Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:19 AM

296 posts, read 572,663 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am currently taking the Blood Pressure Medicine Valsartan 160mg each day. I was 240 pounds when I started taking the medicine two years ago and have not changed my diet at all and have been gaining weight each year. I am currently 270 pounds. I am 6ft 2inches and 54 years old. I exercise four times a week for 30 minutes and I work 12 hours a day. 11 hours of my day consist constant walking on a production floor at work. I am really frustrated and depressed because of the weight gain. I consume approximately 2,600 calories a day, do not drink, do not smoke and feel fine for the most part. I was taken off my prior Blood Pressure Medicine because it caused me to have constant coughing. My Doctor then prescribed Valsartan at 160mg each day. Can this be the reason I have gained so much weight? I would be very thankful for any information or suggestions you have to help me. Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 07:46 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,496,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
Hello,
I am currently taking the Blood Pressure Medicine Valsartan 160mg each day. I was 240 pounds when I started taking the medicine two years ago and have not changed my diet at all and have been gaining weight each year. I am currently 270 pounds. I am 6ft 2inches and 54 years old. I exercise four times a week for 30 minutes and I work 12 hours a day. 11 hours of my day consist constant walking on a production floor at work. I am really frustrated and depressed because of the weight gain. I consume approximately 2,600 calories a day, do not drink, do not smoke and feel fine for the most part. I was taken off my prior Blood Pressure Medicine because it caused me to have constant coughing. My Doctor then prescribed Valsartan at 160mg each day. Can this be the reason I have gained so much weight? I would be very thankful for any information or suggestions you have to help me. Thank You!
You've come to the right place. You are going to hear from people that it's all about calories in and calories out and they are right up to a point. You say 2600 calories a day so I assume you keep track. You say you exercise and that should help but still you gain weight and by the way, exercise does not help that much with weight loss unless you're a long distance runner or something like that. If you were to not eat would the BP meds still make you gain weight? I don't know but I seriously doubt it. Could it be the type of food you eat?

Old 09-06-2018, 07:58 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,064,597 times
Quote:
Hello,
Are you under a great deal of stress? That can lead to weight gain. Otherwise, it may be age-related. I started to gain a bit after menopause at age 52 and have ten pounds that are hanging on for dear life no matter what I do. I sympathize but don’t have many suggestions. I have tried cutting calories and increasing fiber to feel full, but it’s an uphill battle. I walk on my treadmill about four hours per week in addition to walking my dogs (walking them is more aimless meandering than it is exercise for me).

Don’t quit trying. If nothing else, exercise will help keep you healthier and may keep you from gaining more. Could you walk on a treadmill while watching tv instead of sitting? (ETA: I know you said you walk while working, but a treadmill may feel different.)

Best wishes.

Last edited by Gusano; 09-06-2018 at 08:11 AM..

Old 09-06-2018, 08:05 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,913,094 times
The older we get, the less calories we need. Maybe 2600 calories is too much. Have you tried cutting back to see if that led to weight loss?

Old 09-06-2018, 09:23 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,834,493 times
Quote:
Hello,
As we age we need less calories. It may be your medication or your age or a combination of the two.
I would write everything down that you eat either by hand or at a website like Myfitnesspal or Sparkpeople. You will be amazed at how much you do actually eat and how caloric things are.

From there you can decide on how you want to proceed.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:53 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,683,268 times
OP, that does seem to be a dramatic weight gain considering nothing else has changed.

It *could* be the medication. That's not a side effect of the medication; however, every person reacts differently.

Is there a chance that your doctor could change you again just to see what happens?

Old 09-06-2018, 10:02 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,583,990 times
Last year I lost 70 lbs on purpose. As a result, my blood pressure dropped to around 100/60 and so my doctor took me off of my medications. In the next few months I lost another 10 lbs with the only significant change being the absence of my BP medication (was taking Diovan).

And so I'm going to tell you that the medication must have a moderate effect on metabolism. I would also suggest that you should reduce your average daily consumption by ten percent. My favorite advice for adult men is to follow a 2,000 calorie per day diet for six months and see where that gets you. That's a healthy amount of food, allows for plenty of enjoyable options and provides flexibility for those times when you just want to indulge without guilt.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:54 AM

22,675 posts, read 24,654,149 times
Maybe insulin-resistant, giving a low-carb diet a try could help, with the goal of lowering BP and getting of the BP-meds.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:17 AM

296 posts, read 572,663 times
Thank You everyone for your helpful advice and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:11 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,515,203 times
Formerly obese person here who is also hypertensive.

As others have said, 2600 calories may be too much even at your height, activity level and being male. You are middle aged, too. You probably should be in the 2000-2200 range, and maybe a bit less for weight loss. Download an app like LoseIt or MyFitnessPal.

Hypertension meds do have "weight gain" as a side effect, but it isn't all that common. You may have something causing fluid retention. Most rapid gain is due to fluid. Discuss your concerns with your doctor, who may prescribe a diuretic like HCTZ. You can also ask him/her to put you on another medicine. I experienced several side effects to the "pril" meds, so now I take Losartan and HCTZ and have had no weight gain. I actually don't experience any side effects at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss