Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 04:46 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,396,566 times

Advertisements

Ok, don't laugh. But I need to take off weight and I have looked into this and it CAN work. Basically, you just eat potatoes for a while. I'm planning on doing it for 2 weeks to kind of goose my weight loss after it has stalled out due to some travel which is never good for my diet. It's this concept of a mono diet where you just eat the same food. The idea is to kind of keep it boring.

I've bought redskin potatoes and russets. Yesterday I experimentally roasted some redskins with garlic powder, onion powder, steak seasoning, etc. And they came out pretty decent. Having that for breakfast this morning (which is Day 1).

I have some herbs in a tube (italian blend, garlic), some parsley, some chives. Chicken broth. Lemons.

I know the point is to keep things boring, but if it's too boring, I'll just freak out and run to the nearest fast food joint for a bacon cheeseburger.

So far, I'm planning on roasting the potatoes, boiling them for a cold potato salad that I'd dress with mustard and vinegar, mashing them with the chicken broth, and doing them as oven fries.

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 09:44 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,369,474 times
Haven't heard of this diet. I do occasionally do an egg fast--nothing but eggs, cheese, and butter for 3-5 days. It's a keto diet thing. I need to do it right now after a 2 week vacation with lots of food and adult beverages.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:48 AM

130,568 posts, read 12,152,083 times
I am not so sure how healthy the potato diet would be, where will you get your protein from? But best wishes on the weight loss.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,378,094 times
Doesn’t sound healthy.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:26 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,396,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I am not so sure how healthy the potato diet would be, where will you get your protein from? But best wishes on the weight loss.
It's only for 2 weeks. I may introduce some chicken if I'm not feeling great while I'm on it. But from what I've been reading, if you're eating the whole potato, it's not really bad for you to just go potatoes only.

Penn Jillette said he used this to transition to a vegan diet and eventually lost 150 pounds. I'm not gonna do something like that. I just want to lose 35 pounds, but I'm really just having trouble getting down. I switched to all veggies and lean meats, and that was going ok, but it was SLOW going. So I'm thinking this "mono diet" concept may be a nice deviation for a while and maybe a good way to train myself to recognize when I'm full. Also, I was just on a trip to my home state, and the family and friends took me to all my favorite places - it was BAD. So if I can just take off 10 lbs doing this, it will be all I'd hoped for and I can go back to my regular "diet" diet which is the lifestyle change I'm hoping to make overall. .

Old 03-27-2018, 10:41 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,887,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
It's only for 2 weeks. I may introduce some chicken if I'm not feeling great while I'm on it. But from what I've been reading, if you're eating the whole potato, it's not really bad for you to just go potatoes only.

Penn Jillette said he used this to transition to a vegan diet and eventually lost 150 pounds. I'm not gonna do something like that. I just want to lose 35 pounds, but I'm really just having trouble getting down. I switched to all veggies and lean meats, and that was going ok, but it was SLOW going. So I'm thinking this "mono diet" concept may be a nice deviation for a while and maybe a good way to train myself to recognize when I'm full. Also, I was just on a trip to my home state, and the family and friends took me to all my favorite places - it was BAD. So if I can just take off 10 lbs doing this, it will be all I'd hoped for and I can go back to my regular "diet" diet which is the lifestyle change I'm hoping to make overall. .

I get it....just have that chicken ready if you get faint or dizzy...

Old 03-27-2018, 10:51 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,067,293 times
why don't you try modifying your entire diet and exercise regime, instead of looking for a two-week "fix"?

Old 03-27-2018, 11:02 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,539,940 times
No protein and lots of glucose spikes. You might lose weight because you're not taking in a lot of calories, but you're going to be hungry and your body is going to have a hard time processing your carb-only diet.

But hey, good luck.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:17 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,527,530 times
I adore potatoes but this would be really hard for me. Good luck!

I assume you’ve read this site... https://potatohack.com/2016/03/13/po...r-maintenance/

Old 03-27-2018, 11:23 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,887,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
why don't you try modifying your entire diet and exercise regime, instead of looking for a two-week "fix"?

She explained that. And I understand her point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss