Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 07:44 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You crack me up with your "censorship" nonsense. You just like to hear yourself talk, bro. no one is censoring you, obviously.

I don't have to maintain a caloric deficit to keep the weight off.

I average 1700 calories over the course of a week because I don't need to eat any more. I'm used to being full on less food. I can eat up to 2100 without gaining weight btw. Some days I eat 1500, other days 1600..I eat til I'm satiated. When you're eating healthier food, you don't pig out so reaching 2100 would be a stretch for me. I do treat myself to a cheat day though, been doing that for two years.

And you're right, it's not all about losing weight. It's keeping it off. Been over a year of being free of 70 pounds of fat and still going strong. I'm in the best shape EVER. I'm not just lean, I'm fit, which I wasn't even in my 20s. This 42 year old woman picks heavy things up and feels GREAT. Stop the hating.

I've posted my health numbers debunking many things you mention. Yet you've never posted yours. I've been my most honest on this board, I have nothing to hide. No computer screen to hide behind.

And I "exercise like crazy" not because of weight loss, it's because I've become reborn and like fitness. I'm getting older by the day and I am not content just sitting on my butt with arthritic knees. God gave me the tools to do something with my body and i'm using them. It's not about weight at all...it's about how I FEEL. At this point, the weight is gone. It's about actually being a fit person. Advocating a sedentary lifestyle if a person is able to do more is folly. You'll weigh less, sure, but you're not going to be fit. You'll still huff and puff up a flight of stairs. I don't want to return to that.

PS - people who do low carb aren't "counting calories" but they fret over carb grams. If they overeat, they'll gain weight like anyone else. The only thing I'll say is that fat fills you up faster and you stop eating (and thereby you consume less calories, thus having a caloric deficit which results in weight loss), but that doesn't make eating lots of fat some type of dieting miracle.
Once again, I agree with you. I am the same, except I am old enough to be your mama - you are just a "young'un" to me. But several years ago I decided to drop the 60 extra pounds and got serious. I quit binging on junk food and started really exercising including weight training along with cycling and dancing. Over a slow period of time, all the weight came off. And it has STAYED off. I eat whatever I want, but I never binge on the junk anymore. I do eat moderate amounts of "treat foods." If I start gaining a few, I just cut back for a few days. I maintain my weight without much weight training anymore because of back problems and old injuries. But I exercise every day without fail; usually a long bike ride along with a few body weight exercises.

Believe it or not, I have heard multiple doctors tell people they don't eat enough. It is true if you don't eat enough (of real foods) your metabolism will slow. That is why losing and maintaining weight requires BOTH healthy eating and keeping the metabolism fired up with exercise. I have kept my weight off for YEARS now, and every day my husband tells me how healthy and fit I look, with the body of a 30 year old. Of course, he is probably biased but just sayin.' And it is never to late to turn things around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 08:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Actually it is. In order to lose weight your body has to burn more calories than it is consuming. That is a fact. Now what you choose to eat and how your body responds to it is where things vary. You do well limiting carbs, others do well limiting calories. No matter what we eat we still end up at the same place.
A lot of confusion has to do with water weight. You said on another post you ate strawberry shortcake and gained a pound. Unless that dessert was 3500 calories there is no way what you gained was fat. I am sure your body just hung on to the water.
Whatever - it's weight and I want it off. Maybe gluten makes me retain water weight, I don't know, but I do know that cutting out wheat based carbs has helped me significantly in losing 25 pounds and that's not water weight.

I do not believe that it's as simple as cutting back on calories alone because I've tried that multiple times. I always stall out. I have never tried cutting out wheat products till now and now the weight is falling off me.

Of course I'm sure that if I was in a concentration camp eating 500 calories a day I'd lose weight, so there's some truth to the "calories in, calories out" thing but it's not as simple as that in my opinion if someone is ONLY counting calories. Some people are much more sensitive to types of food than others.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I don't know why some people insist on a "special" diet to lose weight. A normal diet in a smaller amount than you normally eat would do the trick. Just count your calories.

It's all about calories, and you do have to count them. It's not hard to do.
I have counted calories many times over the years, and listen - I am not one that's prone to binge eating or even overeating. Self control is pretty easy to me, so it was very frustrating to count calories for weeks and even months and see the scale barely budge in a downward direction.

I just thought that maybe it was because I was post menopause and that being fluffy was going to be my new way of life, for the rest of my life. That or cut calories down to 800 calories a day, and honestly, that's not good for anyone.

What I found out, at the age of 56, is that I have to cut out wheat products in order to lose more than five or six pounds, if I want to stick with a 1400 calorie or so diet per day. And I do want to stick with that because at that calorie count, with careful planning, I can eat a variety of healthy foods, get some regular exercise, and should lose weight. For me, that's a do-able calorie count for a LIFETIME, not just a diet. But if I add wheat based products to that plan, not only does that limit the other healthy foods I can add, it also causes me to stall out on weight loss, or even gain weight. So there you have it.

Sad but true. I actually enjoy eating wheat based products - or rather, I did. Not anymore. I feel great without them - in fact, better than I have felt in years, maybe even decades!

Old 04-04-2018, 08:36 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Whatever - it's weight and I want it off. Maybe gluten makes me retain water weight, I don't know, but I do know that cutting out wheat based carbs has helped me significantly in losing 25 pounds and that's not water weight.

I do not believe that it's as simple as cutting back on calories alone because I've tried that multiple times. I always stall out. I have never tried cutting out wheat products till now and now the weight is falling off me.

Of course I'm sure that if I was in a concentration camp eating 500 calories a day I'd lose weight, so there's some truth to the "calories in, calories out" thing but it's not as simple as that in my opinion if someone is ONLY counting calories. Some people are much more sensitive to types of food than others.
Whatever works for you is what you should continue to do. I am not trying to persuade you to change what you are doing. If you are not sensitive to gluten then gluten is not going to bother you. And as you are avoiding breads I dont see how it is relevant.

All I and some others on this board are trying to say is that everyone has their own path. There is not one way or right way to lose weight. But when facts are disregarded and misinformation is spread it serves no one.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Whatever works for you is what you should continue to do. I am not trying to persuade you to change what you are doing. If you are not sensitive to gluten then gluten is not going to bother you. And as you are avoiding breads I dont see how it is relevant.

All I and some others on this board are trying to say is that everyone has their own path. There is not one way or right way to lose weight. But when facts are disregarded and misinformation is spread it serves no one.
I think we are in agreement actually. I don't know of any misinformation that I stated. Sure, everyone will lose weight if they cut enough calories. But there's a middle ground where cutting out certain types of food can be very beneficial in weight loss for some individuals, while eating the same number of calories but not cutting out that particular food doesn't work as well. That's my point. It's not JUST about calories in my opinion, unless one is starving oneself. Then everyone will lose weight - but even then, not at the same rate. Because bodies are all different.

But back to the potato diet or whatever (fill in the blank with any low calorie diet) - I think anyone will lose weight if they cut enough calories out of their diet, regardless of what they're eating or not eating.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:01 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,428,407 times
I did the potato diet and it worked beautifully. I used gold potatoes, ate them like apples (with salt).

Old 11-16-2018, 10:41 AM

3,972 posts, read 5,165,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Ok, don't laugh. But I need to take off weight and I have looked into this and it CAN work. Basically, you just eat potatoes for a while. I'm planning on doing it for 2 weeks to kind of goose my weight loss after it has stalled out due to some travel which is never good for my diet. It's this concept of a mono diet where you just eat the same food. The idea is to kind of keep it boring.

I've bought redskin potatoes and russets. Yesterday I experimentally roasted some redskins with garlic powder, onion powder, steak seasoning, etc. And they came out pretty decent. Having that for breakfast this morning (which is Day 1).

I have some herbs in a tube (italian blend, garlic), some parsley, some chives. Chicken broth. Lemons.

I know the point is to keep things boring, but if it's too boring, I'll just freak out and run to the nearest fast food joint for a bacon cheeseburger.

So far, I'm planning on roasting the potatoes, boiling them for a cold potato salad that I'd dress with mustard and vinegar, mashing them with the chicken broth, and doing them as oven fries.

Any other ideas?
Fad diets don't work. This one sounds especially terrible. If you do decide to do this, take a good multi vitamin so you don't become deficient in nutrients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss