Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 01:03 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Good point. Up until recently, the American Diabetes Association was well funded by soda companies. Not sure about now, I haven't kept up with it. Who knows what other special interests are/were involved. They still don't actually recommend low carb to treat diabetes. Makes me wonder. The drug companies are directly affected by carb consumption. If diabetics switch to a low carb lifestyle, they would be out of business wouldn't they? In actuality not out of business, diabetes, for the most part, is not reversible. Their sales though would go down drastically. Who would pay for all of these new drugs on the market? We are flooded with these commercials on a daily basis. No, diabetes drug makers don't want you on low carb either.

Big Soda sponsored 96 health groups — a big conflict of interest, study says
Coca-Cola’s Relationship With Health Is Truly Bizarre
Soda companies also sponsored the US professional organization of dietitians (they changed the name a few times, not sure what it is now). That actually caused a split in the org, and some left and founded a separate organization.

Soda companies also sponsor CME for doctors and nurses. Crazy world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 01:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Carbs: bad and good, not bad across the board.

White flour, sugar, and all that is universally accepted as bad for you. Quinoa, millet, faro and good whole foods like that are very good for you.

And I can't emphasize enough: variety and moderation
I think you meant to say good "Whole Foods (t)"

But only for this year. Next year or the year after, they will be bad for you and calf liver oil will be good for you. Then you will only be healthy if you are a lot of eggs. Then carrots will become good for you again. then fish. . . .

What is good for you right now depends on which industry is paying the most.

Eat what you enjoy. You are going to die anyway. If something makes you feel awful, stop eating it.

When I stay away form carbs my digestion improves considerably. I eat a lot less volume, and probably because of better digestion, I sleep better. For me, sleep is more critical to my health than diet.

Sleep is definitely good for you. Except too much.

that seems ot be universally true, too much anything is bad for you. Even too much Quinoa.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Meat consumption is up, and I'm not sure why you would say it has nothing to do with that lobby.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ecord-in-2018/

You understand that commodities have lobbies too? So why trust one and not the other, or vice versa?
When it comes to lobbyists, the food industry is no exception. In Washington, as on Main St., they make their voices heard loud and clear. Political contributions as well as marketing campaigns are well-funded by their corporate masters.

"Beef ...it's whats for dinner!" - The old commercial with a Robert Mitchum voice-over and Aaron Copland's "Billy the Kid" providing a symphonic western musical motif. Brought to you by the American Beef Council

"Pork ...the other white" -American Pork producers

Kellogg's Tony the tiger saying Frosted Flakes is part of a "good breakfast" to millions of kids on Saturday morning endless cartoon programs. Yeah ..."It's Grrrreat!"

I wouldn't trust the whole bunch of them as far as I could throw them!

Old 09-05-2018, 01:45 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Meat consumption is up, and I'm not sure why you would say it has nothing to do with that lobby.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ecord-in-2018/

You understand that commodities have lobbies too? So why trust one and not the other, or vice versa?
Why? it's obvious. High carb people consume meat too and it's not conclusive that keto dieters are the reason behind higher meat consumption mentioned in the article. They only assume that with this statement.

Quote:
Many Americans are actively shunning carbohydrates in favor of protein, though any health benefits may be outweighed by the sheer volume of meat, eggs and dairy being consumed.
They also go on to say

Quote:
It’s a sharp turnaround from 2007 through 2014, a time when per-capita meat and poultry demand slumped 9 percent as rising corn-based ethanol demand and a drought sent commodity prices sharply higher.

Even though cattle and hogs are now far cheaper than their 2014 peak, prices have staged a rebound. U.S. meat exports have soared as the global economy improves, outpacing the gains in domestic demand.

Most-active cattle futures in Chicago rose 4.7 percent in 2017, the first gain in three years, and hogs climbed 8.5 percent. Cash livestock prices may fall in 2018, the USDA forecasts.
This seems like a normal fluctuation to me. I really don't see anybody "pushing" low carb especially not food lobbies. I'm sure the meat industry wants you to buy more meat but not because of keto dieting.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I think you meant to say good "Whole Foods (t)"

But only for this year. Next year or the year after, they will be bad for you and calf liver oil will be good for you. Then you will only be healthy if you are a lot of eggs. Then carrots will become good for you again. then fish. . . .

What is good for you right now depends on which industry is paying the most.

Eat what you enjoy. You are going to die anyway. If something makes you feel awful, stop eating it.

When I stay away form carbs my digestion improves considerably. I eat a lot less volume, and probably because of better digestion, I sleep better. For me, sleep is more critical to my health than diet.

Sleep is definitely good for you. Except too much.

that seems ot be universally true, too much anything is bad for you. Even too much Quinoa.
Whatever happened to oat bran? Was HUGE in the 1980s. Biggest superfood, save your life thing you could eat ... until it wasn't.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:24 PM

Everyone eats meat: except vegan/other veggie eaters
Everyone eats dairy: high carb people eat low fat, low carb people eat high fat

Old 09-05-2018, 04:00 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Why? it's obvious. High carb people consume meat too and it's not conclusive that keto dieters are the reason behind higher meat consumption mentioned in the article. They only assume that with this statement.

They also go on to say

This seems like a normal fluctuation to me. I really don't see anybody "pushing" low carb especially not food lobbies. I'm sure the meat industry wants you to buy more meat but not because of keto dieting.

I'm not sure why you apply different views of lobbying, but I'm fine with it.

Though you commented that that there are no processed food for keto, and that is not entirely true. Atkins food division was a half million dollar industry by itself, which is all processed. There are millions of processed low carb / keto food out there. Gosh, protein powder alone fills aisles.

But like I said, moderation and variety. I use protein powder and bars, and that works for me.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-05-2018, 06:50 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:

Though you commented that that there are no processed food for keto, and that is not entirely true. Atkins food division was a half million dollar industry by itself, which is all processed. There are millions of processed low carb / keto food out there. Gosh, protein powder alone fills aisles.

But like I said, moderation and variety. I use protein powder and bars, and that works for me.
What I find crazy now is the presence of protein in just about everything....baked goods, candy bars, etc. it's like the low-fat craze all over again, this time the food industry is latching onto the low carb/high protein craze. LOL. Thank goodness I don't really pay attention to particular macros or what the food industry says I should eat.

Also the net carbs thing....where the food item is prepared with a whole bunch of indigestible filler fiber (corn fiber, for example?) in order to lower the carb count. People just key in on a macro to the exclusion of everything else. First fat. Then protein. Now carbs. I'm waiting till we go full circle...

Finally, those low carb/low calorie sweets that are filled with a bunch of sugar alcohols that are hard to pronounce. People think that since there's no sugar, they can indulge in these things. I hope they enjoy the trips to the bathroom. The one percent of one percent of affected people is surprisingly huge and there are more sorbitol/erytheritol/xylitol/mannitol sensitive people then one would like to think.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:54 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What I find crazy now is the presence of protein in just about everything....baked goods, candy bars, etc. it's like the low-fat craze all over again, this time the food industry is latching onto the low carb/high protein craze. LOL. Thank goodness I don't really pay attention to particular macros or what the food industry says I should eat.
\.
Couldn't agree with this more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-05-2018, 07:56 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:

I still don't see what lobbying you were talking about. I certainly don't know that cereal companies are lobbying against low carb. It just makes perfect sense that they would. It's just a hunch on my part. They wouldn't reveal that information if they could help it. Now if it's lobbying for low carb by the meat industry I see that as being highly unlikely. Most people eat meat and dairy as we talked about.

What I did say was "I don't see too many "keto friendly" packaged foods." I was being literal, there are some but not too many. Atkins is not Keto. The diets are somewhat similar but not the same. Atkins is a brand name and they are out to make money, Keto is just a diet/lifestyle. The most important distinction between the two is that Atkins is high protein, Keto is moderate protein high fat. Atkins is used to lose weight, keto is also used for better health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss