Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 08:20 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,158,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Gee, it turns out that something that sounds very unhealthy and possibly dangerous actually can be unhealthy and dangerous. I'm so not shocked.

The dangerous dark side of intermittent fasting for weight loss

https://nypost.com/2021/01/07/interm...ing-disorders/

As the much-hyped diet plan promoted by the rich and famous of Hollywood and Silicon Valley, intermittent fasting has reached peak popularity in recent years.
But experts fear that the restrictive regimen — a quasi-religion followed by the likes of Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and actresses Jennifer Aniston and Vanessa Hudgens — can be a dangerous cover for an eating disorder.
“It’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing,” registered dietitian Tammy Beasley told The Post. “I wish intermittent fasting had a warning stamped on it.”

“Your body is being starved when intermittent fasting happens,” said Slawsky. “People may develop binge eating disorder or bulimia as a result, leading to all sorts of other physical and psychological problems.”
She added that it can be particularly triggering for vulnerable populations who are already susceptible to disordered eating — and for whom the diet serves as a cover.
“It’s an easy way to explain why you don’t want to go for dinner or consume calories at a party,” Beasley pointed out. “You can time-stamp it with: ‘I’m on an intermittent fast and it’s not my window.’
I believe this can be applied to any diet, can't it? Any diet can be used to control what you do and allow you to opt out of activities or eating. Even CICO dieters can say sorry, I had a big lunch, no more calories today.

I've had binge eating disorder since I was a child, and IF actually helps that. The fast helps regulate cravings. I guess it's stops blood sugar peaks, or maybe insulin. I'm not sure how, I just know that using IF along with drastically reducing sugar intake and eliminating artificial sweeteners (very important for my system) did away with cravings. And the IF is what allows me to drastically reduce sugar intake. Seriously, I have no cravings.

Speaking of sugar, it seems the low carbers and keto people would have it worse, completely eliminating sugar and most carbs.

Ideally, no one would be dieting at all. But with the atrocious quality of our food, 90 percent of us have to make a choice. Diet or be overweight. The CDC says that 75% of American adults are overweight, so it appears 75% of us have chosen not to diet, or we choose a diet that's not effective for us individually. Probably (just guessing) 15% of us choose to change what and how we eat to stay normalweight. And that last 10% can eat whatever they want and stay normalweight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 09:24 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I have been doing 18/6 for quite a while.

I manage to get in 3 meals, it is not a problem. I guess some of it is going 18-hours with no food.........that first meal is gut-incinerated in record time.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:34 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,552,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Re: ADF, I never understand exactly what people are consuming on the days they eat (low-carb, keto, restricted, normal, excessive); can you be specific? And what do you mean by "feast day" (again, specifically)? Thanks, and congratulations!
I am eating low carb. I am eating about my TDEE or just slightly below.

One reason you can't figure it out is because so many people do different things.

For me, eating low carb is mostly due to, after going from zero food to full carb I have a lot of bone aches.

I also do not want my metabolism to trend downward. I suspect that on your "feast day" the day you are not fasting.. the way to avoid your metabolism going down is to fill the stomach and have your body register being full.

I suspect it is this message that you are full which avoids the metabolism going down. But, to be sure, I am taking a break after each week on ADF.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:36 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
I lost about 15 pounds gained on a medication (about what I need to lose - again - thanks to quarantine) many years ago on what was then called "the rotation diet"; eating low calorie/no sugar six days a week, and then pigging out on the seventh. I'm assuming that kept the metabolism up. Looking forward to that treat also kept the morale up!

Old 01-13-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I lost about 15 pounds gained on a medication (about what I need to lose - again - thanks to quarantine) many years ago on what was then called "the rotation diet"; eating low calorie/no sugar six days a week, and then pigging out on the seventh. I'm assuming that kept the metabolism up. Looking forward to that treat also kept the morale up!
Do you remember how low the calories were?

Old 01-13-2021, 09:56 AM

Not super low; just the average "diet" diet. I seem to remember eating a lot of Campbell's Vegetarian Vegetable Soup and tuna salad with saltines... In other words, NOT pigging out EVERY day, which most Americans do now.

Last edited by otterhere; 01-13-2021 at 10:18 AM..

Old 01-13-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Not super low; just the average "diet" diet. In other words, NOT pigging out EVERY day, which most Americans do now.
That's pretty much what I do, but take it a step further with 16:8, just because that does so much to alleviate my cravings. I'm getting older, so usually don't have a treat day every week now, but 2 or 3 times a month I eat homemade cookies, french fries, burritos, pizza, or whatever sounds good that day.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
That's pretty much what I do, but take it a step further with 16:8, just because that does so much to alleviate my cravings. I'm getting older, so usually don't have a treat day every week now, but 2 or 3 times a month I eat homemade cookies, french fries, burritos, pizza, or whatever sounds good that day.
I'm also NOW doing IF; I'm describing what I did years ago. I'm a big believer in fasting!

Old 01-13-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I'm also NOW doing IF; I'm describing what I did years ago. I'm a big believer in fasting!
Understood. Some of the IF/Rotation plans have you eat only 600 calories on the fast day. That sounds a little extreme to me to do every other day. I do that occasionally, maybe once a month.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:45 AM

The most extreme fast is just water; allowing 600 on a fast day is pretty generous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss