Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:07 PM

371 posts, read 364,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
An MRI maybe. She had a ton of tests last year, but if I can remember, the CT scan showed a mass first. It seems like you should be safe and this might be the right course. Stay aware for sure, but you have had those key tests and nothing has shown up, so you should be safe! She only had the blood tests with abnormal results.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I will call my Liver Doc in the morning and ask some more questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Should have added: Every Sun., I simmer 1 lb. of dried kidney beans -- after they have been soaked overnite in the fridge -- and freeze them for use Mon.-Fri. Total simmer time is an hr., but after the first 10-15 min., I remove a portion of them. At that stage they're crunchy, similar to nuts and, at least to me, resemble peanuts in taste.
I have read a lot of people with liver issues eat beans, is there some benefit to the liver?

Old 08-03-2017, 07:12 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
OP, I saw a diet devised by doctors specifically for losing visceral fat, including the liver, and it involved avoiding fats for 2-3 weeks. I'll see if I can look it up and post it.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:24 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Should have added: Every Sun., I simmer 1 lb. of dried kidney beans -- after they have been soaked overnite in the fridge -- and freeze them for use Mon.-Fri. Total simmer time is an hr., but after the first 10-15 min., I remove a portion of them. At that stage they're crunchy, similar to nuts and, at least to me, resemble peanuts in taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
I have read a lot of people with liver issues eat beans, is there some benefit to the liver?
I've never heard that they benefit the liver.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:29 PM

7,247 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
It's funny you mention that because my lipase is high also. But the liver doctor doesn't seen concerned. I had ultrasounds, CT scans and a hidascan. What other tests do they do
Your doc has exercised due diligence. After having had the appropriate tests without finding anything to account for your elevated liver function tests, the diagnosis of "fatty liver" is made-- a diagnosis of exclusion, as they say. It isn't worth doing a liver biopsy just to prove that. It's a benign condition-- you're taking in so many excess calories that you're storing them not only under your skin but also in your liver. (The pt mentioned above who developed pancreatic cancer just happened to have a fatty liver also for several yrs before the tumor. Maybe she had blue eyes, too, but that wasn't the reason she got ca.

People with weight problems have a genetic predisposition AND they happen to like their carbs. Carbs make you secrete insulin and insulin increases the enyzmatic action that builds fat and slows down the enyzmatic action that burns fat. In order to burn fat you gotta stop making insulin, which means you gotta stop eating carbs. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Good luck.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Your doc has exercised due diligence. After having had the appropriate tests without finding anything to account for your elevated liver function tests, the diagnosis of "fatty liver" is made-- a diagnosis of exclusion, as they say. It isn't worth doing a liver biopsy just to prove that. It's a benign condition-- you're taking in so many excess calories that you're storing them not only under your skin but also in your liver. (The pt mentioned above who developed pancreatic cancer just happened to have a fatty liver also for several yrs before the tumor. Maybe she had blue eyes, too, but that wasn't the reason she got ca.

People with weight problems have a genetic predisposition AND they happen to like their carbs. Carbs make you secrete insulin and insulin increases the enyzmatic action that builds fat and slows down the enyzmatic action that burns fat. In order to burn fat you gotta stop making insulin, which means you gotta stop eating carbs. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Good luck.

I am doing my best and working hard. I was always thin all my life. Gave birth 3 times after the age of 40. After the 3rd kid the weight problems started and I have been fighting it ever since.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:50 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Here you go, OP. It turns out that the husband & wife MD team who had diet info posted online for how to reduce visceral fat, published it in a book. Their much earlier diet, a low-carb protein-based diet, "Protein Power", is one I've done to resounding success. I trust these people completely. In their original book, they provided a lot of technical detail about the biochemistry of the diet, so readers could understand why all the details of the diet, using the correct cooking and salad oils, etc., were important. They research everything in tremendous detail, and they've done this visceral diet themselves. So here you go:
https://www.amazon.com/6-Week-Cure-M...1927623&sr=1-1

They have a blog, and they used to have their own forum for people who followed one or another of their diets, where people could ask questions. I don't know if that's still up, it may well be. Blog link:
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2009...d-weight-loss/

Old 08-07-2017, 12:47 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

I had a weight problem and I wasn't genetically predisposed. In fact, my mother and her sisters are all thin or normal weight. I was, as well. My children are lean. I had a weight problem due to several reasons - one, I had two babies and didn't lose the weight, and mostly two, I ate too much and exercised too little. nearlyly anyone can get a weight problem with #2. I'm no scientist or medical professional, but I do know that I lost weight still eating carbs. I just ate less of everything, including carbs so I guess insulin wasn't such a big deal to me...now if I were pre/diabetic, that's a different story.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:18 PM

ok I got my start weight from my doctor and I weighed myself today so actually I have only lost 5 pounds in almost 5 weeks. No wonder!! I been following 1200 calories a day. No I am not eating loaves of bread or donuts for my calories however it shouldnt be some magical formula to lose weight. My husband would be 60 pounds thinner or dead if he ate 1200 calories a day in a month.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
Quote:
ok I got my start weight from my doctor and I weighed myself today so actually I have only lost 5 pounds in almost 5 weeks. No wonder!! I been following 1200 calories a day. No I am not eating loaves of bread or donuts for my calories however it shouldnt be some magical formula to lose weight. My husband would be 60 pounds thinner or dead if he ate 1200 calories a day in a month.
LOL. A man would have a caloric goal higher than 1200 per day. Testosterone helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss