Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 04:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If you eat low carb because you have diabetes this is not directed at you! If you are eating a certain way because of a medical condition this does not apply to you.
lol. Well, why didn't you say so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 04:41 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Do I believe that long term diets high in proteins and fats are unhealthy? Yep. I do think the data will show an increase in cancer, heart disease and strokes.

Variety and moderation are the key IMO.
Define "high" in protein and fat.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:07 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Define "high" in protein and fat.
In general, any diet that is made up of, primarily, fat and protein.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-04-2018, 06:06 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
In general, any diet that is made up of, primarily, fat and protein.
I wouldn't necessarily say that though. If you're eating 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein it's primarily fat and protein. I don't see anything wrong with that macro ratio. Something like Keto which is more 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs though, yeah. The body can do amazingly well on almost anything but I remain skeptical about how healthy you can eat limiting carbs that much.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say that though. If you're eating 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein it's primarily fat and protein. I don't see anything wrong with that macro ratio. Something like Keto which is more 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs though, yeah. The body can do amazingly well on almost anything but I remain skeptical about how healthy you can eat limiting carbs that much.
I agree.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:26 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,015,804 times
So it sounds like "low carb" means truly low. Atkins or Keto low. Less than 50 low. I've been slowly lowering my carb intake over the last few years. But I had a high carb diet. Lots of bread and high carb snacks. I've also been increasing my fiber intake.

I'm down to somewhere between 150 - 250 total carbs per day -- which appears to be good enough since 225 is the low end of what is recommended. Not that this 'study' is anything to worry about. Just thinking it through for myself....

Although my understanding is that Keto is not supposed to be a rest of your life diet change. More of a weight loss system, then there is a slightly higher carb amount allowed for maintaining.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:14 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I know why, carbohydrates are the only macros that are NOT ESSENTIAL. Wow, that was complicated.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:58 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I know why, carbohydrates are the only macros that are NOT ESSENTIAL. Wow, that was complicated.
While carbs are not technically "essential," it is the body's preferred source of energy:

https://intrafitt.wordpress.com/2010...rce-of-energy/

Old 09-05-2018, 10:41 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
While carbs are not technically "essential," it is the body's preferred source of energy:

https://intrafitt.wordpress.com/2010...rce-of-energy/
You are correct and I'll even go a step further. Some cells will run only on glucose. Not only that, all foods contain carbs except meat and fat so you can never really go "no" carb unless you are stranded in the woods or in the artic where all you have is meat. In those cases, the body would make it's own from protein and to a lesser degree fat. In all other cases, vegetables, fruits and nuts would contain carbohydrates. So the issue is not the carbs themselves but the type and the amount and whether you want to use them as a primary fuel source.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:50 AM

Nutrition is much more than fuel, and macros.

I think that is where we are seeing the reports of people dying younger who do low carb. But, as with anything, time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss