Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:42 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I'm on a 1,000-1,500 mg/day max sodium diet. For about six months now.
It has helped many of my nagging health issues

It is not a "low" sodium level. Low is 500 per day. As my doctor put it, 1,000-1,500 is what everyone should be eating and would be eating, if they cut out processed foods

At no time in human history have people eaten this much sodium. I am 100% convinced that much of what ails us as a country is related to sodium intake, yet it's something you never ever hear about

The one bad thing about this "diet" is that it is basically impossible to eat out or on the go. I have to plan, pack a lunch. No more grabbing stuff when I am out or ordering take out. Or even eating out.

The more time I spend on it, the less I miss any of it!

At no time ? Have any idea how much salted fish and sour kraut was eaten?

You will avoid salt naturally when you have too much and you will crave it when its not enough. Some of the problem is not having enough potassium , not too much sodium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 08:57 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
At no time ? Have any idea how much salted fish and sour kraut was eaten?

You will avoid salt naturally when you have too much and you will crave it when its not enough. Some of the problem is not having enough potassium , not too much sodium.
Agreed. Potassium lowers blood pressure and not enough will make it go up. This is also hardly ever mentioned when talking about high BP.

How Potassium Can Help Control High Blood Pressure

Drinking too much water also lowers your sodium and potassium levels which is also BAD. I've heard some say on this forum that they drink a gallon or more a day. That is insane and unless you perspire or pee a LOT you do not need to drink that much. Drink when you are thirsty NOT because someone tells you have to drink ac certain amount.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:03 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Agreed. Potassium lowers blood pressure and not enough will make it go up. This is also hardly ever mentioned when talking about high BP.

How Potassium Can Help Control High Blood Pressure

Drinking too much water also lowers your sodium and potassium levels which is also BAD. I've heard some say on this forum that they drink a gallon or more a day. That is insane and unless you perspire or pee a LOT you do not need to drink that much. Drink when you are thirsty NOT because someone tells you have to drink ac certain amount.
I love water and I drink a lot. Not a gallon though, thats nuts. I have to tell my husband to drink water because if I didn't he wouldn't drink any. No lie. He will drink coffee and beer, maybe an iced tea, (he avoids sodas) and wine.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I love water and I drink a lot. Not a gallon though, thats nuts. I have to tell my husband to drink water because if I didn't he wouldn't drink any. No lie. He will drink coffee and beer, maybe an iced tea, (he avoids sodas) and wine.

Brewed ice tea? Beer also has plenty of water. You don't need straight water. Its another myth.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Brewed ice tea? Beer also has plenty of water. You don't need straight water. Its another myth.
Really? Myth huh? Got any peer reviewed studies that back that claim up? I have heard it before but I am not buying it. So please, if you have evidence to support that claim I will not pester my husband anymore.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:48 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
You could always stick a post-it in the bathroom that says "Goal of the Day: Clear Pee".

Old 04-24-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Really? Myth huh? Got any peer reviewed studies that back that claim up? I have heard it before but I am not buying it. So please, if you have evidence to support that claim I will not pester my husband anymore.
Wait, why the hell do I need a study to prove you need to drink water when you are thirsty? That burden is on you to prove. Should I hold my bladder because I should not just wizz when my body tells me? I mean if thirst doesn't work maby I need to pee sooner...I better pee before the urge until I get "peer reviewed studies"

Where is your peer review study that we need 8 glasses of water ? Its was never there but you bought into it didn't ya? Bet you only need those studies from people who eat bacon.

You are not worthy of it but for the sake of others.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...-20044256?pg=2
Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

Fluids, not water. I pity your poor, hen pecked hubby.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Wait, why the hell do I need a study to prove you need to drink water when you are thirsty? That burden is on you to prove. Should I hold my bladder because I should not just wizz when my body tells me? I mean if thirst doesn't work maby I need to pee sooner...I better pee before the urge until I get "peer reviewed studies"

Where is your peer review study that we need 8 glasses of water ? Its was never there but you bought into it didn't ya? Bey uo only need those studies from people who eat bacon.
You said you do not need to drink water if you are drinking beer or coffee. You said it needn't be just water. I am calling you on that. And I may be wrong. As of now there are no definitive answers one way or another.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:51 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:

Where is your peer review study that we need 8 glasses of water ? Its was never there but you bought into it didn't ya? Bey uo only need those studies from people who eat bacon.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2908954/

Asking for some form verification that caffeine drinks and alcohol do not act as diuretics as is generally thought.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-24-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
You said you do not need to drink water if you are drinking beer or coffee. You said it needn't be just water. I am calling you on that.

Any fluid will do . I just put up the mayo clinic link. Water might even make hydration worse depending on the water it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss