Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 03:44 AM

296 posts, read 571,022 times

Advertisements

Thank You for all of the helpful replies and information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 06:57 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
No magic in the solution to this problem-- you weigh exactly what "the theory" says you should weigh, given your calorie intake.

The common wisdom in nutrition is that you need ~10 cal /d to maintain each lb of body weight. You take in 2600 cal, so you can maintain a wt of 260 lb (close enough for govt work). You're right where you should be for that diet.

Now fat contains 9cal/g and a lb is 454g. To burn up 1 lb of fat gives you over 4000 cal--ie-- almost 2 days worth of food in one lousy lb of fat.

No wonder it's so hard to lose weight!

Old 10-10-2019, 07:31 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times
FWIW, I had borderline HBP and removed all the salt from the house (except a box in the bathroom for gargling when we have colds). None in the kitchen. And my numbers went well within the normal range. Of course there's tons of salt in processed foods, but we don't eat much, if any, of that.

Salt, like sugar, is addictive; food companies load as much as they can get away with, into their products, in order to boost sales. Do they care about health issues? It doesn't appear so.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
FWIW, I had borderline HBP and removed all the salt from the house (except a box in the bathroom for gargling when we have colds). None in the kitchen. And my numbers went well within the normal range. Of course there's tons of salt in processed foods, but we don't eat much, if any, of that.

Salt, like sugar, is addictive; food companies load as much as they can get away with, into their products, in order to boost sales. Do they care about health issues? It doesn't appear so.
Not everyone is salt sensitive. Sensible advice to try but not a guarantee.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:11 AM

9,289 posts, read 14,894,337 times
I hope you're aware of the Valsartan recall and lawsuits....

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safet...artan-losartan

Old 10-14-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Not everyone is salt sensitive. Sensible advice to try but not a guarantee.
Yes, apparently. I wasn't really aware of this distinction until it was pointed out recently. I don't know what the stats are. My guess is, as you indicated, that removing salt is worth a try. HBP is so serious, and can lead to stroke.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:41 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:

Salt is one of those great 8 glasses of water a day myths. There's really no evidence-based support for limited salt intake. E.g., this metastudy looked at 2,655 references to determine if low sodium diets were of any benefit for patients with a history of heart attack. All but 9 were immediately chucked out for being useless , and the nine remaining found... nothing at all.

Probably don't want to eat 6,000 milligrams of sodium a day but there's also some limited data showing that less than half of the recommended limit increases the risk of heart attack. Specifically that might be a problem for a vegan who doesn't eat much processed food as salt is mostly found in meat and animal products and, of course, added in massive quantities in processed food. So maybe put the salt shaker back on the table (or just eat a few pieces of whole wheat sodium bomb bread).

Old 10-14-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Salt is one of those great 8 glasses of water a day myths. There's really no evidence-based support for limited salt intake. E.g., this metastudy looked at 2,655 references to determine if low sodium diets were of any benefit for patients with a history of heart attack. All but 9 were immediately chucked out for being useless , and the nine remaining found... nothing at all.

Probably don't want to eat 6,000 milligrams of sodium a day but there's also some limited data showing that less than half of the recommended limit increases the risk of heart attack. Specifically that might be a problem for a vegan who doesn't eat much processed food as salt is mostly found in meat and animal products and, of course, added in massive quantities in processed food. So maybe put the salt shaker back on the table (or just eat a few pieces of whole wheat sodium bomb bread).
Given the seriousness of the issue, it's not appropriate for you to make that recommendation.

If anyone has hypertension, remove the salt from the house. It's addictive, and if it's there, you might be tempted to use it. If your blood pressure does not improve in a few months, I would be very surprised.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Given the seriousness of the issue, it's not appropriate for you to make that recommendation.

If anyone has hypertension, remove the salt from the house. It's addictive, and if it's there, you might be tempted to use it. If your blood pressure does not improve in a few months, I would be very surprised.
No reason to remove the salt shaker. The amount of salt that people add to food, as opposed to the amount in processed foods, is generally pretty trivial. While there's no evidence-based reason to limit sodium intake specifically for heart disease, conventional wisdom isn't always wrong either. But that's no reason to throw out the salt shaker. It's really the processed foods you have to watch. Can of Progresso chicken noodle soup has 1,400 milligrams of sodium, a massive amount of salt. Skip the canned soup (and other processed foods) and sprinkle away and it's not hard to stay under the 2,500 or 1,500 mg recommendations. Particularly for a vegan. Animal products have a fair amount of sodium in them.

And then of course there's exercise which is part of a healthy lifestyle. Everyone has their own natural sweat makeup and I do tend to be a salty sweater. One of the things I had to do when I cut way back on the processed foods was intentionally add salt. Half a teaspoon mixed in with my homebrew sports drink works for longer exercise or I'll simply salt load the day before or in the morning if I'm going on a longer bike ride or run than my normal 3-5 mile jog.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-14-2019 at 01:59 PM..

Old 10-15-2019, 08:00 AM

https://medium.com/@drjasonfung/the-...am-1973d73dccd

There's Fung's take. A bit simplistic but it's a quick read. What data there is really points to at least getting half the recommended limit of 2,300 milligrams of sodium if you'd rather not have higher mortality risk. Of course there's correction causation there and it could be that the low sodium group all has some uncontrolled risk factor while the high sodium groups that have no higher risk of heart disease could be genetic unicorns which is negating the effects of high sodium. But probably not as less controlled population studies likewise show no correlation either and you're looking at millions of people there.

Plants mostly don't have much sodium, Swiss chard and spinach being notable exceptions. Ten cups of cooked Swiss Chard, or 30 cups of spinach, would get you around half the recommended limit. But that's a lot of chard or spinach. Alternatively processed foods are loaded with it. Not vegan but I had peanut butter toast for breakfast which was around 600 mgs of sodium. But if you're not eating much processed foods the salt shaker maybe could make a reappearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss