from fungi.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Yes it is. But he is much better now. His Dr didn't even know statins are derived from fungi.
I didn't for that matter. Thanks for the info. I am glad he is better too. I do my best to stay away from prescribed drugs. FDA makes too much money off of us, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I didn't for that matter. Thanks for the info. I am glad he is better too. I do my best to stay away from prescribed drugs. FDA makes too much money off of us, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:11 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Low carb diets raise HDL. Low carb diets also lower triglycerides.
I get a little nervous when I see comments like this, because people who don't have even a basic grasp of nutrition and its affect on health can very quickly come to the conclusion that carbohydrates are dangerous. They are not, and plenty of people around the world thrive on high carbohydrate diets. In first world nations, however, we eat enormous amounts of simple carbohydrates, most of all sugar. Sugar is often the culprit when lipid profiles and, specifically, triglycerides are out of whack.

You'd think that your doctor would be a great source of information about nutritional therapy for high cholesterol, but medical students receive very little nutrition education, and most don't go out and learn it on their own once in practice. OR they know exactly how to counsel patients on nutrition but refrain, because they know that few patients will comply. A statin drug is just easier. They treat themselves that way, too. My own child's pediatrician, who has posters all over his office about fighting childhood obesity is at least seventy-five pounds overweight and looks like he has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel. Why? Because eating to live a long life is hard in a culture that is constantly pushing the wrong kinds of foods to keep us healthy.

BTW, I eat a diet very high in complex carbohydrates (beans, whole grains, vegetables, and fruits), moderate amounts of fat (nuts, olive oil, and avocados), minimal dairy, a small amount of fish and eggs, and very little sugar. My triglycerides and VLDL are very low, my LDL is average, and my HDL is extremely high, putting me at low risk for heart disease.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-08-2015 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-08-2015, 09:39 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Congratulations, OP, on successfully losing weight and on improving your lipid profile. Very impressive!

Last edited by randomparent; 12-08-2015 at 10:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss