Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Eat low carb, lean meats, garden salads, calorie deficit 6 days a week, with one splurge day where you eat higher carb and more calories, say 3000 or so. The splurge day increases metabolism and increases well being. Take 500 mg of choline per day along with basic multivitamin without added iron. Also magnesium malate. I also eat lots of whole oats with cocoa and Ceylon cinnamon and artificial sweetener... Antioxidant rich. Certain foods taste great stoned and that's one. You don't have to eat really low carb... Maybe 100 grams per day, mostly starches, limiting fructose (fruit and sugar, juices, honey, etc.)

Don't eat really low fat... That will just cause gallstones. Fat flushes out the gallbladder so eat fats daily.
Wait. . . what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 10:58 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Eat low carb, lean meats, garden salads, calorie deficit 6 days a week, with one splurge day where you eat higher carb and more calories, say 3000 or so. The splurge day increases metabolism and increases well being. Take 500 mg of choline per day along with basic multivitamin without added iron. Also magnesium malate. I also eat lots of whole oats with cocoa and Ceylon cinnamon and artificial sweetener... Antioxidant rich. Certain foods taste great stoned and that's one. You don't have to eat really low carb... Maybe 100 grams per day, mostly starches, limiting fructose (fruit and sugar, juices, honey, etc.)

Don't eat really low fat... That will just cause gallstones. Fat flushes out the gallbladder so eat fats daily.
Doesn't everything taste great stoned?, LOL. I would have to disagree with the part about the fat and the gallbladder and also the starches. They are not low carb. I know fat causes gallbladder problems with a lot of people. I think the key word should be "healthy" fats.

Inflammation of the Gall Bladder From Fatty Foods | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 08-10-2017, 12:06 PM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
. You don't have to eat really low carb... Maybe 100 grams per day, mostly starches, limiting fructose (fruit and sugar, juices, honey, etc.)
When you burn fat stores, you have to put the fat into a soluble form to get it thru your blood. You turn fats into ketone bodies. Most people don't have free ketones in their blood until their carb intake is down to 40gm/d and obese people ("easy keepers") may have to get it down to 10gm/d.

That's why it's so hard for people who tend to have a weight problem to lose weight.

BTW- there's really no difference between glucose and fructose: they're both 6-carbon poly-hydroxylated molecules that are isomers of each other. They switch back and forth in structure freely with the help of hexose isomerase, but without the need to expend energy.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:13 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Wait. . . what?
Hahaha, that just caught me, too.

That's the problem!!!!

Old 08-10-2017, 12:59 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It is really scary. No symptoms, no pain, normal or high normal A1C (and that was new, in the last few months before being diagnosed). Her metabolic panel was normal the whole time. In the last year or so, she started having issues drinking coffee, it made her nauseated. But that was the only weird thing - and obviously who knows if that is even related. The other weird thing, and this was also in the few months leading up to the diagnosis, she had some rashes and she was itchy. But again, these are things that could be indicative of anything.

She tested with elevated enzymes for about 8 years and no doctors investigated further till last year - and at that point her tumors were large and her pancreas (and other organs) needed to be removed. Obviously I have no idea how long things were happening, but she was lucky the cancer was really slow moving. She is in recovery now; while there is a lifelong impact, her quality of life will be OK and manageable.

So my advice is to monitor closely. If nothing changes over 6-12 months, even if your behavior does, be vigilant about finding out the true source of the elevated enzyme levels.
Yeah, that is definitely scary. I had an MRI or CT scan (can't remember which) almost 2 years ago and nothing was unusual except for the abscess I had at the time which was the reason for the scan. But I'm going to keep this in mind. I really want to get some blood tests done when I really feel good instead of when I'm battling a cold/super stressed/recovering from being sick/etc. My DD brought so many gems home when she started daycare and that has finally seemed to stop lately. I tend to only be at a doctor when I feel bad, so it wouldn't be shocking to think I was dealing with a low grade infection or virus at those times.

Anyway I appreciate the response!

Old 12-13-2017, 06:49 AM

50,345 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
I was recently dx with fatty liver and elevated liver enzymes. My liver doctor gave me 6 months to try and lose 50 pounds. I started fitness pal a month ago 1200 calories a day. I have yet to weigh myself because I dont want to be caught up in numbers. Is it doable in 6 months?
I am glad to read of your adventures with a fatty liver, since I’ve just had the same diagnosis. The jury is still out on whether it’s a concern and if anything needs to be done about it.

I have gallstones, but no symptoms. I heard gallbladder issues can cause flukey liver enzymes.

I’m a little overweight, but not much, so I’m being mindful of my diet. I’ll probably drop some weight just by being careful. I’m not a junk food, convenience food, or simple carb eater anyway.

I did drink alcohol, but I gave it up awhile back.

My GP is stumped, so she will get with my butts and guts doctor, to see what he says.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:45 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am glad to read of your adventures with a fatty liver, since I’ve just had the same diagnosis. The jury is still out on whether it’s a concern and if anything needs to be done about it.

I have gallstones, but no symptoms. I heard gallbladder issues can cause flukey liver enzymes.

I’m a little overweight, but not much, so I’m being mindful of my diet. I’ll probably drop some weight just by being careful. I’m not a junk food, convenience food, or simple carb eater anyway.

I did drink alcohol, but I gave it up awhile back.

My GP is stumped, so she will get with my butts and guts doctor, to see what he says.
I don't want to over-alarm you, but I'll share my sister's experience. She had elevated liver enzymes for 8 or even 10 years. Eventually one of her doctor's was like I really do not think this is related to weight or anything else. Let's run more tests. She ended up having all sorts of tests from MRIs and so on. It turned out she had a tumor in her pancreas. When she went under for the surgery, it turned out the tumor was larger than expected and the surgery was more severe. She was diagnosed with cancer and now is in recovery. Her cancer was very slow moving.

So keep monitoring, but be proactive about getting more tests to get to the root cause. It could be nothing or something serious.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:50 AM

50,345 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't want to over-alarm you, but I'll share my sister's experience. She had elevated liver enzymes for 8 or even 10 years. Eventually one of her doctor's was like I really do not think this is related to weight or anything else. Let's run more tests. She ended up having all sorts of tests from MRIs and so on. It turned out she had a tumor in her pancreas. When she went under for the surgery, it turned out the tumor was larger than expected and the surgery was more severe. She was diagnosed with cancer and now is in recovery. Her cancer was very slow moving.

So keep monitoring, but be proactive about getting more tests to get to the root cause. It could be nothing or something serious.
Thank you for the warning. I have recently had an MRI, which disclosed the gallstones, but nothing else abnormal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss