Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 03:18 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Carbs: bad and good, not bad across the board.

White flour, sugar, and all that is universally accepted as bad for you. Quinoa, millet, faro and good whole foods like that are very good for you.

And I can't emphasize enough: variety and moderation

Exactly!

There is a huge misconception that all carbs are baked goods like crackers, cakes, white breads, cookies, etc...Carbs are much more than a buzz word for junk foods that have no nutritional value.
The healthiest diet is one that incorporates all the food groups and focuses on whole, fresh foods. Lean proteins, good fats, vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and legumes. All the other stuff is okay in moderate amounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 03:42 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
'Low-Carb' Diet May Up Odds for an Early Death

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/...-early-death#1
I've been low-carb for about 15 years, and I'm still here. Going low-carb would have extended my friend's life, who have diabetes. Last winter, he nearly died twice, and was only saved by emergency heart surgery both times, one month apart. He's going to die a miserable death as a result of complications from diabetes. His kidneys are already going, as are his feet (neuropathy). A low-carb diet could have at least postponed the onset of all that, if not prevented it entirely.

What a waste of bandwidth that article is.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:55 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've been low-carb for about 15 years, and I'm still here. Going low-carb would have extended my friend's life, who have diabetes. Last winter, he nearly died twice, and was only saved by emergency heart surgery both times, one month apart. He's going to die a miserable death as a result of complications from diabetes. His kidneys are already going, as are his feet (neuropathy). A low-carb diet could have at least postponed the onset of all that, if not prevented it entirely.

Same with my brother and his diabetes. He'd still be alive today if he had learned how to control his sugars with a low-carb diet. He had painful peripheral neuropathy for years, suffered through toe/foot amputations, then died with kidney failure from his diabetes.

A low-carb diet would have been a lifesaver for him.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:01 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Of course someone with a medical condition that makes your body react poorly to carbs isn't included in this.

And be honest, was he eating bread, cookies, sugar, white rice and fried potatoes?

Or things like faro risotto or a fresh veggie and chickpea salad?

Here's where I find the problem with the low/no carb: you are omitting a huge array of nutrients. Sure you can get them partially replaced... if you eat the whole animal. But most people aren't doing that, they are not eating spleen, brains, tripe and all the nutrient dense parts of the animals (like the Inuits). They are picking the part they like, like a ribeye.

These whole trends of omitting whole food groups is not healthy, whether it be vegetarian or low carb IMO.

If you find an increase of 32% increased chance of dying in a 6 year time span not note-worthy, I'm fine with that. But I do find it worthy of looking at, even with the limitations of the study (ie: correlation vs. causation, etc.).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-03-2018, 04:26 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Of course someone with a medical condition that makes your body react poorly to carbs isn't included in this.

And be honest, was he eating bread, cookies, sugar, white rice and fried potatoes?

Here's where I find the problem with the low/no carb: you are omitting a huge array of nutrients. Sure you can get them partially replaced... if you eat the whole animal. But most people aren't doing that, they are not eating spleen, brains, tripe and all the nutrient dense parts of the animals (like the Inuits). They are picking the part they like, like a ribeye.

These whole trends of omitting whole food groups is not healthy, whether it be vegetarian or low carb IMO.

If you find an increase of 32% increased chance of dying in a 6 year time span not note-worthy, I'm fine with that. But I do find it worthy of looking at, even with the limitations of the study (ie: correlation vs. causation, etc.).
I agree. I don't believe in the the trends that require eliminating entire food groups. I eat moderately of all things including a little "junk food". I like plant foods and I like animal protein. I just don't gorge on anything. The Chinese have a food philosophy "There is no bad food, just wrong food at the wrong time."

Old 09-03-2018, 05:07 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,998 times
Quote:

We probably don't need any grains though. Humans started eating them relatively recently, and we evolved for millions of years without them.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
We probably don't need any grains though. Humans started eating them relatively recently, and we evolved for millions of years without them.
Recent evidence shows Paleo man ate grains. But whether or not that's accurate really doesn't matter. We evolved before fire was used for cooking two, and I'll stick with cooked food.

And grains are not the only source of carbs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-03-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Its called evolving. We have longer life spans now too.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:11 PM

If you eat low carb because you have diabetes this is not directed at you! If you are eating a certain way because of a medical condition this does not apply to you.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:50 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:

A fresh veggie salad with chickpeas fits in with a low-carb diet, so I'm not quite following you. What whole food groups are eliminated, in a low-carb diet? One can have brown rice, or chickpeas or regular peas, or red beans, for example, in small amounts. Diabetics generally have to eliminate fruits, except for berries, so there's a category. Corn and potatoes need to be avoided, but that's not exactly a whole category.

Could you elaborate on what you had in mind? It's an important topic, so -- you have my ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss