Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 08:01 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times

Advertisements

Somewhere in this thread I've posted, but at 11 pages I just don't feel like checking to see what I posted.

So here's another post with my views on pizza:

Pizza is best New York/New Haven/Boston/New Jersey style, with bacon.

Alternatively, New Haven pizza with cheese, clams, and garlic, oregano and a drizzle of olive oil, no sauce. (aka white clam pizza).

If one absolutely must have pizza in an area where none of these options exist, and the supermarket is the optimal source, I'd go with a DiGiorno's 4-cheese. Begrudgingly. It is tolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2024, 02:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I guarantee you, if you eat thousands of calories of just cheese or meat, you won't lose weight.
You would be constipated.

Old 01-15-2024, 03:00 PM

163 posts, read 95,852 times
White cheese pizza made with Ricotta, fresh garlic and basil. Bonus points for mushrooms (ummm...I'm thinking....porcini or truffle).

Old 01-16-2024, 01:48 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Do show the studies that prove your assertions. Many studies have tried to prove it, only to discover it doesn't work except in very short term. After a few weeks, your body reacts to the reduced calories and slows your metabolism.

In the natural environment in which humans evolved, where finding food can be hard, losing weight can kill you. So our bodies are sensitive to a drop in calories, and use them more efficiently by reducing metabolism.
I've lost almost 70lbs over the last year (steadily 3-5lbs a month) mostly thanks to using the "CICO" method. I don't even track my calories strictly, I just made reductions and substitutions for lower-calorie & lower-sugar food items. But for the most part, I still eat what I want - including PIZZA, fried chicken, even the occasional sugary treat like cookies or ice cream. So that's really all the proof I need! Certainly didn't stop working after a few weeks, as you're claiming.

But sure, I'll share any relevant articles I can dig up for you. Sorry, been distracted with more important matters since I last visited this thread.

Old 01-16-2024, 01:52 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I guarantee you, if you eat thousands of calories of just cheese or meat, you won't lose weight.
Not necessarily true. If those "thousands of calories" are still a reduction from your previous intake, and/or below your resting metabolic rates, then yes - you can lose weight on that "diet." Again, it's more about the caloric input vs output than WHAT you're eating. You might have GI upset, or heart problems after a time, but in terms of strict weight loss the source of those calories aren't as important. If I was a 350lb man, who started a diet of 1200cal/day of strictly pizza, you don't think I would lose any weight?

As I mentioned, I've lost almost 70lbs over the last year by simply reducing calories and sugar. I still eat a fair amount of dairy + meat (poultry), and do pizza about once a week. I even have fried chicken sometimes.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:03 PM

945 posts, read 563,802 times
No food is unhealthy in moderation.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:10 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletraveller View Post
No food is unhealthy in moderation.
I must disagree.

Somehow my body has changed in the last ten years, today if I eat wheat, potatoes, or rice then I would need to start on diabetes drugs, and start the insulin-resistance dance.

Ten years ago, I was fine eating wheat, potatoes and rice. But not today.

Perhaps we should slide over to a discussion of 'moderation'. Is one slice of bread per week a reasonable limit? How about one-half slice of bread, does that fit within the context of 'moderation'?

When you say 'moderation'. I feel that most people would hear that and think they could eat one slice of pizza a week, and still be within reasonable moderation until they show up diabetic.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:40 PM

945 posts, read 563,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I must disagree.

Somehow my body has changed in the last ten years, today if I eat wheat, potatoes, or rice then I would need to start on diabetes drugs, and start the insulin-resistance dance.

Ten years ago, I was fine eating wheat, potatoes and rice. But not today.

Perhaps we should slide over to a discussion of 'moderation'. Is one slice of bread per week a reasonable limit? How about one-half slice of bread, does that fit within the context of 'moderation'?

When you say 'moderation'. I feel that most people would hear that and think they could eat one slice of pizza a week, and still be within reasonable moderation until they show up diabetic.
No. I won't debate moderation. That is like asking "how long is a piece of string?"

Nobody ever became diabetic because they had the odd slice of pizza. If they did, their health was crap for a laundry list of other reasons and I'm willing to bet they never sought out a gym membership.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:52 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,542,319 times
oh pizza, the best food in theworld! who cares about calories and carbos!. So yummy!

Old 01-16-2024, 03:04 PM

256 posts, read 114,314 times
The medium size pizza I ate last night, was for medicinal purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss