Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In trying to find out who the "experts" were on that site, I discovered that the site is hosted by a dialysis company. In trying to go to the dialysis company's website via the link on the site, I got

Directory Listing Denied

This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

It appears to be pretty impossible to find out exactly who the experts are they are referencing with such glowing colors and what their bonafides are.

Yes, I do my homework as much as possible before swallowing whatever someone is trying to sell me.
thanks, this is the reason I research but I don't put to much into studies. Almost all have an agenda or a biased leaning. All one has to do is remember the research and recommendations from the heart association back in the 80s on what foods we should and should not eat. Many of what we were told has been proven not to be accurate or maybe what we are being told today isn't accurate but the 80s info was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 06:52 AM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
The salt generally referred to the underclass in ancient texts.

The Japanese generally outlive just about everyone else, but their diet also includes substantially smaller portions, fresh fish and more vegetables. Lifestyle choices play a big role as well. The same cannot be said for all Asians.

This one they've got pretty well locked in. Excessive sodium intake burns away your body's filter (kidneys) and sodium forces your body to retain more water to balance the sodium level in your blood. More sodium, more liquid to keep the % the same. More fluid and you start stretching all those arteries. The artery wall, once stretched too many times, has a hard time coming back to place, or comes back together imperfectly, allowing a spot of resistance. In that resistance, platelets can build up.....and that is where clots come from. Clots are what causes strokes.

Between Heart and Kidney disease, you have America's largest and most expensive diseases that are skyrocketing medical costs in this country. If you want to balance the budget and make Americans healthier, the solution is simple.

Stop making Sodium the cheap spice to be put in all foods at amazingly excessive amounts.
I worked for a Japanese auto maker for about thirty years and ate lunch with them every day. It was interesting to watch their eating habits evolve after they had been in the States for a while. Upon first arriving they would eat meals prepared at home,usually something centered around fish or noodles. Bit by bit they would learn to like hot dogs,hamburgers,pizza,everything the rest of us ate. And they love soy sauce on everything. Wasn't long before they started putting on weight too. Not sure if this proves anything but it was interesting to watch.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:52 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I worked for a Japanese auto maker for about thirty years and ate lunch with them every day. It was interesting to watch their eating habits evolve after they had been in the States for a while. Upon first arriving they would eat meals prepared at home,usually something centered around fish or noodles. Bit by bit they would learn to like hot dogs,hamburgers,pizza,everything the rest of us ate. And they love soy sauce on everything. Wasn't long before they started putting on weight too. Not sure if this proves anything but it was interesting to watch.
I saw something similar when I fell in love with Thailand back around 1987. At that time you rarely saw a fat Thai, and if you did, Thais would say, "Oh, they're Chinese" (and would usually be correct; sorry bout that, just a difference in attitude toward the consumption of food). After retiring, I lived in Thailand for a couple of years, and fat Thais are not all that unusual anymore. Not as much as fat Americans, but now not uncommon. Fast food and just an explosion of the availability of fatter and sweeter foods are, IMHO, the reason.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:51 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Just another reason why I make most of our food from scratch. You really reduce a lot of different problems, including sodium.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-19-2017, 01:16 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Homemade pizza lover? Hormel has pepperoni with half the sodium as regular pepperoni, and in my view it tastes just about as good.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:59 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
In trying to find out who the "experts" were on that site, I discovered that the site is hosted by a dialysis company. In trying to go to the dialysis company's website via the link on the site, I got

Directory Listing Denied

This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

It appears to be pretty impossible to find out exactly who the experts are they are referencing with such glowing colors and what their bonafides are.

Yes, I do my homework as much as possible before swallowing whatever someone is trying to sell me.
Its a well known fact that if you have kidney disease you want to avoid salt as much as possible as salt/sodium conspire to deteriorate your kidneys, its not a conspiracy theory,=
https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...dney+disease&*

Old 03-19-2017, 02:01 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its a well known fact that if you have kidney disease you want to avoid salt as much as possible as salt/sodium conspire to deteriorate your kidneys, its not a conspiracy theory,=
https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...dney+disease&*
Did I say conspiracy theory?

Old 03-19-2017, 02:13 PM

939 posts, read 787,490 times
I stopped buying Costco's (Foster Farms) rotisserie chicken because of the salt content - 460mg for a 3oz. serving.

Heck, I used to eat at least half or all of a chicken in one day, plus other assorted salted goodies.

Terrific price though, so I may go back to removing the skin then rinsing it under the faucet, same as salted nuts if I can't find the unsalted ones.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 PM

939 posts, read 787,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
On the other hand, a sizable body of scientists suspect the link is over-emphasized and that salt recommendations are over-aggressive.
Listen to your own body and heart because studies will always vary and be contradicted and ultimately we tend to believe the stats we want to.

Salt raises BP. When mine rises because of overly salty (and greasy fast) food, my ears start to ring.

Salt depletes water so the saltier the food, the more water should be consumed.

If you become unquenchably thirsty up to several hours after eating, probably too much salt in that last meal.

Since salt depletes water content in our innards, it probably will aid in drying out our skin as well, which happens as we age anyway.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:01 PM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
If I have to buy canned soup or other packaged meals, I'll compare the lesser of two evils. Some items may list a lower sodium but then check out the calorie content.

Hubby has no real problem with high blood pressure so he sometimes forgets to rinse /drain beans when he makes his chili.

I've been contemplating getting that air fryer. Don't have a whole lot of shelf space.
I don't hardly ever use salt and when I do, it might just be a sprinkle on say, a hard boiled egg. Oft times will use the Himalayan pink salt. My fave seasoning is black pepper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss