Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 12:39 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
As far as exercise goes, I definitely am active. As far as lowering my carb/sugar consumption, I have some work to do on that. Oh and by the way, since I've started this thread, I am down another 6 lbs. So I'm doing SOMETHING right lol
Losing weight is always good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 09:28 AM

583 posts, read 713,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I plan to get my triglycerides checked again in November. I will let you know what it says.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:35 AM

824 posts, read 2,337,235 times
Quote:
Low carb diets raise HDL. Low carb diets also lower triglycerides.
It is shameful that a large percentage of the medical community is not shouting this from the rooftops. The obesity epidemic and related cardiac issues are tied to refined carbohydrates and sugars. Fat, including saturated fat, is not the enemy, it is the ally.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:55 AM

Default Update

Quote:
Here is my update as promised. My overall cholesterol went down from 214 to 129. My triglycerides went down from 157 to <45. I have lost a total of 45 lbs to date and counting. I must say I am proud of myself. Thank you and everyone in this thread for the wonderful advice you have given.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:22 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,925,141 times
Quote:
Here is my update as promised. My overall cholesterol went down from 214 to 129. My triglycerides went down from 157 to <45. I have lost a total of 45 lbs to date and counting. I must say I am proud of myself. Thank you and everyone in this thread for the wonderful advice you have given.
I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you!

Old 12-01-2015, 06:37 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,502,666 times
Quote:
Wow! Awesome numbers. Much congrats to you. All that hard work you did is paying off.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:46 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,813,945 times
Quote:
I am not sure if anyone has ever experienced this, but I found it rather awkward that during a screening, I got my lipids taken and my triglyceride levels were high, and I don't understand what for, since I have lost 30 pounds in the past few months through eating less and exercising. Has this ever happened to any of you? What did you do about it without statin therapy?
Didn't go through all the posts so forgive me if I'm repeating something somebody already said, but can you ask to have them tested again? It could be the machine needed to be calibrated or air got into the tube. I just say that because it happened to me, not with cholesterol but with my white blood cell count.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:28 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,878,000 times
Try to stay under 200 and otherwise don't worry that much about cholesterol as IT DOES NOT CAUSE. HEART DiSEASE!!!! The medical profession lacks the total picture and it will take years to "get" as MD's and DO's are not interested in keeping abreast with findings that heart disease is primarily related to information, poorly absorbed calcium, heavy metals and the deposits associated with mineralized over dosing on spring water. cholesterol likes to stick to inflammatory vessels and can contribute as the plaque can essentially cut into vessel lining producing a clot ,but lower limb embellious ( traveling clots) are a greater threat.

Here is a little trick prior to suing manufactures of statins and phycians who like 1st year med students
prescribe statins like water. Keep records of your labs ,but always request enzymes and get documentation of joint paint and short memory loss. The statins will strip the protective cholesterol coating around your brain neurons turning you into a moron!!! Then lie to your doctor and stop statins
and get the lab that will inevitably return your enzymes to normal. Your GFR ( filtration rate) of your kidney's also then use the script, lab variances, and leading cardiologists reports that stations are a scam, get lawyer and take them down town!!!

Last edited by openmike; 12-02-2015 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 04:40 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,901 times
Statins can be bad...and even the medical community is re-evaluating their actual effectiveness.
My husband was Rx'd statins back in Sept 2014. He took them for-5 days. 5 days! and had to stop them immediately.
He was unable to work the 3rd day in. He developed the muscle wasting syndrome accompanied by the statin - rhabdomyolysis (rab-doe-mi-OL-ih-sis). He still has the one spot in his back muscle that flares up now and then.
5 days!...5 pills.
Okay, I told him to stop taking them immediately. Not make an appointment, wait, talk to the Dr..and THEN discontinue.
I did some research on statins. They are manufactured from a certain kind of mushroom. A fungus. "The first agent they identified was mevastatin (ML-236B), a molecule produced by the fungus Penicillium citrinum." In 1971, Akira Endo, a Japanese biochemist-according to wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statin

Anyway- the RX hubby was prescribed, was derived from mushrooms. DH is highly allergic to mushrooms anyways. So he may have had an acute severe reaction. But it only took 5 pills. 5 doses.

Most of the planet is aware that fungus and mushrooms can have beneficial effects on our health. But statin use is now coming under more scrutiny as to it's effectiveness versus the side effect issues.

DH went back to the Dr and had them put that information in his records that he had a severe reaction to the statin RX. And requested a change of physicians. The one who prescribed it?..she just said "here, take this.." and gave him the RX. She didn't even discuss it with him, nor take a family history before prescribing them.

I know this is just a CNN link, but the article has some good information in it as well as other links.

Not on cholesterol meds? New guidelines may change that - CNN.com

Old 12-03-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you!
Thank you! At my job we also had this weight loss challenge going on and I participated in it and in that I lost 15 lbs and 5.3% of my body weight and I won 2nd place and my prize was a $50 Visa gift card. I could definitely go for some more clothes because the ones I have been wearing as of late are baggy LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss