Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 05:13 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Were the potatoes poorly cooked on purpose because they knew about the vitamin C or for some other reason?
Maybe becasue they were cooked on peat fires for a shorter time. At least they were drinking milk with it, which also has nutrients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 05:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Were the potatoes poorly cooked on purpose because they knew about the vitamin C or for some other reason?
Nobody knew what vitamins were in those days. The people just didn't care.

BTW: I am Irish so I'm allowed to insult the Irish.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:26 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Nobody knew what vitamins were in those days. The people just didn't care.

BTW: I am Irish so I'm allowed to insult the Irish.
I see no insults

Old 03-27-2018, 07:25 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
Back to the original question, here's my ideas:

I've made this and it's great!
Lemon Potatoes Recipe - Food Republic

No reason you can't do this with regular potatoes if sweet is outside of the diet:
Chinese 5 Spice Sweetpotatoes - What's Gaby Cooking

Pioneer Woman has some good ideas, through not always healthy, I like the Crash Hot Potatoes because they get crispy
potatoes | Search Results | The Pioneer Woman

Smitten Kitchen has some great ones too, but these are a favorite:
https://smittenkitchen.com/2008/11/m...sted-potatoes/

Old 03-27-2018, 07:34 PM

534 posts, read 489,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Ok, don't laugh. But I need to take off weight and I have looked into this and it CAN work. Basically, you just eat potatoes for a while. I'm planning on doing it for 2 weeks to kind of goose my weight loss after it has stalled out due to some travel which is never good for my diet. It's this concept of a mono diet where you just eat the same food. The idea is to kind of keep it boring.

I've bought redskin potatoes and russets. Yesterday I experimentally roasted some redskins with garlic powder, onion powder, steak seasoning, etc. And they came out pretty decent. Having that for breakfast this morning (which is Day 1).

I have some herbs in a tube (italian blend, garlic), some parsley, some chives. Chicken broth. Lemons.

I know the point is to keep things boring, but if it's too boring, I'll just freak out and run to the nearest fast food joint for a bacon cheeseburger.

So far, I'm planning on roasting the potatoes, boiling them for a cold potato salad that I'd dress with mustard and vinegar, mashing them with the chicken broth, and doing them as oven fries.

Any other ideas?
Your food experiment sounds interesting, I'd love to hear how it turns out! I am completely into doing 'hacks' like that, too...just trying something that I want to and see how it turns out. As far as any potato form ideas, I love potato soup, pureed. A rich version would have butter and chicken broth, but if butter is off the menu I think it would still be plenty good with just the chicken broth, blended very smoothly and with chives on top.

I hope it goes great!

Old 03-27-2018, 07:54 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
You can use egg whites on those oven fries. Whip them up a little and add dry seasoning. Toss the potatoes in it and bake them on foil for a crunch you won't believe.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Anything that severely restricts your variety of intake and is short term like that isn't really a "diet," it''s essentially a fast. I'm sure it will have [short-term] results.But what is really the point of short-term results? It really is akin to a two-week subsistence fast. Potatoes aren't bad, by any means, but they're also not all you need.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:32 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,495,824 times
The Irish also ate eggs if they had a few chickens. Those by the sea did best during the famine, they had access to plenty of herring

Old 03-28-2018, 11:39 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Ok, don't laugh. But I need to take off weight and I have looked into this and it CAN work. Basically, you just eat potatoes for a while. I'm planning on doing it for 2 weeks to kind of goose my weight loss after it has stalled out due to some travel which is never good for my diet. It's this concept of a mono diet where you just eat the same food. The idea is to kind of keep it boring.

I've bought redskin potatoes and russets. Yesterday I experimentally roasted some redskins with garlic powder, onion powder, steak seasoning, etc. And they came out pretty decent. Having that for breakfast this morning (which is Day 1).

I have some herbs in a tube (italian blend, garlic), some parsley, some chives. Chicken broth. Lemons.

I know the point is to keep things boring, but if it's too boring, I'll just freak out and run to the nearest fast food joint for a bacon cheeseburger.

So far, I'm planning on roasting the potatoes, boiling them for a cold potato salad that I'd dress with mustard and vinegar, mashing them with the chicken broth, and doing them as oven fries.

Any other ideas?
Maybe add the potatoes to a salad (spinach, onions, peppers, cucumbers...)?

Old 03-28-2018, 12:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I'll just leave this right here...

Melting Potatoes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss