Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,298 times

Advertisements

cardio is getting your heart rate 40-80% over your baseline resting heartrate(HR) for 20-30 min in a row. or longer. running, aerobics....
when the bodys HR is high enough you burn more calories than you ingest. therefore the fat is burned. fat is burned first, then muscle.....so the trick is burn the fat, build the muscle.

weight training is used to create a larger mass of muscle on your body. by using our muscles we burn calories, (fat first)...this is why some will "beef up" the mussle mass.
the more muscle you have the more calories the body burns at rest.

>People who prefer the high protein, low carb diet gain another advantage
all they comsume is being spent (calories burned).

if more calories ( usually carbohydrates: chips, soda, fast food, bread, rice, potatoes...)
are ingested and few are spent(sedentary lifestyle[no excersize]) then the body stores the calories as fat. which usually ends up being stores around the middle of the body.

This excess storage of fat is a risk factor for many life-shortening ailments... heart disease, diabetes, stroke high blood pressure...heart attack, and much more....

Nay RN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 02:15 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
You can do it, run or walk briskly for about 20 minutes a day..

You have to be motivated.. trust me, Im not at all but I plan on getting there. Im packing on weight in that area also. Kinda gross when your a chic!
actually its a turn on for me when a girl has some of it,not too much but some.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:15 PM

26 posts, read 121,152 times
Default this worked for me

Yes, I agree- CARDIO.

Depending on how motivated you are, I would do cardio at least 45 minutes a day, at least 3x a week. When you do cardio, you usually lose around the middle first. The elliptical is great because it works out many different parts of your body, resulting in an overall leaner look, and of course less bulge in the middle. On top of that, I would do stomach excercises too. You can't just do normal crunches all the time though, try to mix it up. For example, normal crunches one day, then bike crunches, then a different form of stomach excercise the next. Your body needs to be challanged in order to keep losing the extra pounds. I would try to do the stomach excercises everyday, since its less high maintenance then going to the gym or going for a run. If not, at least 3x a week as well.

You definitely have to watch what you eat as well. You dont necessarily have to get rid of the "guilty food". Just watch your proportions. If you're really determined, what I do is eat healthy food Monday- Friday. I work full time, so for lunch, I usually buy those ready-made healthy meals. Its definitely not the best food in the world, but its not bad either. And as time goes by, your body should get used to the smaller proportions. If you're used to eating a lot, then yes, your body will be asking for more after these meals, but I usually just try to drink fluids to make me feel full. I drink Lipton Green Tea everyday. It has the benefits of regular green tea, which actually promotes weight loss, but doesnt have the awkward taste. Then I spoil myself on the weekends, but i don't splurge too much. This way, I'm not totally deprived.

I gained "happy weight", 20pounds, after getting engaged and getting married. Most of this extra weight was in my stomach, hips and thighs. I was determined to get my body back, and its been working so far. I've lost 13 pounds in less than 3 months. I went from size 9 pants to being able to fit a 5 again. I did use hydroxycut to help me out in the beginning though to give me a head start. I still follow the same eating and excercise regimine, but I'm no longer taking the pills since I'm comfortable with my routine and I feel that I dont need to take it to help me anymore. If you want to get a head start, you might want to try taking it as well. i do have to warn you, everybodys different and everybody reacts differently to diet pills, so it may not be for you, but you never know until you try, right? Well, good luck on this and hopefully it'll work for you too!

Old 08-15-2008, 10:31 PM

26 posts, read 121,152 times
Oh..and I forgot to mention WEIGHT TRAINING. It is true- the more muscle you have, the more calories you're able to burn faster. So def weight training along with the cardio.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:33 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Real simple. Do something beside sitting on your tookas with the guitar. ;P

If you have been thin all your life I am sure you will get what you want just by going for a run 30 min on the weekends (1-2X) and 30 minute walks after dinner daily.

Taking into consideration that you dont eat more food than you are now.

Simple diet:
less refined breads
less sugar
more veggies

I really prefer keeping it simple/easy.
You burn more fat on low intensity than high intensity anyway.

A simple way to know cardio - it should at least make you dewy & gets your heart rate up. Thats light cardio. Like walking. Running and other intense things..obvious cardio with the heart pounding and sweat buckets.

Another thing you could do is get a stationary bike.
Hop on that for 10 min 3x/day going as fast as you can.
(minimum)

Old 08-20-2008, 03:30 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
ok........I have always been slim.Most of my life I was a 28 to 32 inch waist.

Now I hover at 33 to 34 but getting tight.I don't have a stomach but on the sides of my waist and around the back I am getting a spare tire.

So what's the best way to burn off flab on the sides and around the back of your waist?
I know how you feel. Even at my worst, my waist never went above 32 inches. Now I'm at 30. At my leanest, I was a 28. But no matter what, I always had a little side fat that just wouldn't go away. But I'll just repeat what everyone else here has said. Cardio, cardio and cardio. But eating really, REALLY clean is probably even more important. The less fat you have, the more your body will want to hold onto it. And if you're like me and have a small frame, you could still have a bit of a spare tire. It's frustrating, but you just have to keep pushing yourself. When I was at my leanest, I was doing 60 minutes of cardio every morning, doing HIIT 30 mintues 3 evenings and eating an incredibly strict diet. It was hard to stick with, which is why my weight went back up and my waist came back to 30.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,435 times
There are ways to exercise at work as well.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:17 PM

5 posts, read 12,200 times
The prison workout (20 descending sets of burpees), alternating with some form of cardio the next day.
Plus increase your water intake and that tire will deflate itself in a matter of weeks.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:08 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
then I guess I'm doomed because after working all day when I get home I want to play guitar.20minutes this 60minutes that everyday...........my whole life would be work/sleep/exercise.

I work 8 hour + 2 on the road to go to work and back home.I'm not exercising every day for 2 hours afterthat.
Well then you will have a nice belly to rest your guitar on !

Old 10-05-2008, 06:51 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
I used to wear 36 inch pants. After roadbiking 5030 miles of workouts, I can now fit into a 25 to 26 inch waist skirt! - Because pants don't go as low as 25 to 26 inch waist, unless they're boy's sizes. So I guess I gotta wear a skirt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss