Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 07:59 AM

17,561 posts, read 39,217,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
So your solution to the environmental problem is eliminating animal foods from the diet?

Also, Did you know that the vegan lifestyle that you promote kills far more animals (insects, rodents, mice, and birds) than eating cows. Is a mouse or rodent life not equivalent to a cow's life?

I would also argue that veganism is not healthier alternatives to other diets. MANY people will go protein deficient on a vegan/vegetarian diet

Also, another problem is leucine’s concentration, an essential amino acid necessary for anabolic signaling and muscle growth, is quite low in plant proteins Compared to every other plant protein. beef is higher in every single amino acid (such as white beans, soybeans, peas, and rice. One exception: Tryptophan is higher in soybeans than beef

Bottom Line: You can undoubtedly meet your amino acid needs with plant proteins, you just need to eat a TON (or supplement with protein powder)
Humans need heme iron as well, only found in animal foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 10:36 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,917,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Humans need heme iron as well, only found in animal foods.
Not a bit accurate, I'm afraid. Lots of people have since infancy never eaten any blood products, are perfectly healthy, and look gorgeous. Clean bodies smell nice, too, as opposed to those that consume carcasses and animal products. Lots of legitimate studies from top tier universities, published in peer reviewed journals substantiate the fact that vegans live longer, healthier lives.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:42 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Not a bit accurate, I'm afraid. Lots of people have since infancy never eaten any blood products, are perfectly healthy, and look gorgeous. Clean bodies smell nice, too, as opposed to those that consume carcasses and animal products. Lots of legitimate studies from top tier universities, published in peer reviewed journals substantiate the fact that vegans live longer, healthier lives.
All those studies will tell you that without supplementation a vegan diet is not a healthy diet.

And there you go with your hyperbole - injecting your beliefs onto an argument that is about diet.

Old 01-04-2020, 11:58 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,917,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
All those studies will tell you that without supplementation a vegan diet is not a healthy diet.

And there you go with your hyperbole - injecting your beliefs onto an argument that is about diet.
Right: vegans have to take B12. And not every day but every 4-6 weeks. Is this a big surprise to anyone? It's more like common knowledge. I know because . .oh, well. You don't want to hear that. And you, of course, speak for the thousands of folks who read this forum.

Old 01-04-2020, 02:33 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,048,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

Speaking of hyperbole....

Would you care to link to some of those studies that state categorically and unequivocally that a Vegan diet is unhealthy without supplementation. I'm aware that studies recommend supplements and/or fortified foods to make it easier to ensure that one is getting sufficient amounts of all requisite nutrients, but not studies that categorically state that a Vegan diet is unhealthy on it's own if one doesn't do so. (Although I'm sure that there may be some out there that purport to claim that.)

On second thought, don't bother researching that. Let's just stipulate that you're correct and that Vegans need to take a pill or pills to be healthy. Is that really too much to ask in order to reduce the amount of animal suffering in the world?

I don't know about you, but I would gladly take a vitamin or mineral supplement with my meal if it meant that even one less animal was tortured or killed that day.

Quote:
Right: vegans have to take B12. And not every day but every 4-6 weeks. Is this a big surprise to anyone? It's more like common knowledge. I know because . .oh, well. You don't want to hear that. And you, of course, speak for the thousands of folks who read this forum.
Interestingly, even many meat eaters should take a B12 supplement because studies have shown that roughly 40% of the population is deficient or in the low normal range.

Also, the only reason that meat eaters are getting much B12 from animals in the first place is because most cattle are given B12 as a supplement to increase the B12 in their system. In fact, I've read that 90% of all B12 supplements are given to cattle.

So I'm not really sure why meat eaters single out Vegans about B12. Vegans can easily get a sufficient amount by taking a pill (or a periodic injection) and meat eaters get theirs by eating the flesh of animals who have been given B12 supplements. EIther way, supplementation is involved; it's just that Vegans are cutting out the middleman (or the middle animal, as the case may be ).

Old 01-04-2020, 02:54 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,835,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Would you care to link to some of those studies that state categorically and unequivocally that a Vegan diet is unhealthy without supplementation. I'm aware that studies recommend supplements and/or fortified foods to make it easier to ensure that one is getting sufficient amounts of all requisite nutrients, but not studies that categorically state that a Vegan diet is unhealthy on it's own if one doesn't do so. (Although I'm sure that there may be some out there that purport to claim that.)

On second thought, don't bother researching that. Let's just stipulate that you're correct and that Vegans need to take a pill or pills to be healthy. Is that really too much to ask in order to reduce the amount of animal suffering in the world?

I don't know about you, but I would gladly take a vitamin or mineral supplement with my meal if it meant that even one less animal was tortured or killed that day.

Interestingly, even many meat eaters should take a B12 supplement because studies have shown that roughly 40% of the population is deficient or in the low normal range.

Also, the only reason that meat eaters are getting much B12 from animals in the first place is because most cattle are given B12 as a supplement to increase the B12 in their system. In fact, I've read that 90% of all B12 supplements are given to cattle.

So I'm not really sure why meat eaters single out Vegans about B12. Vegans can easily get a sufficient amount by taking a pill (or a periodic injection) and meat eaters get theirs by eating the flesh of animals who have been given B12 supplements. EIther way, supplementation is involved; it's just that Vegans are cutting out the middleman (or the middle animal, as the case may be ).
Not hyperbole at all. My daughter is a vegan, my good friend has been a vegan for over 30 years, and I managed 6 months as a vegan. The recurring theme is getting B12.
I know there are people with opinions think that is BS. Sounds like you are one of them. It is no skin off my nose if you choose not to supplement. But people who are wanting to try going vegan should be aware of the science.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vitamin-b12-deficiency-can-be-sneaky-harmful-201301105780

https://www.sciencealert.com/keep-an...-ve-gone-vegan

Old 01-04-2020, 03:19 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,413,485 times
Quote:
Actually Gypsychic is correct, the scientific evidence shows that vegans/vegetarians are short on iron.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24871479
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27880062
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14988640
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10201799
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30062867

Old 01-04-2020, 03:39 PM

339 posts, read 171,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
I would not feel comfortable clicking on links from an unknown source, but take care these studies or this research is not sponsored by the meat and dairy industries. This is generally the case in this high stakes game where billions of agra-dollars are at stake. These industries will do anything to keep the dollars rolling in, not excluding blatantly misleading the public.

Public health is not their underlying objective, despite what they want the public to think.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:51 PM

22,674 posts, read 24,663,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Just about the only reason cattle would need a B12 supplement is if their diet is lacking in cobalt. Cattle are ruminants and have the ability to convert dietary-cobalt, in-vivo, into B12. Ruminants can also efficiently absorb the B12 that their body has produced.

Humans do a very poor job of converting dietary-cobalt into B12...............and the B12 that they produce is in an area where nearly none of it is absorbed into the body.

Fish, eggs, beef and offal are loaded with B12. So, if a meat-eater is deficient in B12, they must be eating a pretty poor diet or they have serious absorption issues.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:05 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,413,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalHumanities2020 View Post
I would not feel comfortable clicking on links from an unknown source,
. These are links to Pubmed, a free search engine accessing primarily the MEDLINE database of references and abstracts on life sciences and biomedical topics. These are not unknown links.

Quote:
but take care these studies or this research is not sponsored by the meat and dairy industries. This is generally the case in this high stakes game where billions of agra-dollars are at stake. These industries will do anything to keep the dollars rolling in, not excluding blatantly misleading the public.

Public health is not their underlying objective, despite what they want the public to think.
You are dismissing research without even clicking on the links?

If you’re willing to dismiss research on the grounds of funding source (a bias on its own), then you’d have to be consistent & dismiss most diet/nutrition research in existence, including any beloved reviews/studies that support your own opinions: https://www.nature.com/articles/ijo201432

The scientific evidence I posted is not saying that being vegan/vegetarian is unhealthy. It’s simply showing that vegans can be deficient in iron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss