Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:47 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I'm glad I don't like it, because I think I'd get a headache from trying to figure out whether it's good or bad for me.
It's really not complicated.

It's coffee + butter + MCT oil. Everyone knows what coffee and butter are.

MCT oil used to be an obscure supplement used almost exclusively in hospitals for patients with health conditions that prevented them from digesting normal dietary fat. There's no research that's shown it has any use otherwise (as in real research, not unfounded claims from the marketing team selling Bulletproof-branded coffee beens, MCT oil, and butter). I like fatty foods and prefer to get my nutrition from food instead of supplements.

I'll take my coffee black, use the butter to fry a couple eggs. Not really all that different but to me more satisfying. If someone else wants put the stick of butter in their coffee or just eat it out of the fridge, it's all the same butter. The supplements obviously can just take however you want to. Stick them in your coffee, take them in capsule form, make a salad dressing out of it, man up and just shotgun it like your grandma's cod liver oil, w/e.

Last edited by Malloric; 06-05-2019 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 03:38 PM

7,499 posts, read 7,190,021 times
just a clarify, when you say butter it gives people the wrong impression as that is actually not what bulletproof coffee is about. You actually want to use ghee which offers a distinct difference between it and regular butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's really not complicated.

It's coffee + butter + MCT oil. Everyone knows what coffee and butter are.

MCT oil used to be an obscure supplement used almost exclusively in hospitals for patients with health conditions that prevented them from digesting normal dietary fat. There's no research that's shown it has any use otherwise (as in real research, not unfounded claims from the marketing team selling Bulletproof-branded coffee beens, MCT oil, and butter). I like fatty foods and prefer to get my nutrition from food instead of supplements.

I'll take my coffee black, use the butter to fry a couple eggs. Not really all that different but to me more satisfying. If someone else wants put the stick of butter in their coffee or just eat it out of the fridge, it's all the same butter. The supplements obviously can just take however you want to. Stick them in your coffee, take them in capsule form, make a salad dressing out of it, man up and just shotgun it like your grandma's cod liver oil, w/e.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:07 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
just a clarify, when you say butter it gives people the wrong impression as that is actually not what bulletproof coffee is about. You actually want to use ghee which offers a distinct difference between it and regular butter.
Incorrect.

https://www.bulletproof.com/blogs/re...etproof-coffee

I mean, marketing BS aside you can put whatever you want in your own cup of coffee and nobody really cares. Me, I like to sometimes add cinnamon. It's your cup of coffee. I just put in cinnamon because it tastes good. If you like to make up stories about it giving you mystical dragon punching powers, you do you. I'm not that creative. If you can then get other people to buy into your stories and buy your stuff, hey, my hats off to you.

Last edited by Malloric; 06-05-2019 at 04:20 PM..

Old 06-05-2019, 06:01 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
It seems to be about a high-calorie beverage with few nutrients in excess of the recommended daily allowance of saturated fat. I fail to see the benefits of incorporating this in any diet or how this is relevant to the diet and weight loss forum. If you are trying to lose weight and are limiting yourself to around 1200-1400 calories daily, why would you want to have 500 of those calories be empty calories. My breakfast is not the best, but I at least try to get some vitamins and nutrients in.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:34 PM

289 posts, read 248,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It seems to be about a high-calorie beverage with few nutrients in excess of the recommended daily allowance of saturated fat. I fail to see the benefits of incorporating this in any diet or how this is relevant to the diet and weight loss forum. If you are trying to lose weight and are limiting yourself to around 1200-1400 calories daily, why would you want to have 500 of those calories be empty calories. My breakfast is not the best, but I at least try to get some vitamins and nutrients in.
Exactly, don't drink your calories, love coffee may or may not have health benefits think the jury is still out on this one, like butter but very much saturated fat in moderation, have milk in my coffee if anything added Protein

Old 06-05-2019, 08:07 PM

Correct....grass fed ghee butter, not butter which implies a stick of Land O’Lakes Butter.

Ghee vs Regular Butter

“Whereas butter contains butterfat, milk solids and water, ghee is pure butterfat cooked longer, until all moisture is removed and the milk solids are caramelized and then filtered out. While butter is not necessarily bad for you, ghee has health benefits that make it healthier than butter.”

Keep in mind ghee is the less important part of bulletproof coffee, MCT oil is most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Incorrect.

https://www.bulletproof.com/blogs/re...etproof-coffee

I mean, marketing BS aside you can put whatever you want in your own cup of coffee and nobody really cares. Me, I like to sometimes add cinnamon. It's your cup of coffee. I just put in cinnamon because it tastes good. If you like to make up stories about it giving you mystical dragon punching powers, you do you. I'm not that creative. If you can then get other people to buy into your stories and buy your stuff, hey, my hats off to you.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
problem here is you're making general statements without clarity and you're sending mixed message on the different things. example coconut oil is not the same as brain octane MCT.

Then again for someone who doesn't sound like they're interested in it you sure send a mixed message with the amount of time spent on this thread.
Just like to call out B.S.
But always ready to except i amy be wrong and science can change, if someone can show me good proof.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:12 PM

It is so much more than a perceived idea that it is just a high calorie beverage with few nutrients. Your missing the concept of bulletproof coffee with that way of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

Old 06-05-2019, 08:22 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,500,548 times
Quote:
It is so much more than a perceived idea that it is just a high calorie beverage with few nutrients.
If I add this coffee with 500 calories to my day, will I lose weight faster? I'm currently eating about 1200 calories a day and losing only about a pound a week.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
If I add this coffee with 500 calories to my day, will I lose weight faster? I'm currently eating about 1200 calories a day and losing only about a pound a week.

Of course you will you will also s*&^t like a trooper, I also have some snake oil that will leave your skin feeling like cleopatra's very cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss