Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:54 PM

504 posts, read 851,957 times

Advertisements

I have been on a low-carbohydrate diet for about a year. I follow it, as others have mentioned, as a way to control blood glucose levels along with only a small dose (500mg) of the Metformin mentioned earlier. I've also steadily lost weight (~45 pounds), and don't have any hunger or craving issues. I eat, generally, less than 50g of carbohydrates a day spread out over meals/snacks. My carbs come mostly from things that also have fiber - vegetables, flax/chia seeds, nuts, berries, unsweetened cocoa, etc. Also some dairy. I try to make "healthy" fats the largest portion of my diet, but do not avoid animal/saturated fats. It's been really easy to stick with for me, and I don't see any issues just eating this way for the rest of my life.

My lipid profiles have also greatly improved. As has my HBA1C (blood glucose level 'average')
A year ago: LDL 163, HDL 38, vldl 39, triglycerides 245. HBA1C = 11 (All bad, lol)
Last lab results were: LDL 96, HDL 50, vldl 20, and triglycerides 90. HBA1C = 5.5 (woo hoo)

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 05:26 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,348 times
I just started the low carb thing a week ago, on my doctors recommendation. Reading these posts have been very interesting. I am not diabetic but am overweight.

So far I have been doing pretty well with the diet. I am eating a lot of salads and fish. I am using a low carb tortilla wrap instead of bread and making fish tacos. I also purchased some tasty salmon jerky which is pretty low carb.

It is a bit of a challenge taking lunch to work, but I have done ok. Either I package up a salad or some other low carb meal. I work some long hours, so avoiding snacking is a key to my success or failur. So far I have not gotten too hungry.

One question I have is about protein shakes. My doctor suggested them, but I am not sure which ones to try. Any thoughts?

Old 03-24-2016, 05:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
How long have you followed this approach?
Are you at a healthy weight that is your goal weight? If so, how long have you been there?
I have been following a low carb for years...8-10 ?
The only couple times I gained a few pounds were bec of a break up and I said the heck
with it one winter.
It is the way I eat period.

Can I have fish and chips and a beer once every few months...sure.
Goal weight? I'm perfect.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:00 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
I stopped bringing breads into my house about 7 yrs ago...first started buying gluten free and didn't really like and then said "I don't need bread"...to me bread is dead.

I buy gluten free crackers and just found a new brand the other day at the market, Miltons, and they are so so good. I don't buy junk crap, eat a half klondike a few times a week while watching tv and some gluten free chips....but otherwise low carb here. I get enough carbs in the veggies. My weight is so so...but with hip mess I live with, it's tough to do the walking I did all my life and the rigorous exercise. I do gentle work to keep moving. Having extra weight as we get older is NOT a bad thing...being too thin is not what it's about.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:26 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

Strict LCHF <20 gram carbs per day
Moderate LCHF 20-50 grams per day
Liberal LCHF 50-100 grams per day
If you have time, could you list the food you eat on each of those kinds of days?

BTW, congratulations on keeping the weight off and getting healthier for this long. You are one of the few success stories out there.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:18 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Skip the low-carb idea and just cut out the white flour and white sugar. Carbs aren't evil. Stuff like bread, however, even when it's whole grain, comes with a lot of things you don't really need. Oatmeal is great for you - pretty high carb, but mostly slow-absorbing.

Up your fiber and up your protein; make your peace with fats (which are not bad for you within reason). And target unprocessed carbs as a balanced part of your diet.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:01 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
It just like any diet.........stop doing it and start eating like c9@p, yeah, you are going to get fat and unhealthy again.

If you want to do low carb, you have to be smart and find what works for you. For some people, low carb is 100 grams a day of carbs, and they do fine. Others, 40 grams a day is too much. You have to be willing to put some work into figuring out what you can live with on a low-carb diet and also what truly makes you feel the best.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:14 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Skip the low-carb idea and just cut out the white flour and white sugar. Carbs aren't evil. Stuff like bread, however, even when it's whole grain, comes with a lot of things you don't really need. Oatmeal is great for you - pretty high carb, but mostly slow-absorbing.

Up your fiber and up your protein; make your peace with fats (which are not bad for you within reason). And target unprocessed carbs as a balanced part of your diet.
Carbs aren't evil but they make me fat. If a person is trying to keep carbs under 50g per day it's pretty hard to incorporate oatmeal into the diet.

As far as the original topic of this thread I have been eating low carb for about 18 months with no problem.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:45 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've found that endocrinologists support the low-carb diet, especially for diabetic and pre-diabetic patients, because it controls insulin. Excess carbs provoke insulin, and that not only leads to insulin resistance, it also tends to cause the body to produce and retain excess fat. A low-carb higher-protein diet also keeps stress hormones stable, which is important for keeping blood sugar under control.
My husband went back to a low carb diet recently. His mom and brother both have type II diabetes and his father (deceased) also did. None of them take/took particularly good care of themselves.

I know it's to lose weight but now that my MIL has reached CKD to the point of dialysis, he's also gone back to low carb to keep the diabetes away, especially knowing that he's prone to it.

Quote:
I'm no fan of this approach. However, I'm a pretty big believer in long-term results being the indicator of success, so I'm open to changing my viewpoint on this.

My question to you is how many of you who advocate this kind of approach have been able to maintain this type of diet and a healthy weight goal for five years or longer? How many people do you personally know who have done this? Also, for yourselves or for people you know who have done this, what are your blood health markers like after five years or more of following this approach?

And finally, what is the approximate percentage of calories from each nutrient (carb, fat, protein) in your diet as a whole?
Well, not five years but my husband was low carb for about three years. He initially had lost quite a bit of weight (over seventy-five pounds) and although after going off of the diet he did put on some weight, he'd always kept at least fifty pounds permanently off. It's probably mostly my fault that he went off of low carb and he has tried a variety of diets (and I mean diet in the sense of "lifestyle change" not to lose a few) but low carb seems to click with him better. Mentally, it works for him. With this lifestyle, he seems to really be able to stick with it more than any other thing, when he does do it.

He does not count calories being low carb. He just counts carbs. If he's trying to be very good, he sticks to <20 g/day, especially because he is back to trying to lose weight. Reasonably, <30 g/day. He does have one "cheat" meal per week. I really do think he is going to stick with this for good and he is the type of person who could. Me? Not so much I love carbs but I do not have weight issues whereas he does and seems to be easily affected by carbs.

Quote:
If you have time, could you list the food you eat on each of those kinds of days?
I know you didn't direct this at me, but I will say we try to keep our house stocked with the following: bacon, eggs, cheese, mayo, low carb wraps, veggies that are low carb, various meats/fish, sugar free jell-o, pork rinds, etc.

For breakfast, he might have some eggs with cheese or veggies or both. For lunch, he usually has some type of protein with his low carb wrap over a salad and some veggies. For dinner it's usually some meat with veggies. There are a lot of recipes out there to change it up and there are a lot of substitutions that people come up with to "fake" carbs. I know a lot of people think that all of the cheese, eggs and bacon really adds to the cholesterol, but he's never had an issue. If he wants a drink, he imbibes in either liquor or a "low carb beer."

Old 03-28-2016, 08:50 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Quote:

BTW, congratulations on keeping the weight off and getting healthier for this long. You are one of the few success stories out there.
Thanks. If you are not diabetic like me then blood sugar is not a concern and your restrictions will be less. If this is the case you can take an approach like the Atkins diet where you can simply count carbs.

I would still avoid desserts, candies, and pastries; all foods made from grains and grain flours such as breads, cereals, pasta, and rice; all starchy vegetables such as potatoes. The 'whites' pack on the pounds as a general rule and eliminating them will help you drop the pounds.

Allow yourself a certain amount per day or meal (I use 20 per meal). It's real easy to get to the 20 grams if you still consume the grains or sugars. One slice of white bread is 15g just to give you an idea. 20 grams is the level I choose. You could be a little more liberal.

Some really strict diets will call for cutting out stuff like carrots, peas, tomatoes and root vegetables such as onions. This is a diabetic thing and not a low carb thing. I control my BG with medication so I do not have to be that strict, I allow all of these especially tomatoes and onions. Many type 2 diabetics choose to control it their BG with just diet and a very low dose of meds so they have to be more strict.

As a general rule of thumb you should read labels where you can until you become well familiar with what has a lot of carbs or not. Don't assume anything is low carb, read the label if it's packaged or look it up. For the stuff with no labels there are plenty of online resources.

Again it's the total daily or meal carbs that matter Consistency is the key and try your hardest NOT to cheat. Good luck if you decide to go for it.

Once you get used to this diet it is REAL easy to stay on it and in fact you feel guilty when you eat something you shouldn't. Also, once your body adjusts you do not feel hungry at all during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss