Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:18 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You don't need that much protein to maintain your muscle mass.
Then I have two questions: How much do I need, and do you have any actual data supporting such a position? (Hint; I have peer reviewed studies that back up my positions)

Quote:
But knock yourself out doing that. Just don't be surprised when you get cancer and/or heart disease in your 50s or 60s.
Same question as before. Do you have actual data supporting your assertion that high protein intakes cause cancer or heart disease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
The myth of meat continues. My trainer is a body builder and just competed. He does not do any steroids and has been a vegetarian for quite some time. He is ripped. Go figure.
How much protein does he consume daily?

Old 04-10-2016, 04:33 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Then I have two questions: How much do I need, and do you have any actual data supporting such a position? (Hint; I have peer reviewed studies that back up my positions)

Same question as before. Do you have actual data supporting your assertion that high protein intakes cause cancer or heart disease?
Feel free to link to your peer reviewed studies. I'm all ears.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 927 times
Default Burn fat ,keep muscle

From what I understand, excess protein is stored in your liver and released as glucose when you body glucose is running out. If the extra glucose is not being turned into muscle ,it will just add to fat. I'm diabetic, If I eat too much protein and don't workout my blood sugar has a huge spike upward 6-7 hours later. For a non diabetic all this would be fat. I can calculate my insulin ratios reliably to account for the blood sugar spike. I can see with my blood sugar that I have not worked out enough to cover my protein serving. I experimented enough to fine tune my protein intake and keep my blood sugar normal.

Type-1 Diabetics have to be careful with any kind of changes with weight loss. I would tend to lose a lot of muscle mass and fat. I would lose the weight and look and feel like crap afterword . My brother nagged me to try Plexus Slim , I finally gave it a shot. I was skeptical at first. They advertise "Burning fat, not muscle". I have been using it for 2 months now and feel great. I am able to maintain my muscle mass and stay in my target goals, just drank it once before breakfast and drank lots of water. I didn't change anything but adding slim and more water to my diet.

I've added the Shamrock triple Gym to my workout, this thing is awesome.
Bodyweight Strength Training by Bret Contreras is a great book with precise illustrations.

Good Luck

T1Don
[URL="http://www.pinkdrinkchoice.com"]Pink Drink Choice - Plexus Slim - Products - Information - Review[/URL]

Old 04-10-2016, 05:49 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
How much protein does he consume daily?
Never asked.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:11 PM

417 posts, read 345,322 times
1. No pastas, white breads, rice, potatoes, corn,
2. No soda just 64oz of water a day
3. Lean no fat meat, nuts are a good source of proteins
4. Focus on cardio 4 days a week and then weight lift for 2 days out of the week.
5. After you work out have a small thing of chocolate milk.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:58 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
The bolded part is terrible advice and would result in significant loss of lean body mass. As a general rule, protein intake needs go up while dieting and cutting out meats (especially lean/healthy ones like chicken and most fish) takes out a great protein source with little to none physiological justification.

As to the OP's question, if you're wanting to lose weight fast, a protein sparing modified fast like this one is your best and safest bet.
Not necessarily. Most people get way more protein than they need, and there's plenty of other ways of getting protein on either a vegetarian or vegan diet. B12 is a problem not protein. Do I do that? No. I like meat. I agree that there's little to no physiological justification for cutting them out but there's no shortage of other protein sources that aren't just as healthy if not healthier.

FWIW, PSMF is one of the old diets that recently got rediscovered by the junk science nutrition world (Paleo). Actual scientific data on PSFM is just lacking. What there is just looked at body weight and not composition. Less extreme carb-limited diets with less calorie deficit do work well at preserving, and in some cases even increasing, lean body mass. Just another example of junk science nutrition there, the idea that you can't increase lean body mass on a calorie deficit. Lyle is one of the more solid sources but it's stretching the science there. It's also still a crash diet. Not that crash diets aren't effective, but they're hard, much harder than a slow and steady diet. Crash diet for a week or two and go off on a more reasonable carb-limited diet with less calorie deficit, fine. Crash diet for a week or two and YOYO is what most people do, if they even make it through a week.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:10 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
1. No pastas, white breads, rice, potatoes, corn,
2. No soda just 64oz of water a day
3. Lean no fat meat, nuts are a good source of proteins
4. Focus on cardio 4 days a week and then weight lift for 2 days out of the week.
5. After you work out have a small thing of chocolate milk.
Small thing of chocolate milk has 22 grams of sugar.
A small thing (7.5 oz can) of Coca Cola has 25 grams of sugar. Not much different. It's a great recovery drink but how much you even need that depends on intensity workout. Eg if cardio is walking two miles (30 minutes, 4 mph pace) and you have that glass of chocolate milk... well, that's great and all but realize the net calorie effect is less than zero. Unless you're really heavy, that small thing of chocolate milk has more calories in it than you burned exercising. Skip the chocolate milk. It's completely unnecessary. On the other hand if your four days of cardio is running 5 miles, then it might not be such a bad idea. If the reward is what gets you out walking 2 miles, fine, just maybe walk 3 miles instead of 2 so the reward isn't more calories than the exercise.

Last edited by Malloric; 04-11-2016 at 12:10 AM..

Old 04-11-2016, 06:11 AM

417 posts, read 345,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Small thing of chocolate milk has 22 grams of sugar.
A small thing (7.5 oz can) of Coca Cola has 25 grams of sugar. Not much different. It's a great recovery drink but how much you even need that depends on intensity workout. Eg if cardio is walking two miles (30 minutes, 4 mph pace) and you have that glass of chocolate milk... well, that's great and all but realize the net calorie effect is less than zero. Unless you're really heavy, that small thing of chocolate milk has more calories in it than you burned exercising. Skip the chocolate milk. It's completely unnecessary. On the other hand if your four days of cardio is running 5 miles, then it might not be such a bad idea. If the reward is what gets you out walking 2 miles, fine, just maybe walk 3 miles instead of 2 so the reward isn't more calories than the exercise.
I do a class called insanity and I am burning 1000 calories each time, I recommend taking some sort of work out class, I think you get a better workout that way and you are working with a professional so they know how far to push you.
Also don't push yourself if you've never worked out before just do 20 minutes of walking 20 minutes of jogging. Then work up to doing miles. Just don't overdo it when you are first starting. That is a sure fire way to an injury.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Feel free to link to your peer reviewed studies. I'm all ears.
I gave you several in this post here almost two weeks ago. Unsurprisingly, after I posted that, you never returned to the thread to discuss or refute them, much like I expect you will do here.

Though I know I am ultimately wasting my time with you, here are a couple more:

Nutrients, satiety, and control of energy intake. - PubMed - NCBI

» New Study on Protein Overfeeding: A Critical Analysis (discusses a study where strength training test subjects who consumed additional protein added more LBM than the subjects who did not)

» High Protein Intake: Myths and Misconceptions About Safety (Part 1) (refutes claims that high protein intakes have negative health effects - links to multiple studies including in text)

» Search Results » protein (discusses the TEF for protein, also a study where elderly trainees lost muscle mass while following the RDA guidelines on protein intake)

» High Protein Diets and Kidney Function (discusses the myth that high protein diets negatively effect kidney function)

Since I'm sure we are now well past your ability to discuss this matter intelligently, I'll stop there for now. If needbe though, I did just recently purchase Lyle's Protein Book and have 500+ scientific references on the matter at my disposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss