Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 01:35 PM

2,235 posts, read 2,408,439 times

Advertisements

Yup. I think it's just more efficient to lift weights and not do tons of cardio. Sprints are good, but spending over an hour on the treadmill is inefficient. I've noticed that when I concentrate on weight lifting, my stomach stays flatter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 01:47 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Yup. I think it's just more efficient to lift weights and not do tons of cardio. Sprints are good, but spending over an hour on the treadmill is inefficient. I've noticed that when I concentrate on weight lifting, my stomach stays flatter...
Only 75 minutes of vigorous cardiovascular activity is needed weekly or 150 of moderate activity. I do a lot of walking outside because I like it, but I also do activities with weights, resistance bands, etc. I think I was in the best shape when I was doing a combination of bicycling and power yoga, neither of which are particularly high intensity.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:11 AM

26 posts, read 24,956 times
I am trying to walk around my neighborhood at least every other day...I am not on my feet AS much as I used to be in the job I started less than a year ago....gained a little weight.

I hope this will help.

Old 02-27-2021, 01:59 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,642,248 times
Hahahaha what a bunch of nonsense! Yeah, let’s go ahead and throw out both common sense and thousands of peer reviewed research because some moron can’t be bothered to do his homework. This is hilarious! High intensity training directly boosts your metabolism so that you burn more calories even at rest, and so does muscle mass. I haven’t even done a half-way decent job of limiting my drinking nights this year after getting the Bartesian cocktail machine, but I’ve worked out hardcore 6 days a week cardio and weights (5 days), I’m down 8 pounds already. Most people who focus just on diet have to be religious about it. I’ve done both, and diet is important but doesn’t work well by itself. The only key as a guy to eating virtually whatever you want and still being in perfect shape is to lift heavy weight and do intense cardio. No long cardio sessions, no messing around with 15 reps every set. HEAVY weight and short duration all-out cardio.

PS: My immune system isn’t suffering, I got Coronasniffles and recovered in 3 days with nothing more than extreme fatigue, headaches, 5 hours of nausea, and some body aches. It was like a moderate cold and nothing as bad as a flu. Immune system worked as intended!

Old 03-02-2021, 02:52 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,105,333 times
I personally lose weight if I use my stair stepper regularily. Losing weight is all about creating a calorie deficit.

If you take in 2000 calories and only burn 1900, not going to lose weight.

If you lose an extra 200 calories exercising, you should start losing weight.

Try to exercise every day(walking/lifting weights), if not , 1 or 2 times a week is still beneficial, and not just for weight loss.
Ideally you want to mix in 1 or 2 days a week of HIIT(High intensity interval training). 15 seconds fast, 45 seconds slow. Then move up to 30 sec fast, 30 slow. You only need to do HIIT for 15 minutes, it is more exhausting though.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:56 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,681,095 times
Exercise keeps you healthy in body, mind, and spirit. Even if it didn't cause weight loss -- which I believe it does.

But truly, you cannot out-run your fork.

But without exercise, one could be a slender, weak, flabby blob.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:10 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,556,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
I personally lose weight if I use my stair stepper regularily. Losing weight is all about creating a calorie deficit.
Oh is that why obesity has never been worse?

That CICO advice is as ancient as the Romans and just about as accurate as cholesterol as the reason for heart attacks.

Weight loss is a hormonal disease which is a zillion times more complex than people try to say, and the proof? The entire world has never been fatter with a gym on every corner.

Face it, your judgy calories in - calories out, doesn't work! And now we find out that exercise doesn't even increase the amount of calories you burn in a day? Well well well, the conspiracy is unraveling now. Soon we will all back back to normal weight and then who will you Judge and give poor advice to?

Old 03-02-2021, 03:38 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

That CICO advice is as ancient as the Romans and just about as accurate as cholesterol as the reason for heart attacks.

Weight loss is a hormonal disease which is a zillion times more complex than people try to say, and the proof? The entire world has never been fatter with a gym on every corner.

Face it, your judgy calories in - calories out, doesn't work! And now we find out that exercise doesn't even increase the amount of calories you burn in a day? Well well well, the conspiracy is unraveling now. Soon we will all back back to normal weight and then who will you Judge and give poor advice to?
CICO and exercise worked for me. I get what you are saying with obesity out of control, but advocating for no exercise is stupid.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:53 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:

Well, let's start with how many calories you eat per day, and your exercise routine.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-04-2021, 09:04 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:

People want to make it black and white. CICO is pretty hard to argue with. What gets missed is that over time the CO portion of the equation will change even (especially) if the activity remains exactly the same. And, the human body has been conditioned to recognize "calories not so much lately...crops must have failed, the mammoth population has had a virus run through it, or a drought has ruined the fishing..." which is to say that things are likely to be lean for a long time. THe body doesn't recognize that you're doing it to yourself.

I know that personally I lost a lot of weight when I was consumed one spring building a chicken coop from scratch/scavenged wood in my afterwork hours. I know that I gain weight if I go two weeks without walking the dogs. I know that I gained weight after switching from a job where I was on my feet and walking around a lot, (not strenuous by any stretch) to one sitting at a desk 8 hours a day. Sitting at a desk my body didn't "pay" any consequences for being sedentary (short term.)

The human body adjusts to what's being asked of it.

*Most* people aren't going to go through a marathon training program and come out heavier on the other side. That isn't just the beer gut; big glutes and muscles become added weight to haul around too.

Conversely, if you decide to make it a goal to deadlift 600 lbs and squat 500 lbs and bench 350 lbs, you will gain weight, both fat and muscle. A bit of a fleshy beer gut isn't going to hurt in your pursuit to move that kind of weight.

More gyms aren't the product of a conspiracy, or a lie, and the article doesn't prove that they're useless. Human bodies adapt to what's being asked of them. Gyms allow an avenue for you to ask more. If you simply ask it to do 45 minutes on a treadmill, that's not a big ask.

Your body can adapt to that without changing. You might burn a good number of calories on it at first but you will very quickly become efficient at executing that challenge and your body probably doesn't need to change much to keep it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss