Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:19 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
My point is that avoiding processed foods isn't going to solve all of the problems. You can eat whole grain pizza with homemade mozzarella , and you will not self regulate. You can eat while still hungry I suppose , but it will not help with indigestion and sluggishness. You will over eat not only as you age, but will be the cause of accelerated aging. It will get even worse if you have been adding visceral fat.

I don't think anyone said avoiding processed food will solve all problems. I don't think anyone believes that.

You keep going off on unrelated tangents.

You put up a video that says "cure diabetes with sugar and rice" and then the video isn't about that, it's about eating whole foods. If you disagree with that why post it?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:00 AM

712 posts, read 554,520 times
This is a long read but worth it if you choose to read it.
GENOCIDE!HOW YOUR DOCTOR’S DIETARY IGNORANCE WILL KILL YOU !!!!
BY JAMES EDWARD CARLSON B.S., D.O., M.B.A., J.D.

Have you read this book? He is not only an doctor but a molecular biologist. He was frustrated that all the treatment he was taught to give his patients were not working and the patients actually were getting sicker. He decided to do his own studies. He put himself on the traditional low fat diet and to his shock gained weight, his blood pressure went up and his cholesterol was out of control. He realized this diet just did not work. He said that Doctor's do as they are trained without much thought if it were true.

There is so much more he touches on and if you can get this book you will see how much what he says makes sense. To skip to another point in the book. He found that our bodies just isn't as smart as one thinks. Our blood cannot tell the difference between the sugar in fruit or a candy bar. It reacts the same. In fact the sugar in an apple will raise the blood sugar faster than the sugar in a candy bar. I will share a bit from his book:
CHAPTER SEVEN-SUGAR IS
SUGAR IS SUGAR
Sugar is very important to discuss. I have already mentioned sugar a bunch of times. I have already shared the biggest secret that fat and cholesterol production starts with sugar. So now let’s really learn about sugar. Our medical professionals would like you to believe that the same sugar molecules are somehow different. For instance, that if the sugar molecule is from fruit, it is natural and that’s OK. Or, if it comes from whole wheat, again, it’s natural and that’s fine.Well, I am here to stop that myth. Please remember, sugar is sugar is sugar. Repeat it to yourself a hundred, no wait, a thousand times a day. I tell my patients this all the time. What that means is that a glucose molecule from whole wheat bread is no different than if it came from broccoli, or a snickers bar, or from table sugar, and on and on and on. The fact is when glucose is presented to our cells our cells cannot distinguish where that glucose molecule came from, because all glucose molecules look exactly the same to the cell. Glucose is no good to us unless it gets inside our cells, Glucose is no good to us unless it gets inside our cells, which is where all the modifications to it take place. The thing that allows glucose to get into the cell is something called insulin. The pancreas makes insulin and squirts it into our bloodstream every time the pancreas sees sugar........

To think that our cells can tell where the glucose came from, say from a vegetable or a snickers bar, is ignorant. In order for the cell to do this it would need to be able to know what we ate. And then the cell would have to say to itself, “Ah hah, this glucose molecule came from a snickers bar, so I’m going to do bad things with it.” Or, the cell would say, “Alright, this glucose molecule came from broccoli so let’s do good things with it.” And what would happen if we ate a snickers bar along with broccoli, would
our cells be able to tell the difference between the glucose molecules now?

Of course not, but this is exactly what medical professionals suggest when they say snickers bars have bad sugar and broccoli has good sugar. There is no such thing. Sugar is sugar is sugar. And it is all treated the same way when it gets to the cell.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:09 PM

I try to keep my sugar intake down. There is too much in things like marinara sauces, bread, cereal.

Home cooking does away with most of that. I keep a an eye on the labels, mix my fruit with vegetables in smoothies, etc.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:35 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
This is a long read but worth it if you choose to read it.
GENOCIDE!HOW YOUR DOCTOR’S DIETARY IGNORANCE WILL KILL YOU !!!!
BY JAMES EDWARD CARLSON B.S., D.O., M.B.A., J.D.

Have you read this book? He is not only an doctor but a molecular biologist. He was frustrated that all the treatment he was taught to give his patients were not working and the patients actually were getting sicker. He decided to do his own studies. He put himself on the traditional low fat diet and to his shock gained weight, his blood pressure went up and his cholesterol was out of control. He realized this diet just did not work. He said that Doctor's do as they are trained without much thought if it were true.

There is so much more he touches on and if you can get this book you will see how much what he says makes sense. To skip to another point in the book. He found that our bodies just isn't as smart as one thinks. Our blood cannot tell the difference between the sugar in fruit or a candy bar. It reacts the same. In fact the sugar in an apple will raise the blood sugar faster than the sugar in a candy bar. I will share a bit from his book:
CHAPTER SEVEN-SUGAR IS
SUGAR IS SUGAR
Sugar is very important to discuss. I have already mentioned sugar a bunch of times. I have already shared the biggest secret that fat and cholesterol production starts with sugar. So now let’s really learn about sugar. Our medical professionals would like you to believe that the same sugar molecules are somehow different. For instance, that if the sugar molecule is from fruit, it is natural and that’s OK. Or, if it comes from whole wheat, again, it’s natural and that’s fine.Well, I am here to stop that myth. Please remember, sugar is sugar is sugar. Repeat it to yourself a hundred, no wait, a thousand times a day. I tell my patients this all the time. What that means is that a glucose molecule from whole wheat bread is no different than if it came from broccoli, or a snickers bar, or from table sugar, and on and on and on. The fact is when glucose is presented to our cells our cells cannot distinguish where that glucose molecule came from, because all glucose molecules look exactly the same to the cell. Glucose is no good to us unless it gets inside our cells, Glucose is no good to us unless it gets inside our cells, which is where all the modifications to it take place. The thing that allows glucose to get into the cell is something called insulin. The pancreas makes insulin and squirts it into our bloodstream every time the pancreas sees sugar........

To think that our cells can tell where the glucose came from, say from a vegetable or a snickers bar, is ignorant. In order for the cell to do this it would need to be able to know what we ate. And then the cell would have to say to itself, “Ah hah, this glucose molecule came from a snickers bar, so I’m going to do bad things with it.†Or, the cell would say, “Alright, this glucose molecule came from broccoli so let’s do good things with it.†And what would happen if we ate a snickers bar along with broccoli, would
our cells be able to tell the difference between the glucose molecules now?

Of course not, but this is exactly what medical professionals suggest when they say snickers bars have bad sugar and broccoli has good sugar. There is no such thing. Sugar is sugar is sugar. And it is all treated the same way when it gets to the cell.
Good post.

People have been led to believe they are getting somewhere with avoiding high fructose corn syrup. There is little significant difference other than say glyphosate contamination. The basic chemistry is not in dispute.

Yes it will cause mineral deficiencies, and lack enzymes with over use , but there is no vast difference.

Though I still tend to hate HFCS due to the GMO link.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Alas, the problem with sugar is the happiness factor. Feeling sad or depressed or cranky? Candy is a cure for a mood boost--temporarily. Sugar makes you feel good both in the taste and in the feeling of the sugar hitting the blood. Put a couple of Jolly Ranchers in your mouth, one on each side of the tongue. It's a burst of taste. There are few (legal) things on this planet that so quickly introduce the euphoria that you get from the taste of something sweet in your mouth, and then you get a secondary burst from the satisfaction of the sugar entering the bloodstream.

Somebody on CD once made a comment that I loved: "Remember, sugar is just another crystalline substance derived from a tropical plant."

I know that's why I can't keep a bag of candy in the house. It will keep calling and calling until I go back and finish the whole thing.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:40 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post

This is a dietetic horror film. Consumption of a lot of sugar builds up body fat and carrying that fat, is one of the main causes of type II diabetes. Sometimes just having 10 extra lbs. of fat over a period of time, can lead to a diabetic condition.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:01 AM

712 posts, read 554,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This is a dietetic horror film. Consumption of a lot of sugar builds up body fat and carrying that fat, is one of the main causes of type II diabetes. Sometimes just having 10 extra lbs. of fat over a period of time, can lead to a diabetic condition.
This is so true. My cousin's husband posted last night on facebook. Which is easier, working out or eating healthy. Nearly 90% said eating healthy is harder. That is so sad to me as it truly is important to be careful what you eat.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:26 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
This is so true. My cousin's husband posted last night on facebook. Which is easier, working out or eating healthy. Nearly 90% said eating healthy is harder. That is so sad to me as it truly is important to be careful what you eat.
Both are equally hard for some people. That's why you have so many people joining gyms but end up not going..because a real work out, one in which you are challenging yourself and not watching videos or looking at your phone..is "hard". Like I've said before for best results I work out and watch what I eat.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:20 PM

Today I had an event and ran out the door without breakfast. They served doughnuts and a really high end cream horn. I had one of each, 2 total. And while they tasted really, really good I felts kinda sick after (still) do, and it gives me this gross taste/feeling on the back of my tongue. I'm not used to so much sugar. My normal splurge is a small square of dark chocolate and a little peanut butter.

I feel like I should go all Roman and purge.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:51 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Today I had an event and ran out the door without breakfast. They served doughnuts and a really high end cream horn. I had one of each, 2 total. And while they tasted really, really good I felts kinda sick after (still) do, and it gives me this gross taste/feeling on the back of my tongue. I'm not used to so much sugar. My normal splurge is a small square of dark chocolate and a little peanut butter.

I feel like I should go all Roman and purge.
No, you just enjoy the moment and eat normally tomorrow . #noguilt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss