Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:57 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Any fluid will do . I just put up the mayo clinic link. Water might even make hydration worse depending on the water it is.

Excerpt from your link:

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 11:58 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908954/

Asking for some form verification that caffeine drinks and alcohol do not act as diuretics as is generally thought.
From the site you listed.

"Nevertheless, there are major gaps in knowledge related to measurement of total fluid intake, hydration status at the population level, and few longer-term systematic interventions and no published random-controlled longer-term trials. We suggest some ways to examine water requirements as a means to encouraging more dialogue on this important topic."

I think this sentence pretty much sums up the whole water debate.
I love water and I believe, perhaps incorrectly, that it has enhanced my health.
My husband I think would benefit as well from drinking more water. Just water, not filtered through anything else. I may be full of it. But as of now, no one can prove me wrong.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:06 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908954/

Asking for some form verification that caffeine drinks and alcohol do not act as diuretics as is generally thought.

More babbling nonsense

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/faq-20057965
Drinking caffeine–containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle doesn't cause fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested. While caffeinated drinks may have a mild diuretic effect — meaning that they may cause the need to urinate — they don't appear to increase the risk of dehydration.

And beer.....She posted beer. Did ya see beer?

Old 04-24-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Excerpt from your link:

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available.

Its so unlike you to completely butcher the subject matter....

One may choose to have water over a beer for "perfect hydration" . After all, who wants to be on the patio with only an 85% hydration efficient liquid when they could have perfect hydration?

if ya love water , go ahead. if you've had a few beers, you don't need another 8 glasses of water to chase it down.

This forum makes me roll my eyes.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:12 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
From the site you listed.

"Nevertheless, there are major gaps in knowledge related to measurement of total fluid intake, hydration status at the population level, and few longer-term systematic interventions and no published random-controlled longer-term trials. We suggest some ways to examine water requirements as a means to encouraging more dialogue on this important topic."

I think this sentence pretty much sums up the whole water debate.
I love water and I believe, perhaps incorrectly, that it has enhanced my health.
My husband I think would benefit as well from drinking more water. Just water, not filtered through anything else. I may be full of it. But as of now, no one can prove me wrong.

My husband is always on me to drink more water.

I view water as what will hydrate me, if I get a little extra from beer, tea or fruits that just bonus. I would never keep myself hydrated that way.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-24-2017, 12:31 PM

A cucumber tomato salad with a little salt is nature's Gatorade. The water content is practically the weight of it. Added water may even wash out the potassium you just added. Any melon will hydrate spectacularly.

Nothing wrong with water, but nearly any fluid will hydrate you, except for many filtered waters, rain water or distilled water that is. Those without minerals may dehydrate you if had it in isolation. Have it with salted mashed potatoes or a salad with salty nuts.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:07 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
I would have to disagree that alcoholic drinks can be part of your total water intake. Alcohol is a diuretic for sure and all the extra peeing will dehydrate you. It is widely known that if you spend a night drinking, consuming water either during or after the night will help you prevent or at least reduce a hangover. So yes, alcoholic drinks will hydrate you but at the same time dehydrate you. IMO, it's like taking one step forward and one step back.

P.S. I can also speak from experience. I have woken up many times during the night after a night of drinking with severe leg cramps. These cramps come from dehydration.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I would have to disagree that alcoholic drinks can be part of your total water intake. Alcohol is a diuretic for sure and all the extra peeing will dehydrate you. It is widely known that if you spend a night drinking, consuming water either during or after the night will help you prevent or at least reduce a hangover. So yes, alcoholic drinks will hydrate you but at the same time dehydrate you. IMO, it's like taking one step forward and one step back.

P.S. I can also speak from experience. I have woken up many times during the night after a night of drinking with severe leg cramps. These cramps come from dehydration.
More anecdotes. We just cannot get enough of them.

If you are talking about alcoholic binge drinking you will end up dehydrated wether you drink water or not. Have some mineral water and kale as an offset. You've just lost electrolytes and kicked the crap out of your liver.

A Boozy Beer That Won’t Give You a Hangover | TIME.com
But thanks to Australian scientists, there might finally be a cure at hand. As reported by the Australian, Researchers at Griffith University’s Health Institute in Queensland say they have invented a more hydrating beer by adding electrolytes, compounds commonly used in sports drinks, to their brew.
It turns out many of the symptoms we associate with having too much to drink are caused by too much urination. When alcohol enters the bloodstream, it blocks the creation of a chemical that allows water to be re-absorbed back into our body. Instead, our kidneys send all water right to the bladder, eventually resulting in dehydration (and multiple bathroom trips).
Not only does this cause organs to steal water from the brain — contributing to morning-after headaches — but it also causes the body to lose nutrients like potassium and sodium that are responsible for healthy cell function. An absence of these electrolyte elements causes headaches, nausea, and fatigue. The researchers’ new beer should help alleviate these symptoms by replenishing those compounds.
drinking 8 glasses of filtered water also causes a loss of potassium and sodium .

Beer still hydrates on balance.

http://***.physiology.org/content/83/4/1152.full
These results suggest that alcohol has a negligible diuretic effect when consumed in dilute solution after a moderate level of hypohydration induced by exercise in the heat. There appears to be no difference in recovery from dehydration whether the rehydration beverage is alcohol free or contains up to 2% alcohol, but drinks containing 4% alcohol tend to delay the recovery process.

So again coffee, tea and beer provide liquids for hydration. You will not need just as much more water. You'd be better off trying to replace the electrolytes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss