Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 11:33 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Nutrition is much more than fuel, and macros.

I think that is where we are seeing the reports of people dying younger who do low carb. But, as with anything, time will tell.
I think they are one in the same and there is no proof people are dying younger. It's all BS made up by the food companies. They are obviously feeling the pinch from lower sales of cereal, bread, cookies etc. And yes, time would have to tell before you could make any conclusion like that and even then there would be no way to blame the low carb. These observational studies and junk. They are betting that people will believe them on their face value alone but once you go into the science it would be easy to see there is nothing to prove anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 11:38 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Of course someone with a medical condition that makes your body react poorly to carbs isn't included in this.

And be honest, was he eating bread, cookies, sugar, white rice and fried potatoes?

Or things like faro risotto or a fresh veggie and chickpea salad?

Here's where I find the problem with the low/no carb: you are omitting a huge array of nutrients. Sure you can get them partially replaced... if you eat the whole animal. But most people aren't doing that, they are not eating spleen, brains, tripe and all the nutrient dense parts of the animals (like the Inuits). They are picking the part they like, like a ribeye.

These whole trends of omitting whole food groups is not healthy, whether it be vegetarian or low carb IMO.

If you find an increase of 32% increased chance of dying in a 6 year time span not note-worthy, I'm fine with that. But I do find it worthy of looking at, even with the limitations of the study (ie: correlation vs. causation, etc.).
Only for people who are eating healthy carbs. Which is a very small minority.

For the majority of the population? They would be omitting lots of sugar and preservatives if they went low carb. it would be healthier. for the majority of the US. Ir would decrease the epidemic of diabetes in one generation.

Edit to add: Cutting out worthless calories = better health. They aren't cutting out anything nutritious.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:39 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I think they are one in the same and there is no proof people are dying younger. It's all BS made up by the food companies. They are obviously feeling the pinch from lower sales of cereal, bread, cookies etc. And yes, time would have to tell before you could make any conclusion like that and even then there would be no way to blame the low carb. These observational studies and junk. They are betting that people will believe them on their face value alone but once you go into the science it would be easy to see there is nothing to prove anything.
Add in the money made through diabetes ... and good gawd. There is no financial reason for businesses to support low carb.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:45 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
But you don't think the keto diets are BS from food lobbies?

I completely believe that a huge portion of studies on both sides of the aisle are done by opposing food lobbies.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
But you don't think the keto diets are BS from food lobbies?
How so? People on keto diets generally eat whole foods instead of packaged processed foods? I don't see too many "keto friendly" packaged foods. How could that be BS from the food lobbies?

Old 09-05-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
How so? People on keto diets generally eat whole foods instead of packaged processed foods? I don't see too many "keto friendly" packaged foods. How could that be BS from the food lobbies?
Meat and dairy industries?

When I discuss food, I am always talking about whole foods, I am never talking about processed foods or simple carbs.

I've commented before on the shows that support diets (all of them, veggie, keto, etc.) where they take a family and go "wow!!! this keto / this vegetarian diet has cured them of all kinds of problems!!

Well, duh. They take families eating pizza, doritos, and soda. Of course they do better on any whole food diet, whether keto or vegetarian, or anything in between. Just whole foods is the important part.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Meat and dairy industries?
So keto people are the only ones that eat meat and dairy? I don't see your logic. Last time I checked most people (except veg's) eat meat and dairy. Those lobbies wouldn't be affected either way unless it was from the sugar industry stating those foods were unhealthy. We have seen that by the way.

As for the processed/packaged foods, they are obviously bad. You and I know that, but a large percentage of the population does not. I did mention cookies, cereals, and bread. Those are all packaged. How many people that you know that make their own cereal? Cookies maybe and bread to a much lesser degree. Either way, it's just an example. There are many more I could mention.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:22 PM

I make my own cereal.

But I buy my sprouted grain bread.

I'm not an all or nothing type of person.

Variety and moderation.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Add in the money made through diabetes ... and good gawd. There is no financial reason for businesses to support low carb.
Good point. Up until recently, the American Diabetes Association was well funded by soda companies. Not sure about now, I haven't kept up with it. Who knows what other special interests are/were involved. They still don't actually recommend low carb to treat diabetes. Makes me wonder. The drug companies are directly affected by carb consumption. If diabetics switch to a low carb lifestyle, they would be out of business wouldn't they? In actuality not out of business, diabetes, for the most part, is not reversible. Their sales though would go down drastically. Who would pay for all of these new drugs on the market? We are flooded with these commercials on a daily basis. No, diabetes drug makers don't want you on low carb either.

Big Soda sponsored 96 health groups — a big conflict of interest, study says
Coca-Cola’s Relationship With Health Is Truly Bizarre

Old 09-05-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
So keto people are the only ones that eat meat and dairy? I don't see your logic. Last time I checked most people (except veg's) eat meat and dairy. Those lobbies wouldn't be affected either way unless it was from the sugar industry stating those foods were unhealthy. We have seen that by the way.

As for the processed/packaged foods, they are obviously bad. You and I know that, but a large percentage of the population does not. I did mention cookies, cereals, and bread. Those are all packaged. How many people that you know that make their own cereal? Cookies maybe and bread to a much lesser degree. Either way, it's just an example. There are many more I could mention.

Meat consumption is up, and I'm not sure why you would say it has nothing to do with that lobby.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...ecord-in-2018/

You understand that commodities have lobbies too? So why trust one and not the other, or vice versa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss