Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 08:38 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Totally wrong. Getting rid of animal products does not lead to significant lean body mass decreases.
No, but inadequate overall protein intake does, and your recommendation would eliminate sources of excellent lean protein and undoubtedly leave the OP well short of the intake levels they'd need to protect against the loss of LBM.

Quote:
What is terrible advice is the over use of animal protein in the misguided attempt to add muscle mass.
I previously asked you another thread to qualify what "over use" would be and you failed to respond. I'll give you another chance here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 09:47 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
No, but inadequate overall protein intake does, and your recommendation would eliminate sources of excellent lean protein and undoubtedly leave the OP well short of the intake levels they'd need to protect against the loss of LBM.

I previously asked you another thread to qualify what "over use" would be and you failed to respond. I'll give you another chance here.

The sources I listed on #1 will give more than adequate amounts of protein.

Overuse would be any increase in animal products in an attempt to meet protein needs.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:03 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
The sources I listed on #1 will give more than adequate amounts of protein.
Really? Let's check the numbers on that. I'll use myself as an example, since I'm carrying roughly 200lbs of LBM. That means I'm going to need between 170 and 300 grams of protein (or 0.85g-1.5g per lb of LBM) to maintain my muscle mass. You're telling me I can reasonably accomplish that on a diet of grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes? How about doing so while maintaining any real caloric deficit, since the protein/calorie ratios of those foods are usually about double that of lean protein?

Quote:
Overuse would be any increase in animal products in an attempt to meet protein needs.
This lacks any context. What's the starting point? What's the ending point?

Old 04-10-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Really? Let's check the numbers on that. I'll use myself as an example, since I'm carrying roughly 200lbs of LBM. That means I'm going to need between 170 and 300 grams of protein (or 0.85g-1.5g per lb of LBM) to maintain my muscle mass. You're telling me I can reasonably accomplish that on a diet of grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes? How about doing so while maintaining any real caloric deficit, since the protein/calorie ratios of those foods are usually about double that of lean protein?

This lacks any context. What's the starting point? What's the ending point?

You don't need that much protein to maintain your muscle mass. But knock yourself out doing that. Just don't be surprised when you get cancer and/or heart disease in your 50s or 60s.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:30 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
You don't need that much protein to maintain your muscle mass. But knock yourself out doing that. Just don't be surprised when you get cancer and/or heart disease in your 50s or 60s.
The myth of meat continues. My trainer is a body builder and just competed. He does not do any steroids and has been a vegetarian for quite some time. He is ripped. Go figure.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:55 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Rice is a grain.
Avoid wheat. Americans really don't need to consume any modern wheat. It really speeds up weight loss if one avoids it also..

Old 04-10-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The myth of meat continues. My trainer is a body builder and just competed. He does not do any steroids and has been a vegetarian for quite some time. He is ripped. Go figure.
Yes this. And the myth of needing a boatload of protein also.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 04-10-2016 at 02:00 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 12:37 PM

380 posts, read 652,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariton View Post
Gaining more or less 8 kilos in just 4 months is too bad for me. How could i go back and lose those unwanted fats without taking any burning pills? Looking forward to wear swim suits this coming summer and sexy attires this spring. 😘
What's your height, current weight, and age? Are you female or male? What do you currently do in terms of exercise?

Old 04-10-2016, 02:34 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Avoid wheat. Americans really don't need to consume any modern wheat. It really speeds up weight loss if one avoids it also..
Another myth.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Another myth.
Exactly.

Anti-wheat = the latest snake oil health fad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss