Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:02 AM

583 posts, read 712,884 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if anyone has ever experienced this, but I found it rather awkward that during a screening, I got my lipids taken and my triglyceride levels were high, and I don't understand what for, since I have lost 30 pounds in the past few months through eating less and exercising. Has this ever happened to any of you? What did you do about it without statin therapy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 02:16 PM

13,247 posts, read 7,304,105 times
What type of food are you eating? I cut all beef products and my cholesterol went from 220 to 170 without even losing weight. If you already are on a low sat fat diet high vegetable you probably have to go on Statin. My manager just had a heart attack he has been thin his whole life, and active. He always ate high beef diet like burgers, stakes and such. He had to get 1 stent put in 99% plugged same thing with my Brother in law about 3 months ago both about the same age mid 50's. Like both of them I also have a family history of Cholesterol my Grandfather was very thin but his was over 400 without stantin's. I have been overweight and had numbers in the mid 200's for years until I dropped the beef but still my LDL is about %75 of that. So far I have lost about 30 lbs in 100 days ill be going to the doctor in December to get checked hope it's lower.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:55 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
I am not sure if anyone has ever experienced this, but I found it rather awkward that during a screening, I got my lipids taken and my triglyceride levels were high, and I don't understand what for, since I have lost 30 pounds in the past few months through eating less and exercising. Has this ever happened to any of you? What did you do about it without statin therapy?
Have you been eating a lot of "diet" foods? Many processed diet foods that are touted as low fat are quite high in sugars and other carbs. A diet high in carbs is known to increase triglycerides. You can lose weight by eating fewer calories but the composition of those calories matter with respect to triglyceride levels.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
What type of food are you eating? I cut all beef products and my cholesterol went from 220 to 170 without even losing weight. If you already are on a low sat fat diet high vegetable you probably have to go on Statin. My manager just had a heart attack he has been thin his whole life, and active. He always ate high beef diet like burgers, stakes and such. He had to get 1 stent put in 99% plugged same thing with my Brother in law about 3 months ago both about the same age mid 50's. Like both of them I also have a family history of Cholesterol my Grandfather was very thin but his was over 400 without stantin's. I have been overweight and had numbers in the mid 200's for years until I dropped the beef but still my LDL is about %75 of that. So far I have lost about 30 lbs in 100 days ill be going to the doctor in December to get checked hope it's lower.
I eat beef once a week, sometimes twice a week. Sometimes I've eaten fried stuff, which I know I need to stop doing, so I can change that and see what happens. How often did you eat beef, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-12-2015, 06:45 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
My cholesterol went up when I lost weight (150 lbs lost). My doctor said that meant my high cholesterol was genetic and started me on statins. I got hives with the first statin, memory loss and hair loss with the second one, and my cholesterol didn't go down, so she increased the dose of the second statin. It really affected my ability to think (couldn't remember how to multiply), so I stopped taking it. After that she prescribed something expensive that was supposed to lower cholesterol but wasn't a statin, and it made me itch so much that I'd wake up with bloody legs from scratching in my sleep. So then she suggested red yeast rice, a supplement. It gave me the same memory problems as pravastatin. I'm not taking anything for my cholesterol now except fish oil and flax seed oil. I told my doctor that if I have a choice between dying younger because of high cholesterol and living to a ripe old age with big memory gaps and being unable to do math calculations because of taking statins, I'd rather check out younger with my brain somewhat intact.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My cholesterol went up when I lost weight (150 lbs lost). My doctor said that meant my high cholesterol was genetic and started me on statins. I got hives with the first statin, memory loss and hair loss with the second one, and my cholesterol didn't go down, so she increased the dose of the second statin. It really affected my ability to think (couldn't remember how to multiply), so I stopped taking it. After that she prescribed something expensive that was supposed to lower cholesterol but wasn't a statin, and it made me itch so much that I'd wake up with bloody legs from scratching in my sleep. So then she suggested red yeast rice, a supplement. It gave me the same memory problems as pravastatin. I'm not taking anything for my cholesterol now except fish oil and flax seed oil. I told my doctor that if I have a choice between dying younger because of high cholesterol and living to a ripe old age with big memory gaps and being unable to do math calculations because of taking statins, I'd rather check out younger with my brain somewhat intact.
Damn, I'm sorry you had to go through that stuff. I went and bought some fish oil supplements tonight and hopefully that will help. My cholesterol has been fine until I gained all this weight. I don't have a family history of cholesterol. I do have a family history of diabetes and hypertension for sure, so I have been keeping an eye on that. I have been making it a mission to stay as far away from prescribed medications as possible, because once you're put on it, it's hard to get you off of them. I have heard great things about fish oil with Omega 3 (Nature Made Brand) so I will take my first dose tonight.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:52 AM

21 posts, read 23,703 times
Quote:
I eat beef once a week, sometimes twice a week. Sometimes I've eaten fried stuff, which I know I need to stop doing, so I can change that and see what happens. How often did you eat beef, if you don't mind me asking?
I've always thought that if you're losing weight through exercising things like cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood level would eventually go down drastically, and I thought that since you're exercising, which means that you're burning calories, you can just eat whatever you want, but that wasn't the case at all. It seems like eating right is as important as exercising. I'd recommend you to focus much more on eating things that will help you deal with that problem.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:06 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
Some newer research is saying that cholesterol is not something to worry about. Your body needs it, especially your brain. I've seen some that are saying that low cholesterol could be a contributing factor to Alzheimers and ALS. I'm still researching. I wouldn't worry too much. I've read that 1/2 of all people admitted to hospitals for heart attacks had normal cholesterol. There are also serious concerns about the damage done to peoples bodies taking stain drugs.

Think about it for a minute. There are lots of old people running around in their 90's who never even thought about low cholesterol, high fat, low fat, non fat, fiber etc. Personally, I think the medical establishment is just pushing pills in a lot of cases, very expensive pills.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Some newer research is saying that cholesterol is not something to worry about. Your body needs it, especially your brain. I've seen some that are saying that low cholesterol could be a contributing factor to Alzheimers and ALS. I'm still researching. I wouldn't worry too much. I've read that 1/2 of all people admitted to hospitals for heart attacks had normal cholesterol. There are also serious concerns about the damage done to peoples bodies taking stain drugs.

Think about it for a minute. There are lots of old people running around in their 90's who never even thought about low cholesterol, high fat, low fat, non fat, fiber etc. Personally, I think the medical establishment is just pushing pills in a lot of cases, very expensive pills.
What kind of damage have you found out that Statin drugs have done?

Old 09-14-2015, 12:54 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
What kind of damage have you found out that Statin drugs have done?
Statins have had warnings for muscle damage for a long time, but they're changing the warning to list medications that interact with statins to cause those problems. They've added new warnings. FDA Expands Advice on Statin Risks Cognitive problems, increased risk of type 2 diabetes.

Since you mentioned that type 2 diabetes runs in your family, I'll mention this...if you're diagnosed with diabetes, they want your cholesterol to be even lower to be considered normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss