Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 05:56 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Biodynamic is different from organic. The grapes have been biodynamically grown, but that does not mean the wine itself is organic. Organic wine is whole other deal and really not one to be bothered with.

I worked at a biodynamic winery for years and the practices are really interesting. It is a wonderful way to farm and it allows for natural yeasts to ferment the wine. Sometimes those yeasts need help. It just depends.

As for the term 'natural wines' it is fairly meaningless. Its a marketing tool. They say they dont add sulphates, but sometimes they do. There are no hard and strict rules about it. Furthermore to confuse consumers even more is that sulphates are not harmful. Only a very small percentage of people are sensitive to them. In fact you probably consume more sulphates than you would ever find in wine that you dont even know about.

Sorry about the rambling, but wine is my line of work and I cannot stand marketing aimed at confusing consumers.
I drink wine socially but white, and not much. But red wine is supposed to have health benefits. However, even a little makes me ill nowadays unless it's organic, so maybe it's the sulphates. Sure makes me sick.

Wine is your line of work? Must be nice. I made a dish today with soy sausage and angel hair pasta. Lots of garlic and onions, and homemade sauce. How can you not have wine with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 06:00 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,397 times
Non fat Greek yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal - usually Grape Nuts - French bread with Laughing Cow cheese, or something chocolate. I pretty much eat chocolate every day, in some form or other.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:55 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I made a dish today with soy sausage and angel hair pasta. Lots of garlic and onions, and homemade sauce. How can you not have wine with that.
Sounds delicious.
I'd have a nice Diet A&W Root Beer with it.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:56 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
I drink wine socially but white, and not much. But red wine is supposed to have health benefits. However, even a little makes me ill nowadays unless it's organic, so maybe it's the sulphates. Sure makes me sick.

Wine is your line of work? Must be nice. I made a dish today with soy sausage and angel hair pasta. Lots of garlic and onions, and homemade sauce. How can you not have wine with that.
If you eat any dried fruits, bagged vegetables, or frozen foods they have sulphates, and more than what would be in wine. Also sulphates naturally occur. If you are allergic to sulpha drugs you would probably already know. It could be the histamines which get a lot of people with red wine.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
If you eat any dried fruits, bagged vegetables, or frozen foods they have sulphates, and more than what would be in wine. Also sulphates naturally occur. If you are allergic to sulpha drugs you would probably already know. It could be the histamines which get a lot of people with red wine.
I am allergic to sulpha drugs, as a matter of fact. Didn't realize that was related to food.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:30 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
I am allergic to sulpha drugs, as a matter of fact. Didn't realize that was related to food.
There you go! Mystery solved.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:00 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Fruit/cracker cheese pack from local grocery
Honey roasted almonds
Think thin or some equivalent 100 calorie bar
String cheese
1 bag staffers animal crackers

All under 200 calories each

Old 10-08-2019, 10:02 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,158,170 times
Quote:
Bags of pre-cut salad greens and cole slaw claim they have no preservatives, but I can taste it. I wonder if they partially rinse it off, just enough to be able to make that claim?

Go-to snacks:

First I drink a mug of a hot beverage like tea or black coffee to make sure I'm really hungry. If I pass that test it's always one of the following 5.

raw almonds
fruit, usually an apple (sates me better than other fruits)
spoonful of peanut butter
raw vegetables like carrots, celery, cucumber, zucchini - no dip
half an avocado

Old 10-08-2019, 10:41 AM

Popcorn and wine is a popular snack, but microwave popcorn is said to have some unpleasant chemical in the bag, and isn't popcorn had if you have gallstones. Anybody know about this?

Old 10-08-2019, 12:55 PM

2,342 posts, read 614,301 times
I snack on grape tomatoes
salted almonds
celery
hard boiled egg occasionally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss