Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 11:30 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times

Advertisements

I usually have granola Bars, whole grains (THAT AREN'T WHEAT), vegetables, fruits, lean meats, organic cheese, corn wraps, some gluten free bread, lots of water, and occasionally some less healthy food items. I'm a big fan of the high protein bowls that incorporate rice and black beans. I avoid any wheat, soy, and high fructose corn syrup. Even though I consume less calories than most people, I am rarely that hungry usually throughout the day, as foods with actual nutritional value that are generally single ingredient are far more satiating.

Height 5'11'' current weight 155 pounds.

Back in the days when I was consuming wheat (over 10 years ago), I was rarely able to get under 175 pounds with the same routine and activity levels. Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant and causes many many deleterious health effects, avoid like the plague
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 03:00 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,614,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotnguns View Post
6:30 am: 90 - 100 minute workout on Nu Step (1100 calories)

Breakfast: 6 cliff bars, each heated for 1 min in microwave (about 1550 calories)

11 am or thereabouts: 90 -100 min workout on nu step (1100 calories)

Lunch: 1 pound extra lean ground turkey, 3 pounds frozen veg, 1 can progresso soup (light), diced onion or 2 cans sliced water chestnuts, yellow mustard, lots of siracha sauce, balsamic vinegar, 1/2 bottle sugar free coconut Torani syrup (cheap from Smartfoods), 1 can diet cream soda, and 25 drops liquid sucralose all boiled up and simmered together (1100 calories)

Dinner: 1 pound frozen strawberries, 2 pounds frozen peaches, three cans diet cream soda, 3/4 bottle of sugar free torani vanilla syrup (can be bought cheap at SmartFoods), 45 drops liquid sucralose, freeze for 30 min. (500 calories)

66 y/o male, 5' 11" , 153 pounds. Generally, quite active between workouts.

Warning - I'm a dripping mess after these workouts, but that's when I listen to news and binge watch fave shows.
Interesting.

Why so many calories after the work outs? And why two workouts? Seems like you could eat less and cut the cardio to 60 minutes total for the day.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:45 AM

903 posts, read 664,089 times
We do 2 meals a day. Lunch and dinner.

Lunch 4-6 oz protein (shrimp, chicken, or steak) 2 cups of veggies and a small piece of fruit
Dinner-pretty much the same. When it is cooler we do soup or chili. After dinner if hungry snack on a handful of cashews or pistachios.

Now that it is warm out we tend to grill 3-4 types of meat and eat it during the week.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I usually have granola Bars, whole grains (THAT AREN'T WHEAT), vegetables, fruits, lean meats, organic cheese, corn wraps, some gluten free bread, lots of water, and occasionally some less healthy food items. I'm a big fan of the high protein bowls that incorporate rice and black beans. I avoid any wheat, soy, and high fructose corn syrup. Even though I consume less calories than most people, I am rarely that hungry usually throughout the day, as foods with actual nutritional value that are generally single ingredient are far more satiating.

Height 5'11'' current weight 155 pounds.

Back in the days when I was consuming wheat (over 10 years ago), I was rarely able to get under 175 pounds with the same routine and activity levels. Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant and causes many many deleterious health effects, avoid like the plague
Unless your granola bars are made of raw nuts and seeds, most granola is made of oats and barley which are loaded with carbs. There's no benefit to eating gluten free bread, since there's some gluten in there. Just don't eat bread much. I only eat bread maybe 1-2 a week. Careful with the beans, if it's not steamed or slow cooked to be soft it's loaded with lectins which has he same properties as gluten which can cause long term auto-immune diseases.

Wheat + soy should be avoided because they are usually gmo, spikes blood sugar, and packed with carbs.

Just by eliminating wheat, soy, dairy from most diets people will lose weight.

Old 06-21-2021, 05:26 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Careful with the beans, if it's not steamed or slow cooked to be soft it's loaded with lectins which has he same properties as gluten which can cause long term auto-immune diseases.

The forked tongue speaketh again. Who the hell eats raw beans anyway?

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...d-eating-them/

Lectins are naturally occurring proteins that are found in most plants. Some foods that contain higher amounts of lectins include beans, peanuts, lentils, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, fruits, and wheat and other grains. Lectins serve a protective function for plants as they grow. They don't have any nutritional value when consumed in foods.
Some research seems to indicate that taking in large quantities of raw lectins could have negative health effects. The amount you’d need to consume each day to get to that level, however, is much higher than a typical diet would include. And studies have shown that lectins break down when processed or cooked, so the risk of adverse health effects arising from lectin-rich foods that aren’t raw is not cause for concern.
In addition, most foods that contain lectins are recommended as part of a healthy, well-balanced diet. There’s a well-established body of scientific evidence that clearly supports the benefits of a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains. The health benefits you receive from including those foods in your diet outweigh any perceived benefits from avoiding foods with lectins. With that in mind, a diet that avoids lectins is not one most dietitians would typically recommend.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:00 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,059 times
I do intermittent fasting so I don't eat breakfast.

Meal 1: Whole wheat toast with Peanut Butter. 1 small nectarine. Activia Yogurt. Green tea. 2 lemon cookies

Meal 2: leftover Greek Lemon Chicken, roasted potatoes and asparagus. Green tea. 3 vanilla wafers and a handful of flavored popcorn. Water.

Other lunch meals include turkey on wheat bread work mustard and pickles. 6 garlic or tzatziki triscuits, a small apple, pear, or applesauce.

Always an activia yogurt every day and at least 1 fruit.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Unless your granola bars are made of raw nuts and seeds, most granola is made of oats and barley which are loaded with carbs. There's no benefit to eating gluten free bread, since there's some gluten in there. Just don't eat bread much. I only eat bread maybe 1-2 a week. Careful with the beans, if it's not steamed or slow cooked to be soft it's loaded with lectins which has he same properties as gluten which can cause long term auto-immune diseases.

Wheat + soy should be avoided because they are usually gmo, spikes blood sugar, and packed with carbs.

Just by eliminating wheat, soy, dairy from most diets people will lose weight.
I stated that I only buy Kind brand Granola Bars as they are inherently gluten free. The ingredient list for those are (Honey Oat): Oats, cane sugar, brown rice flour, canola oil, gum acacia, water, honey, raisin paste, oat flour, millet, buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, cinnamon, natural flavor, sea salt, and Vitamin E (to maintain freshness).

I'll have maybe one slice of gluten free seven grain bread with peanut butter a day. Gluten free bread is basically a junk food item, it just doesn't have the appetite stimulating properties of modern wheat.

Black beans are found in some of the high protein bowls I like having for lunch since I can't have high carbohydrate meals in the middle of the day as I work from home on my laptop all afternoon.

Cheese- I only eat organic cheese, the difference is quite apparent, rbst free is better.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:25 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
I stated that I only buy Kind brand Granola Bars as they are inherently gluten free. The ingredient list for those are (Honey Oat): Oats, cane sugar, brown rice flour, canola oil, gum acacia, water, honey, raisin paste, oat flour, millet, buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa, cinnamon, natural flavor, sea salt, and Vitamin E (to maintain freshness).

I'll have maybe one slice of gluten free seven grain bread with peanut butter a day. Gluten free bread is basically a junk food item, it just doesn't have the appetite stimulating properties of modern wheat.

Black beans are found in some of the high protein bowls I like having for lunch since I can't have high carbohydrate meals in the middle of the day as I work from home on my laptop all afternoon.

Cheese- I only eat organic cheese, the difference is quite apparent, rbst free is better.
You have no way of knowing whether or not the label saying it's rBST-free is true. The FDA puts no value on the label and a few states don't even allow it to be used. There is no chemical or atomic difference between the rBST that is given to the cow, and the BST that the cow produces naturally. The milk you buy, when tested, shows no increase in levels of BST from cows given rBST, with levels of BST in cows that were not given rBST.

The only thing "better" about rBST is that the milk company gets to profit more by telling you they don't use it.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You have no way of knowing whether or not the label saying it's rBST-free is true. The FDA puts no value on the label and a few states don't even allow it to be used. There is no chemical or atomic difference between the rBST that is given to the cow, and the BST that the cow produces naturally. The milk you buy, when tested, shows no increase in levels of BST from cows given rBST, with levels of BST in cows that were not given rBST.

The only thing "better" about rBST is that the milk company gets to profit more by telling you they don't use it.
Mostly the case, a good reason to consume other protein sources that don't include any type of dairy. There are plenty of great alternatives right now.

Old 06-25-2021, 03:06 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Mostly the case, a good reason to consume other protein sources that don't include any type of dairy. There are plenty of great alternatives right now.
I don't drink milk. I do find it necessary if I want my morning cup of cappuchino. 1% froths the best, so that's what I use.

I also eat cheese. Usually from cow milk, sometimes sheep's milk. I don't eat it for the protein. I eat it for the taste. I LIKE cheese. I prefer meat for protein. Including cow, chicken, fish. And I don't believe in deprivation diets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss