Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 01:23 PM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times

Advertisements

You usually don't begin to realize this until you get older, but the excessive sodium that we take in everyday, particularly because of how much sodium is added by food processors, is downright dangerous to our longevity.

We can mitigate that somewhat by reading labels and choosing brands that contain less sodium. For example, Crosse & Blackwell Seasfood Cocktail Sauce has 33% of your suggested sodium intake per day in just 1/4 cup, while Heinz Cocktail Sauce has 25%.

There are also substitutes we can use. I have a recipe for a substitute for many Asian sauces which is easy to make with little sodium and can at least partly substitute for the following sauces:
Oyster sauce = 29% of you daily sodium for 1 tablespoon; fish sauce = 49%!; Maggi sauce = 17% (per teaspoon!); Regular soy sauce = 48%! per T; Reduced sodium soy sauce = 24%. If anyone would like my recipe for the sauce substitute, private message me.

I'm going to highlight other such atrocities in this thread. Hope some of you will, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 01:33 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You usually don't begin to realize this until you get older, but the excessive sodium that we take in everyday, particularly because of how much sodium is added by food processors, is downright dangerous to our longevity.

We can mitigate that somewhat by reading labels and choosing brands that contain less sodium. For example, Crosse & Blackwell Seasfood Cocktail Sauce has 33% of your suggested sodium intake per day in just 1/4 cup, while Heinz Cocktail Sauce has 25%.

There are also substitutes we can use. I have a recipe for a substitute for many Asian sauces which is easy to make with little sodium and can at least partly substitute for the following sauces:
Oyster sauce = 29% of you daily sodium for 1 tablespoon; fish sauce = 49%!; Maggi sauce = 17% (per teaspoon!); Regular soy sauce = 48%! per T; Reduced sodium soy sauce = 24%. If anyone would like my recipe for the sauce substitute, private message me.

I'm going to highlight other such atrocities in this thread. Hope some of you will, too.

OP, does your 'substitute' include any soy product at all?

Make your own sauces (and pretty well everything else) at home is my solution for the excess salt that is in most processed foods. I agree though that the basic Asian 'ingredients' (i.e. fish sauce, soy sauce) have fairly high sodium contents - but that is because they are supposed to replace salt anyway and small amounts diluted in a fairly large quantity of food with no salt added otherwise usually isn't an issue (though soy is for me).

Additionally, some fish sauces taste MUCH saltier than others. Be sure to read all labels because the salt % may vary, especially if there are other ingredients one might not expect (like sugars for caramelized appearance) and you may need more or less of some than others. That's when experience in cooking comes in handy .. when one uses knowledge of ingredients and recipes and expected taste outcomes to adjust regardless of what the recipe may call for.

Also add salt sparingly but at each stage of cooking. It is hard to put too much salt (or shall we say more salt than one might find in any commercially processed similar food) into something that is made from scratch though even if it may seem like a fair bit at the time. Also I find that the salt I put on last gives me the most value for my salt money - and the type of salt used also helps (sea salts with large grains - I like gray and Himalayan - give a perception of much more salt when used as finishing salts - meaning you don't need to add as much during cooking, if any at all).

Old 03-09-2017, 01:51 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,306,642 times
Look at ingredients of V8 and low sodium V8. They just load up the LoSo version with extra potassium...

Old 03-09-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
OP, does your 'substitute' include any soy product at all?

Reduced sodium beef broth, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, molasses, sesame oil, garlic, black pepper

Old 03-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Look at ingredients of V8 and low sodium V8. They just load up the LoSo version with extra potassium...
True. Depends on what your potassium levels are.

For example, I use no-salt ketchup, which has more potassium...but not that much more.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,405,330 times
Quote:
Reduced sodium beef broth, red wine vinegar,
balsamic vinegar, molasses, sesame oil, garlic, black pepper
Interesting ...sounds good!
I'm an ex hippie so everything in my home is fresh and organic...make my own greek yogurt,
kefir, sprouts...
I'm surprised I don't milk my own cow.
So no processed stuff in my house....is Vodka processed?

Old 03-09-2017, 02:43 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Interesting ...sounds good!
I'm an ex hippie so everything in my home is fresh and organic...make my own greek yogurt,
kefir, sprouts...
I'm surprised I don't milk my own cow.
So no processed stuff in my house....is Vodka processed?

Yes, so do make sure to buy the 'low sodium' variety. The potatoes were grown in salt-free soils and weren't boiled with it either.

(apologies to the OP .. I could not resist. Also thanks for your rundown on the ingredients for your 'secret sauce' - all sounds good but I think I would leave out the molasses for my own purposes).

Old 03-09-2017, 02:45 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,568,656 times
Quote:

On the other hand, a sizable body of scientists suspect the link is over-emphasized and that salt recommendations are over-aggressive.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-war-on-salt/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4c4437fab635

Old 03-09-2017, 02:57 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,774,924 times
I eat a ketogenic diet and supplement my diet with salt, potassium, and magnesium. I track everything I eat and make sure to get close to 5,000 grams of sodium every day, as well as 1,000 g of potassium.

Blood pressure is around 110/60.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:13 PM

Tomato-based pasta sauces vary from 15% of your daily salt intake up to 25%.

P.F. Chang's Orange chicken (frozen) = 38% of your daily salt intake.

Stouffers Sweedish Meatballs = 41% of you daily salt intake.

Barber brand chicken cordon bleu = 33%.

1 slice of bread = 5%.
1 slice of frozen garlic bread = 11%.

Oscar Mayer "Deli-fresh" roast beef -- enough for a normal sandwich = 30% (then add in 10% for 2 slices of bread).

Tysons chicken fries = 23% for 7 fries.

Tiny taters = 18% per serving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss