Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 06:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,911,132 times

Advertisements

I'm no fan of this approach. However, I'm a pretty big believer in long-term results being the indicator of success, so I'm open to changing my viewpoint on this.

My question to you is how many of you who advocate this kind of approach have been able to maintain this type of diet and a healthy weight goal for five years or longer? How many people do you personally know who have done this? Also, for yourselves or for people you know who have done this, what are your blood health markers like after five years or more of following this approach?

And finally, what is the approximate percentage of calories from each nutrient (carb, fat, protein) in your diet as a whole?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 06:15 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,450,396 times
Talk to your doctor about the possibility of gallbladder damage from a low carb diet. I lost a lot of weight as well as my gallbladder. Doctor said it was a very common occurrence.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Talk to your doctor about the possibility of gallbladder damage from a low carb diet. I lost a lot of weight as well as my gallbladder. Doctor said it was a very common occurrence.
Have you been able to follow this type of eating program for multiple years? If so, have you maintained healthy weight and healthy blood profiles?

Personally, I'm not interested in a low-carb diet for myself. I pretty much eat the opposite, very high carbs, mostly plant-based. . Ii've maintained high levels of fitness, healthy blood profiles, and low body fat percentage for many years, so this is not for me, per se.

My interest is more along the lines of just opening my mind to others opinions based on their long-term results.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:45 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
I'm no fan of this approach. However, I'm a pretty big believer in long-term results being the indicator of success, so I'm open to changing my viewpoint on this.

My question to you is how many of you who advocate this kind of approach have been able to maintain this type of diet and a healthy weight goal for five years or longer?
Right there your question kinda falls apart because there is no rule stating that the diet one loses weight with is the diet they must use to maintain. In fact, in many cases (such as my own) it is neither optimal nor even wise to continue a low carb approach once the goal has been reached.

And of course, there are a multitude of variations of low carb style diets.

Quote:
How many people do you personally know who have done this?
At least 10 or so who have used some variation of low carb approaches.

Quote:
Also, for yourselves or for people you know who have done this, what are your blood health markers like after five years or more of following this approach?
I've personally seen blood test results from three people (not including myself): 1 showed significant improvement at 6-8 months though she was borderline obese to begin with. Two others who were overweight but not obese showed slight to moderate improvements.

Quote:
And finally, what is the approximate percentage of calories from each nutrient (carb, fat, protein) in your diet as a whole?
Depends on the specific diet.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Right there your question kinda falls apart because there is no rule stating that the diet one loses weight with is the diet they must use to maintain. In fact, in many cases (such as my own) it is neither optimal nor even wise to continue a low carb approach once the goal has been reached.

And of course, there are a multitude of variations of low carb style diets.

At least 10 or so who have used some variation of low carb approaches.

I've personally seen blood test results from three people (not including myself): 1 showed significant improvement at 6-8 months though she was borderline obese to begin with. Two others who were overweight but not obese showed slight to moderate improvements.

Depends on the specific diet.

Interesting. So, for the people who lose the weight or maintain the healthy weight, are you saying that many times the low-carb approach is only temporary? If so, what happens after that? Does it basically happen one time and then the weight has been maintained after that? Or does the low-carb approach have to happen multiple times and each time the wait is gained back?

Old 03-23-2016, 06:51 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
I am a low carb person ...love it and live it...feel great ...no weight issues.
I can't imagine wanting pasta or bread with anything. Off cheese also.
It's a way of life once you read about flour, ick...our ancestors were really
hunter gatherers, this is natural.
Sorry, didn't ans your detailed questions.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I am a low carb person ...love it and live it...feel great ...no weight issues.
I can't imagine wanting pasta or bread with anything. Off cheese also.
It's a way of life once you read about flour, ick...our ancestors were really
hunter gatherers, this is natural.
Sorry, didn't ans your detailed questions.

How long have you followed this approach? Are you at a healthy weight that is your goal weight? If so, how long have you been there?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:40 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Interesting. So, for the people who lose the weight or maintain the healthy weight, are you saying that many times the low-carb approach is only temporary?
That's up to the individual. There are some who enjoy low carb eating and stick with that. Others prefer to migrate to a more balanced approach. There is no right or wrong answer, assuming the dieter is responsible and does not regain the weight that is lost.

Quote:
If so, what happens after that?
Again, depends on individual preference.

Quote:
Does it basically happen one time and then the weight has been maintained after that? Or does the low-carb approach have to happen multiple times and each time the wait is gained back?
Again, this depends on the individual. Ideally, any diet to lose weight will see the individual lose the weight and keep it off. The reality of the matter is often different though.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
That's up to the individual. There are some who enjoy low carb eating and stick with that. Others prefer to migrate to a more balanced approach. There is no right or wrong answer, assuming the dieter is responsible and does not regain the weight that is lost.

Again, depends on individual preference.

Again, this depends on the individual. Ideally, any diet to lose weight will see the individual lose the weight and keep it off. The reality of the matter is often different though.

What do you use this approach for with your personal eating plan? How often do you use it?

Old 03-24-2016, 07:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,483,762 times
Weight loss is not the only reason to go low carb. My main reason is blood sugar control. I am type 2 diabetic and in my case it means the difference between serious health complications and eventually death or not. My body has broke down and cannot produce enough insulin to compensate for high levels of carbohydrates. Since carbohydrates are essentially glucose (sugar) you tell me which way I should eat? Also, it is my belief that many years or consuming excessive carbs and being sedentary could be a factor in getting diabetes. As an analogy, Asians consume large quantities of rice as we all know and I don't think there is a prevalence if diabetes among them and in fact there are very few fat Asians. The difference with them is they actually get off of their butt and are active. That is not the case with many Americans.

Last edited by gguerra; 03-24-2016 at 07:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss