Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:46 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
ok I got my start weight from my doctor and I weighed myself today so actually I have only lost 5 pounds in almost 5 weeks. No wonder!! I been following 1200 calories a day. No I am not eating loaves of bread or donuts for my calories however it shouldnt be some magical formula to lose weight. My husband would be 60 pounds thinner or dead if he ate 1200 calories a day in a month.
Maybe that's too low. I never went below 1400. Eating 1200 calories would trigger binge eating (totally defeating the purpose) and wouldn't be sustainable for me. My metabolism would come to a crawl. While 1200 is the lowest you should go, I personally believe it to be too low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 08:06 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
ok I got my start weight from my doctor and I weighed myself today so actually I have only lost 5 pounds in almost 5 weeks. No wonder!! I been following 1200 calories a day. No I am not eating loaves of bread or donuts for my calories however it shouldnt be some magical formula to lose weight. My husband would be 60 pounds thinner or dead if he ate 1200 calories a day in a month.
Do you think you should have lost more?

If you were to log into My Fitness Pal, generally setting yourself up for 1200 calories a day would result in a 2lb per week weight loss. This is GENERAL.

That said, on the My Fitness Pal community boards there are a number of women on there regularly posting that they are losing very little or zero weight on 1200 calories. What that really comes down to is that they are not accurately measuring and logging there food. It's amazing how easy it is to get it wrong.

1200 calories is really 1400-1500 calories and all of a sudden, yeah, the weight is coming off much more slowly.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:42 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
If I needed to lose wgt., I'd avoid nuts, regardless of whether they're peanuts or tree nuts, and regardless, of whether their fat is "good."

They're densely packed with kcal. and, at least for me, once the munching starts, it's hard as hell to stop.
I hear that! I love nuts, especially the "deluxe mixed nuts" type. Last week I was invited to a pool party in a friend's backyard. I brought a bag of the mixed nuts just so I could have some but they wouldn't be in my house later where I would eat them nonstop till they were gone. Everybody else there ate them, too.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

If you were to log into My Fitness Pal, generally setting yourself up for 1200 calories a day would result in a 2lb per week weight loss. This is GENERAL.

That said, on the My Fitness Pal community boards there are a number of women on there regularly posting that they are losing very little or zero weight on 1200 calories. What that really comes down to is that they are not accurately measuring and logging there food. It's amazing how easy it is to get it wrong.

1200 calories is really 1400-1500 calories and all of a sudden, yeah, the weight is coming off much more slowly.
I tend to overestimate. For example, every apple I eat is a "large" apple, whether it was or not. Of course, getting blood sugar down is my real goal behind weight loss, so I don't get to have apples every day anymore.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
That is very scary. Did that person have any other symptoms? Pain? Anything that would indicate they were really sick?

I've had elevated enzymes, too, even though my A1C is always normal (5.1 or under) and everything else in my metabolic panel looks good. I don't have any pain or otherwise feel bad at all. It's hard to know if I should worry because I seem to constantly have one virus or another since my DD started daycare so my doctor attributed it to that. I feel good, but she'll have a slight cold or whatever and it seems impossible that I wouldn't have it too given our proximity and the difficulty in getting her to properly wash her hands and everything (she's 22 months).
Since you asked, it rang a bell--and note that I am NOT a medical professional: a woman I worked for, who was very overweight and diabetic, passed out at her desk one day and crashed to the floor. We called 911, and she went to the hospital and we never saw her again. Dead of pancreatic cancer three weeks later.

She had complained to a coworker in the month preceding her death that she had a pain in the middle of her back, and constant heartburn.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:30 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
I know how you feel. We shouldn't have to stand on one foot and chant some mantra to lose weight. I did that and didn't lose weight. Oh, wrong foot! Are you sure you're not chanting "the" instead of "a"? Try again!

It took me some time and soul searching to get over most of my resistance to having to eat differently. For the longest time I felt it wasn't fair. Well, maybe it's not fair but who said life is fair? You play the hand you were dealt. I could either continue to be stubbornly truculent and overweight, or I could adapt to the hand life gave me and be healthy.

I admire people who adapt and overcome their obstacles. The people who lose their legs and become wheelchair basketball stars. The people with no eyesight who learn to use a seeing eye dog to go places and do things they want to do. Arizona senator Gabrielle Giffords who continues to make public appearances for her cause even with serious brain damage. Roger Ebert who continued to live his life after he lost his speech and mobility to cancer. Some of them give up and sit home watching TV or just mouldering. But I admire the ones who adapt and live a full life. Maybe I should be the type of person that I admire. Me having to cut desserts back to a few servings a month is NOTHING compared to what many other people have to do.

Honestly, removing the mental/emotional blocks and resentments were the most important steps for my long-term success. I had to work out in my own mind why I felt unloved, deprived or punished by healthy food choices. Many of my emotional connections to food were set in childhood. Food was used as a calming device, a reward, an expression of love, and a punishment. Food was one of my mother's most important parenting tools. LOL Once I realized why, it was easier to break those connections and see food as a way to a healthy, nourished body. I had to find other non-food ways to calm myself, nourish my emotions and comfort my soul.

I lost around 150 lb over 15 years ago and have kept it off. I'm well into menopause and still keeping it off at a time in life when everyone says it's even harder to do.

The fact is, that for some of us whose organs aren't working properly, certain diets are more effective. Fatty liver disease often goes hand in hand with insulin resistance, and both of those problems are helped by lowering all carbs, and eliminating highly processed carbs except for very occasional treats.

I personally limit carb consumption to a serving of fresh fruit every day plus 200 - 300 calories of whole grain carbs. The rest of my calories are lean protein (fish, shellfish, chicken, lean cuts of pork, etc.) non-starchy vegetables with a small amount of olive oil or avocado oil (1 tsp is plenty to dress a huge serving of veggies), nuts, eggs, and dairy.

I can't remember if you said you're exercising, but it does help. You don't have to kill yourself. Just a 20 minute walk at a moderate pace most days. Grab some hand weights before you sit down to watch TV and exercise your arms a few times while you're sitting there.

Change isn't easy, but it can be done. A pound per week is going in the right direction. I hope you're not discouraged by that progress, because it is progress. Good luck to you!

Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

I'd also say that 1200 calories is just way too low for most people and it may be counterproductive. When I tried 1200 calories once, all i did was think about food. My body hung onto the pounds too. This time around, I upped the calories and worked out and have been much better for it.

I do agree with under-reporting calories eaten. I can't eyeball portion sizes, I have to measure each and every time. When I want to actively lose, I do write everything down, but much of the time now i don't really bother. After awhile, you can get a sense of how much you're eating. 1500-1600 most days is the magic number that leaves me feeling satisfied and not hungry. I do consume 3000-4000 one day per week because I need the surplus calories for work outs (running a sustained caloric deficit is counter productive when I'm exercising).

Old 08-08-2017, 11:57 AM

Measuring is helpful to me, too. Keeps me from lying to myself!

Old 08-09-2017, 11:06 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
OP have you considered intermittent fasting? I feel like it's a much easier way to restrict calories. At least it is for me. I just read Dr. Fung's Obesity Code and Complete Guide to Fasting. They were interesting.
Yes this works much better for me. I'm 58 and postmenopausal and I simply cannot get weight off with a diet, not even a low carb one. However, according to Fung, when you fast your insulin level drops down as low as it can go, even lower than with low carb, and insulin is the hormone that causes your body to store fat. He also explains that when you lower your cals w/o fasting that your body will actually work harder to hold on to the weight and lower your metabolism but fasting does not lower your metab b/c insulin is bottomed out. This gives your cells a chance to become sensitive to insulin again and become adapted to burning fat instead of sugar/carbs. I hope I reported this correctly but I've certainly had more success with this than anything. Also, whenever I really fall off the wagon as I did last week while volunteering at church camp with all those homemade treats, I fast a couple or even 3 days to turn things back around so at least I don't start gaining weight again.

And here's what I mean by that: a few years ago my weight was at an all time adulthood low of 133 lbs and I felt great. I hardly ever eat sweets, but made an exception for Christmas day where I gave myself permission to eat anything that wasn't nailed down. Next day I'd be so sick I'd be glad to go back to my healthy diet but a strange thing happened and this happened twice. Even though I'd go right back to eating what I was eating before, I'd be hungrier and I'd start to gain weight. 15 lbs both times! I do believe now after reading Dr. Fung's book that if I had fasted for even just one day, this would not have happened--eating sweets turns me into a metabolic train wreck. I just came off a 2-1/2 day fast and I feel much better and lost all the weight that I gained at camp and my appetite has kicked right back to normal. I'll let you know in a few weeks what happens. Fasting fixed that weight gain the first time and I didn't start to gain weight again until after Christmas. I think it might be the best way to go for us old ladies lol.

Now again, I hope I'm reporting this right but when your insulin level is high, whether or not blood glucose is normal, your liver produces more triglycerides and then your body stores them as fat. When your body is storing more fat than it needs then I should think that would be hard on your liver and just making your body stop storing fat should help heal your liver. I've heard also that dandelion root tea is excellent for liver health. Honestly, I have read that the liver is the easiest organ to regenerate.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:28 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
Eat low carb, lean meats, garden salads, calorie deficit 6 days a week, with one splurge day where you eat higher carb and more calories, say 3000 or so. The splurge day increases metabolism and increases well being. Take 500 mg of choline per day along with basic multivitamin without added iron. Also magnesium malate. I also eat lots of whole oats with cocoa and Ceylon cinnamon and artificial sweetener... Antioxidant rich. Certain foods taste great stoned and that's one. You don't have to eat really low carb... Maybe 100 grams per day, mostly starches, limiting fructose (fruit and sugar, juices, honey, etc.)

Don't eat really low fat... That will just cause gallstones. Fat flushes out the gallbladder so eat fats daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss