Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:01 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I have always craved salt. I've also always had low-normal blood pressure, sometimes falling low enough for me to faint. My "white coat" blood pressure for decades was usually 100 over 60. Only lately, as I've gotten older, has it wandered up to the "normal" range occasionally. I sometimes speculated humorously that my craving for salt was my body desperately trying to stay conscious!
I had a class-mate in sixth grade we called her salt-lick,,,she would bring salt in sandwich bags and lick some when no one was looking ...

she craved it

we might have thought this was a bit weird,,,,but it seemed half the class ate dirt...so it wasn't weird..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 08:15 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The point you are totally missing, that many are saying: we are all aware that too much of anything including sodium isn't healthy and most of us know what foods are high in sodium. Its fine you follow a diet of low sodium, but I don't think most of us need a reminder on which foods have high sodium levels. Next thing someone is going to tell us which foods are high in water or what foods are the healthiest to eat. All these postings probably will not change the way any of us eat. Not to mention overall life expectancy is based on so many things, mainly family history.
If you don't need this information, than there's no need for you to read this thread. Do you read every thread on this forum?

Old 03-12-2017, 08:44 AM

862 posts, read 975,211 times
I love salt, and never had a problem, I think you just pee out the excess, maybe some people are sensitive to it.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:53 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,414,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
I love salt, and never had a problem, I think you just pee out the excess, maybe some people are sensitive to it.
No maybe about it.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:33 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
Sodium and early stage kidney disease - Kidney disease education and nutrition articles - Your Kidneys

Old 03-12-2017, 03:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
In trying to find out who the "experts" were on that site, I discovered that the site is hosted by a dialysis company. In trying to go to the dialysis company's website via the link on the site, I got

Directory Listing Denied

This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

It appears to be pretty impossible to find out exactly who the experts are they are referencing with such glowing colors and what their bonafides are.

Yes, I do my homework as much as possible before swallowing whatever someone is trying to sell me.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:50 PM

There is, however, this (yes, Wikipedia, but information readily verfieid):

Department of Justice Lawsuit

In October 2014 the US Department of Justice announced that DaVita agreed to pay the government $350 million to settle a False Claims Act lawsuit that alleged that DaVita paid kickbacks to receive referrals of patients to its dialysis clinics.[33] DaVita agreed to pay another $39 million in a civil forfeiture related to two specific joint ventures in Denver. As part of the settlement DaVita was required to divest itself of joint ventures and submit to monitoring. The lawsuit alleged that for almost a decade DaVita sought out doctors with a large number of patients with renal disease and offered lucrative joint venture opportunities, violating the state and federal False Claims Act and the federal Anti-Kickback Statute.
A whistleblower (qui tam) lawsuit was brought by David Barbetta, a former DaVita employee. The whistleblower lawsuit, which was filed in 2007, remained under seal for more than three years while the government reviewed the claims. In April 2011, U.S. Attorney Sally Yates informed the parties that the government had declined to join the case. The lawsuit alleges that the protocol for Zemplar allowed for only 2 mg vials of the vitamin D supplement to be used when the prescribed dose was 2 mg or less. But if the prescribed dose was 6 mg, for example, a 10 mg vial — not three 2 mg vials — was to be used, with 4 mg being wasted, the suit said. The suit said if DaVita followed certain sterilization safeguards, the unused medication in the Venofer vials could be used for other patients. The company followed such procedures when using the far more expensive drug Epogen during much of the same time, the suit said. In a statement, DaVita acknowledged that such a practice — called re-entry — was allowed as an option to health-care providers by the government between 2002 and 2008. But since 2008, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services have banned it. The agencies have warned that any potential cost savings from allowing multiple syringe draws from a single vial are outweighed by the possible risk of infection.[34]
On November 30, 2012 CNN Health ran a story about accusations of large scale Medicare/Medicaid fraud made against DaVita.[35]
Dialysis Insurance Steering

In October 2016, the St. Louis Post Dispatch reported that DaVita had been steering low income dialysis patients to purchase unneeded private medical insurance.[36] Patients were told their private insurance premiums would be subsidized by the American Kidney Fund at no cost to the patient. While providing the same service, dialysis covered by private insurance is much more profitable for DaVita due to lower rates of reimbursement from Medicare and Medicaid. The American Kidney Fund subsequently introduced new measures to ensure patients applying for support truly need private insurance, rather than using Medicare or Medicaid.[37]

Old 03-12-2017, 05:38 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,879 times
I'm on the side too much salt is bad for you. However I'm guilty in that the foods I tend to eat have too much sodium. Definitely I want to cut down.

However I'm curious what percentage of the population has the genetics that can defy the dangers of eating too much sodium. There are always those outliers that can smoke for decades and die from other illnesses or old age that's not related to cigarettes. I'm sure that applies to the salt addicts as well.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:57 PM

"Researchers at the University of Virginia School of Medicine have cut through conflicting advice about salt consumption by demonstrating that each person has a “personal salt index,” an upper limit on daily salt consumption for good health. In addition, they have developed a test to determine that level – and to identify people who should consume more salt."

Only 25 Percent of Americans are Salt Sensitive, Yet We Must all Suffer

Old 03-12-2017, 11:50 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
My brother used to salt potato chips. I couldn't do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss