Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 08:39 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Of course you will you will also s*&^t like a trooper, I also have some snake oil that will leave your skin feeling like cleopatra's very cheap.
I can’t even drink milkshakes due to the saturated fat content. I can’t even imagine what this would do to me. I would probably be on the floor writhing in pain, attempting to claw my way to the nearest toilet. Is that what I am supposed to “get” out of this. I guess I would lose weight, but I might as well go locate the nearest norovirus outbreak because it sounds like it would be quicker and less unpleasant. I could at least eat something that I wanted to eat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 11:49 PM

21,869 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Correct....grass fed ghee butter, not butter which implies a stick of Land O’Lakes Butter.

Ghee vs Regular Butter

“Whereas butter contains butterfat, milk solids and water, ghee is pure butterfat cooked longer, until all moisture is removed and the milk solids are caramelized and then filtered out. While butter is not necessarily bad for you, ghee has health benefits that make it healthier than butter.”

Keep in mind ghee is the less important part of bulletproof coffee, MCT oil is most important.
Yup. Grass fed ghee and Land O'Lakes stick o' butter, pretty much the same thing. The only really advantage is hopefully they're sourcing rGBH free butter for their ghee. While that's not proven to be important, rBGH does result in higher IGF-1 which may increase the risk of cancers although the more research would suggest it's certainly less dangerous than some might lead you to believe. Most dairy processors won't take rGBH treated cow milk anyway though so chances are Land O'Lakes isn't either.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:16 AM

7,496 posts, read 7,186,122 times
Google bulletproof coffee so you can get a better understanding of what we're actually talking about here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
If I add this coffee with 500 calories to my day, will I lose weight faster? I'm currently eating about 1200 calories a day and losing only about a pound a week.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:48 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Google bulletproof coffee so you can get a better understanding of what we're actually talking about here.
Most of us here have googled it... we do not understand other than it has a lot of saturated fat and calories and limited vitamins and nutrients. I also read studies that showed that people who drank might have more problematic lipid panels. All in all, not a ringing endorsement.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:53 AM

7,496 posts, read 7,186,122 times
Well if that's all you got out of then I guess that's all you got out of it. However, it is so much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Most of us here have googled it... we do not understand other than it has a lot of saturated fat and calories and limited vitamins and nutrients. I also read studies that showed that people who drank might have more problematic lipid panels. All in all, not a ringing endorsement.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:15 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,161 times
I have no objections to the concept of bullet proof coffee. I know several folks doing keto and it works for them. The bottom line is, calories still matter, even on a keto plan. I do low carb high protein because of the greater level of options for the calories. However, I eat a lot of eggs so I might be doing keto! But with that said, I am not one to drink 500 calories in a small cup for part of my food intake. I could eat 5 eggs and a protein drink for that. If I am going to consume 500 calories, I want it to be 500 calories of "worth it".

Old 06-06-2019, 07:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
I prefer Heavy Cream. It's still butterfat, you can whip it a bit or a lot if you like and make it "frothy" much like they do at Starbucks, a lot cheaper too. btw, I don't think they use real cream at Starbucks. I also like to add a bit a vanilla extract to my coffee/cream. My wife adds cocoa powder and cinnamon as well. As for butter, I really like it, just not in my coffee.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:39 AM

289 posts, read 248,641 times
Quote:
Well if that's all you got out of then I guess that's all you got out of it. However, it is so much more.
Ok movin2Reston, enlighten us then please what PROVEN benefits will drinking this give us

Old 06-06-2019, 10:40 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,585,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I am not prepared, nor qualified, to argue the validity of the ketogenic diet. But it's not the topic of the thread.
The entire point of bulletproof coffee is to fit it in with a ketogenic diet. If a person is not doing keto, bulletproof is pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It seems to be about a high-calorie beverage with few nutrients in excess of the recommended daily allowance of saturated fat. I fail to see the benefits of incorporating this in any diet or how this is relevant to the diet and weight loss forum. If you are trying to lose weight and are limiting yourself to around 1200-1400 calories daily, why would you want to have 500 of those calories be empty calories. My breakfast is not the best, but I at least try to get some vitamins and nutrients in.
It's relevant to weightloss because it is a big part of many peoples ketogenic diet. Unless one consumes for example bacon and eggs for breaksfast, a sufficient amount of fats can be challenging to find in a quick morning meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
If I add this coffee with 500 calories to my day, will I lose weight faster? I'm currently eating about 1200 calories a day and losing only about a pound a week.
No. If you are eating with a normal distribution of fats, carbs and proteins at 1200 cal/day, then adding 500 cal will just be adding 500 calories. If however you are going on a keto, and find yourself at 700 cal and superhungry all the time, then bulletproof is way to keep it keto, stave off some hunger and reach your calorie goal for the day. Nobody has suggested this is magic. It's coffee with fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalmike View Post
Ok movin2Reston, enlighten us then please what PROVEN benefits will drinking this give us
500 calories, high fat content. (meaning you can substitute for example the equal amount that would otherwise be carbs).
The saturated vs unsaturated fats debate can go on forever, but basically make sure to get enough unsaturated, and your saturated will be fine unless you do something extreme.

View bulletproof coffee as a high-coloric tool for shifting the calorie balance towards the fat ratio your keto plan is about. If you are not on keto, then don't even bother with bulletproof coffee. Then you have way more fun options for getting calories, I'm sure. Any type of food is a tool, use the one appropriate for your goals.
Personally when I'm doing keto, I make an avocado based smoothie and 2 boiled eggs, it's a bit more expensive but it gets me the fat I need.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:40 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,017,680 times
My girlfriend swears by bulletproof coffee. She loves it! She's also on a Keto diet, and she continues to lose weight.

Keto is not for me, I'm just not interested. No bulletproof coffee for me thanks (again, I'm not interested).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss