Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 05:39 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,685 times

Advertisements

Unless you are trying to live on iceberg lettuce or something equally as nutritious, IMHO, protein is last thing you need to worry about. You eat enough calories to stay alive, you get enough protein. Well assuming real food, not factory fake food. Plants contain protein too. Weight lifters and some other atheletes are trying to artificially "bulk up" with excess muscle mass, normal people dont need those type gimmicks.

what people mostly ignore is getting enough unprocessed fats. Though in most grocery stores other than maybe virgin olive oil, there arent lot of those. Heck even lard sold in most grocery stores is hydrogenated. Just as well buy Crisco. I went looking once for real lard for old recipe. Just couldnt find any. Probably have to go to some high end health food store in big city. Who would thought unadulterated rendered pig fat would be so hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 09:10 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Care to post any non biased peer reviewed data that backs up your claim?

I didn't think so.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...135-X/fulltext

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322806.php#1

https://www.sciencealert.com/huge-st...rm?perpetual=y

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2017072712089

Old 11-11-2019, 09:16 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Apparently you were so focused on discrediting the Keto diet that you forgot what I was asking about.

I will repeat it here, this was your claim.

Quote:
More stats show that low carb people quit within months so there is that.
This is about sustainability, not mortality.

That's what your posts are about, mortality. All of those studies that you post are extremely flawed. They are observational studies, NOT controlled studies. They are based on questionnaires. How scientific is that? Answer: Not at all. They also don't answer one very crucial piece of information. What ELSE were they eating and what lifestyle did they lead in general. As far as health goes, I can post a wealth of articles as well that show that the Keto diet is healthier than the SAD, where your beloved food groups are all promoted along with your 6 to 11 servings of grain per day.

So I'm still waiting on the "non biased peer reviewed data" that backs up your claim, which IS, that people on low carb diets quit and cannot sustain the diet. You mention "stats". Where are they?

Old 11-11-2019, 09:36 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You may think low-carb is a fad diet, it isn't at all. Diabetics and pre-diabetics are required to be on a low carb diet and that's been around for decades. It isn't new at all. A low carb diet is required for insulin management.
Isn't there more than just a fine line between the low-carb and keto disciplines? I mean, technically I'm low-carb as well, but not to the point where I'm worrying about the carb content of, say, my steamed vegetables. I definitely enjoy eating my pizza fairly regularly, but eschew bread and related products like the plague.

I think calling keto "low-carb" is unfair, it's militant avoidance of as many carbs as is possible. And I'm not suggesting you're doing that, but I think for the purposes of this debate it's being unfairly viewed as one and the same.

Low-carb is definitely sustainable as a lifestyle choice, I've been doing it for 2.5 years successfully. But I don't consider myself or anything I've done even remotely related to the Keto militia.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:28 AM

The 2 main differences between low carb and keto is that keto is usually 50g a day or less, usually around 20 and also the percentage of fat/protein calories. Typical for keto would be 75% fat and 20% protein for daily calories. I don't fit in the textbook definition of keto. I do lazy keto, I don't track macros at all. I do however totally avoid carby foods, I don't shy away from fatty foods and I probably overdo the protein, in fact I am sure I do. I only do one meal a day most days so not concerned with calories. I also work out at least 4 days a week. I have zero hunger throughout the day. After I work out I may get hungry and have dinner. I have yet to do extended fasts, I just don't need to. I don't really have much weight to lose anymore. It's important to do clean and healthy keto, not dirty keto.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:28 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,685 times
Rule of thumb, keto is under 40 grams carbohydrates per day. Low carb is under 100 grams carbs per day. Though I suspect you can extend low carb to be anything under 200 grams. though counting carbs back to something annoyingly similar to counting calories.

Saying that cause most people eat several multiples of that per day. Modern diet not only carb heavy, most of the calories tend to come from carbs. Bingo floods your body with glucose. Forcing your liver to work overtime converting all that glucose to fat in form of a waistline spare tire. The liver does the heavy lifting dealing with excess glucose, the pancreas producing insulin just fine tunes it. Keto is extreme and people attempting such want their body to go into ketosis producing ketones from stored body fat for body to use for fuel rather than glucose. You do need a minimal amount carb cause some organs like your brain only run on glucose.

Low carb diet as opposed to Keto is not aiming to put your body into ketosis. Just controlling amount glucose your liver has to deal with. There was a big study back in 70s at one of the medical research hospitals. They examined like 5000 corpses of diabetics. 98% had perfectly fine pancreas, but nearly all had non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:51 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
I eat on average 150-160 carbs per day. I eat 1500 calories most days, so it just works out to that. I'm not actively restricting them. My goal is that most of the carbs are sourced from foods that give me a nutritional payoff (particularly fiber) rather than those that don't.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:58 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Isn't there more than just a fine line between the low-carb and keto disciplines? I mean, technically I'm low-carb as well, but not to the point where I'm worrying about the carb content of, say, my steamed vegetables. I definitely enjoy eating my pizza fairly regularly, but eschew bread and related products like the plague.

I think calling keto "low-carb" is unfair, it's militant avoidance of as many carbs as is possible. And I'm not suggesting you're doing that, but I think for the purposes of this debate it's being unfairly viewed as one and the same.

Low-carb is definitely sustainable as a lifestyle choice, I've been doing it for 2.5 years successfully. But I don't consider myself or anything I've done even remotely related to the Keto militia.
Keto is not just a diet, it's eating certain foods to trigger ketosis more. Low carb diet simply restricts carbs but still go through ketosis at a slower pace. Most people with avg bodyfat don't need to be on keto. You can simply eat 2 meals a day by skipping breakfast and doing low carbs. If you want to see faster results you can go on keto diet to speed up fat burning. I see weight fluctuations every day on keto. Overall net loss every other day.

I do think there are foods that we really need to get off until better quality stuff comes out. The reason why people in Europe are not fat while eating breads, pizzas, and pasta because they have higher quality wheat. Non-GMO and use yeast which speeds up weight loss. Italians make pasta with yeast and give it time to rise and use tomato puree and not pizza sauce which has tons of sugar. The breads in Europe uses much better quality wheat on good soil without harmful herbicides due to regulation. Our FDA sucks, people are eating GMO stuff with harmful herbicides that are causing allergies and other problems.

If you use wholesome ingredients you will slowly lose weight without cutting out carbs completely. But in America I don't think you can trust the ingredients used everywhere.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:34 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Keto is not just a diet, it's eating certain foods to trigger ketosis more. Low carb diet simply restricts carbs but still go through ketosis at a slower pace. Most people with avg bodyfat don't need to be on keto. You can simply eat 2 meals a day by skipping breakfast and doing low carbs. If you want to see faster results you can go on keto diet to speed up fat burning. I see weight fluctuations every day on keto. Overall net loss every other day.

I do think there are foods that we really need to get off until better quality stuff comes out. The reason why people in Europe are not fat while eating breads, pizzas, and pasta because they have higher quality wheat. Non-GMO and use yeast which speeds up weight loss. Italians make pasta with yeast and give it time to rise and use tomato puree and not pizza sauce which has tons of sugar. The breads in Europe uses much better quality wheat on good soil without harmful herbicides due to regulation. Our FDA sucks, people are eating GMO stuff with harmful herbicides that are causing allergies and other problems.

If you use wholesome ingredients you will slowly lose weight without cutting out carbs completely. But in America I don't think you can trust the ingredients used everywhere.
Yet another nonsense post full of hysteria.

There's been some contamination of wheat with GM wheat in America but it's relatively small scale so your chances of actually getting any GM wheat in American is shockingly low.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yet another nonsense post full of hysteria.

There's been some contamination of wheat with GM wheat in America but it's relatively small scale so your chances of actually getting any GM wheat in American is shockingly low.
The issue with modern wheat is not GM, it's the processing and chemicals that are added to it.

Most or all of this is done to increase profits, plain and simple. There are other issues with wheat and the health issues it causes and again this for modern wheat. It has been genetically modified in the past. It is now "normal" and not GMO'd in the traditional sense like Corn and Soy.

Quote:
We have mutant seeds, grown in synthetic soil, bathed in chemicals. They're deconstructed, pulverized to fine dust, bleached and chemically treated to create a barren industrial filler that no other creature on the planet will eat. And we wonder why it might be making us sick?
How an ancient food staple became toxic junk food, and what we can do about it (without going gluten-free)

I don't even expect you to read it but if you do you may learn something, same goes for other proponents here. The stuff is poison to a lot of people and they don't even realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss