Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 01:46 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I've been keto for 2+ years now.
My diet is similar - heavy on poultry, fish, eggs, and green veggies. Cheese, pork, and red meat in moderation.
I use heavy cream daily in my coffee, love Kerrygold butter on steamed veggies, and I often have a small bowl of full fat Greek yogurt topped with a few berries and a Tbsp of flaxseed.
Like you, cheese crisps (Whisps) are a frequent treat.
Sugar-free jello has maltodextrin which my gut doesn't like at all.
Chia puddings are the bomb and recipes abound on the internet. Mostly I use yogurt, chia seeds, almond milk, and a splash of vanilla extract, topped with whatever spices I have on hand - cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg. Many folks add artificial sweeteners but I'm not a fan.

For me it's easiest to take a Paleo approach to eating so I don't have many recipes.
I've adapted my soup and chili recipes, primarily by leaving out potatoes, corn, beans, rice, and other starchy foods.
I used to eat rice with chili and with chicken soup but I've learned to enjoy cauliflower rice (available frozen) with them. Took awhile to acquire that taste but now I look forward to it.

My husband loves pot roast. I still prepare it for him just the same and avoid the carrots/potatoes when I'm eating. Mashed cauliflower (available frozen) is an excellent substitute. Again, it took awhile but now I love it.

One recipe staple for me is tuna or salmon cakes/patties. I beat an egg, add a can/pkg of tuna or salmon, a Tbsp (more or less) of olive oil mayo, dump in however much crushed pork rinds (Epic brand) as a substitute for bread crumbs, a good pinch of crushed red pepper, dill, garlic, onion powder, or whatever other seasonings I have on hand. Divide the mixture into 3's or 4's, roll into balls, flatten out a bit, chill for a few hours, then saute in coconut oil for 4-5 mins on each side. So good. I love them hot or cold. When cold, they're great broken up into green salads.
The tuna / salmon cakes sound amazing. I will have to try it. Thank you for sharing. I also have very few recipes and when I make something I usually eat it for 5 days (take to work for dinner). My favorite right now is the steaming the whole head of cauliflower, add 1/2 package cream cheese, 2 tbs butter and blend. Then I add steamed broceli, spinach, zuchinni and some type of meat ( usually chicken or pork that I have cooked in a crock pot) I mix it all together and dish it out in portions for the week.

I can eat something for 5 days and never tire of it. My husband, now that is a different story. Plus he won't eat most of the stuff I cook. Too healthy he says.

I am maintaining my weight at this point. I lost 28 pounds total. Haven't felt this good or been to this weight in over 20 years. This has been the only thing that works for me and something I love and can stick with.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 12:29 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,251,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I can eat something for 5 days and never tire of it.
I like grilled Jewel Cheap Chicken and have been eating it four days a week.
All of this chicken eating has really accelerated my weight loss.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:47 PM

10 posts, read 6,474 times
I have tried different diets, and the keto one seems so far to be the one I like the most (or that I can actually follow through it without feeling hungry all the time). I kinda had a hard time at the beginning trying to figure out what I could or couldn't eat, but I found an example menu that helped me start, that I wanted to share!

[mod cut - enough with the treadmill links]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 04-08-2019 at 05:05 AM..

Old 06-01-2019, 06:07 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
My brother had good success with Keto. He stopped eating sugar, HFCS, and white carbs. He also gave up his craft beer habit--liquid carbs as he called it.

He's lost 21 pounds and looks wonderful. Hope he keeps it up...He was having trouble getting into his clothes and decided to go Keto rather than buy a new wardrobe.

Told me he feels a lot better, too. No more aching knees and hips, and his BP dropped.

Made a believer out of me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss