Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 11:03 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Maybe, but you're not destructive, consistently negative or uninformed.
I like "uninformed", it's a nicer way of saying "ignorant". It's not their fault (sometimes) and there's no way to educate everybody and there will always be naysayers, regardless.

Fasting is a "lack thereof" of a diet and certainly not "quackery". Nobody is pushing this on anybody and it's certainly not coming from a doctor or someone pretending to be one.

Quote:
quack·er·y
dishonest practices and claims to have special knowledge and skill in some field, typically medicine.
Again, doesn't apply in this situation.

I could post an endless array of links to articles about fasting but I won't bother. Fasting is therapeutic and healing and has been recognized as that for centuries, enough said.

I personally do not fast for weight loss, if it happens fine but I just feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 12:36 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I'll be thinking of those poor saps on a water fast today as they starve themselves of much needed nutrients and liquids,develop horrendous halitosis and spending their time monitoring what comes out of their backside.

I am having some old friends round for dinner as we always do on the day after Christmas.

We shall start with a bottle of Krug champagne and probably move on to a few bottles of Spanish wine - I love the Tempranillo grape.

My wife is in charge of the canapes and she makes some really tasty morsels.

I'll be cooking thick juicy ribeyes,with a huge bowl of homemade salad and double-fried fries.

Dessert is sticky toffee pudding and double cream.

Enjoy your day eating grilled fresh air.
And what a fabulous meal it was.
Meanwhile some numpty is still denying themselves food and water because it makes them feel better.
Hogwash.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:45 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
I did a 21 day fast once and it resolved some health issues I was having. For one thing I had a sinus infection and was thinking I’d need to go get antibiotics but decided to wait and see what the fast would do. By the middle of the second day my sinuses were clearer than they’d ever been. I almost never get sick anymore but if I did I’d go off my feed for a couple of days.

Also, I was late to the menopause table and after the fast I never had another period. At 56 that was a good thing.

I feared going into it that I would be in a nasty mood the whole time but the opposite was true. I feared that I’d crave sweets and junk food but I dreamed of nutritious food. My skin glowed. If you do an extended fast it’s good to keep a journal. I don’t recommend this if you have to go to work every day—I’m a teacher and had the summer off when i did this.

As for dry fasting I have some experience but not much. It takes more preparation and I would never do it for 21 days. 2 is the longest and supposedly 1 day of it gives the same benefits as 3 days of water fasting. I was very weak and probably won’t try it again but I don’t think it hurt my health. I just didn’t feel that I got the triple benefits from it.

I have heard nonsense statements from people that you can’t safely water fast for more than 40 days or you will starve. As long as you have excess fat stores you can fast. One very portly gentleman in Scotland fasted for over a year once and only gained 15 lbs back after losing more than 200 lbs.

As for the uninformed poster...my question to him is, who exactly is getting the kickback from people forgoing food? When I’m seeking out the truth of something I always follow the money. Fasting is as ancient as the human race.

Last edited by stepka; 12-28-2018 at 09:54 PM..

Old 12-28-2018, 10:25 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Has anyone done this, say, a 48 hour fast or longer? There are Facebook groups discussing this and it appears to be very common. The health benefits are said to be substantial.

There's the water fast and a dry fast. The longest I've gone is 23 hours.
OP, I'm at the end of Day 2 of my first 3-Day water fast.

I decided to do this Thursday-Friday-Saturday. I intentionally ate a little more than usual on Wednesday.

Thursday wasn't as hard as today (Friday). You feel the drain in unexpected places (particularly the physical head {not mental}). I got sleepy (and went to sleep) much earlier than normal, and didn't drink nearly as much water as I thought I would. Once I got in bed, I had these kind of weird sensations (I had these semi-hallucinations about feeling like a squirrel ), but it was very easy to fall asleep, and the sleep was much better than usual.

Woke up today 3 lbs less than Thursday morning. I'm down about 2 more lbs before I go to bed. I did almost quit midday and go on a binge eat. But I persisted, and still haven't let anything into my mouth that wasn't water. I decided I would be more disappointed in myself for quitting than I would have had relief from eating again.

Overall, it feels like a nightmare that you get used to, or alternates from horrible to tolerable. My wife tried, but quit after 6 hours on Thursday.

Backstory: I've been everywhere from slightly overweight to obese since the age of 9. At age 29, I went on a diet and lost 85 lbs over 2 years. I plateaued for 2 years at the lowest weight I had ever been as an adult, and have gained 30 lbs back over the last 3 years. 35 years old now.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
And what a fabulous meal it was.
Meanwhile some numpty is still denying themselves food and water because it makes them feel better.
Hogwash.
Yeah, and ignorance is bliss.

Oh and I do eat, by the way, very well If I may say, when I actually eat. I certainly do not hold back water (or coffee), that would be plain stupid and kill your kidneys. I don't recommend dry fasts to anybody. NO reason for that.

I eat to live, not live to eat which is a good strategy to prevent more problems on top of the ones I already have.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:34 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
If you go 26-31, that would six days. I don't think I could do it.

And just the thought of bone broth--which is exactly what it sounds like it is--freaks me out, just totally.
Well, bones are what chicken and beef broth is made from. Bones, with a few veg's thrown in for flavor.
I love it, and make my own.

I eat only one meal a day so I guess I am IF every day. Just not hungry.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:18 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Yeah, and ignorance is bliss.
Only a foolish, non-compliant diabetic would eat the crap he ate except on rare occasions.
Even if he cut out the bad stuff, the guy doesn't even know how to pick out a steak.
I eat nothing but T-bones and filets... not horse meat aka ribeye.

I exercise, but it's cardio, not my jaw muscles!

Old 12-29-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
OP, I'm at the end of Day 2 of my first 3-Day water fast.
Good for you!
Have you fasted before this? KZ and me have been at it for awhile, but nothing on this epic scale.
I haven't had any side effects at all and have lost about 6 lbs so far.
I haven't even had many hunger pangs and have not been tempted to quit.

The only thing left is deciding when to end it. I hit 6 days at 7pm CST on 12/31.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Yes you do sacrifice muscle. Period. We normally re-cycle muscle (constant anabolism/catabolism). If you're not taking in new protein, then catabolism exceeds anabolism. It may not be a big difference in a short fast, but it IS happening.

If you need to do a fast, then you ARE over-eating now. Pretty simple logic.
guido,

You are factually wrong on both points.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:29 PM

I just got back from a fast paced 3-mile walk on the treadmill at the Y.
That's twice now that I've exercised during this long fast... no problem either time.

So it does appear that exercise and fasting are not exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss