Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2023, 09:04 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times

Advertisements

Pizza is not bad if a person just eats 1 or 2 slices. Eating a whole pie is where people get into trouble. The culture of pizza eating needs to be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 09:21 AM

310 posts, read 322,896 times
Depends on the type of pizza and the toppings. A thin crust topped with veggies is a good option. A chain pizza joint pepperoni is a bad choice.
Generally pizza can be a great option if you stick to small locally owned pizza places that use fresh ingredients. Chain pizza restaurants are simply not a great option for diet or health.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I don't see any problem with eating a whole small pizza, or even half of a big one. It's how often, and what kind of toppings and crust. We will eat half (2-3 more slices each of our favorite, the "Puget Pounder" then the rest another day. It has Pepperoni, Canadian Bacon, Italian Sausage, Mushroom, Black Olives. None of those are good for us, but we might only do that once every 2-3 months. On the other hand, we might get a thin crust pizza with Mushroom, Green Pepper, Red Onion, Tomato, Black Olive and eat the whole thing. Much less carbs and fat. Life is too short not to enjoy it, and a big part of that is pizza. Now I feel like some tonight, so I'm ordering one with a thin crust but Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, Black Olives, Cheddar, Herb & Cheese Blend, Mozzarella, and Red Sauce.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:27 AM

927 posts, read 757,826 times
In South Florida the worst pizza is right next to the Margaritaville sound stage and the line is a mile long. The best pizza is at Clematis pizza in downtown West Palm beach. It was a white sauce pizza that was a special order but they put it out as slices that day.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:58 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Pizza is just a food, it's not good or bad. Like you say, if you're downing a whole large pizza on the regular, that's probably not the best dietary choice, but pizza can absolutely be part of a generally healthy diet with lots of variety.

Old 05-09-2023, 10:40 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Pizza's not bad if you don't eat the crust.

--low carber

Old 05-09-2023, 10:45 AM

7,236 posts, read 5,114,062 times
When I order a whole pizza for myself, I have them cut it ihto 8 pieces because I can't eat 12 pieces. That would be too much.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:09 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
When I order a whole pizza for myself, I have them cut it ihto 8 pieces because I can't eat 12 pieces. That would be too much.

Yeah, depends on how hungry you are that day. If you're REALLY hungry, ask them to cut the pizza into 12 pieces. If you're not so hungry, they can cut it into 8 pieces.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:12 PM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I don't see any problem with eating a whole small pizza, or even half of a big one. It's how often, and what kind of toppings and crust. We will eat half (2-3 more slices each of our favorite, the "Puget Pounder" then the rest another day. It has Pepperoni, Canadian Bacon, Italian Sausage, Mushroom, Black Olives. None of those are good for us, but we might only do that once every 2-3 months. On the other hand, we might get a thin crust pizza with Mushroom, Green Pepper, Red Onion, Tomato, Black Olive and eat the whole thing. Much less carbs and fat. Life is too short not to enjoy it, and a big part of that is pizza. Now I feel like some tonight, so I'm ordering one with a thin crust but Pepperoni, Italian Sausage, Mushrooms, Black Olives, Cheddar, Herb & Cheese Blend, Mozzarella, and Red Sauce.
Yup.

The average pizza is white bread, minimal tomato paste, lots of cheese (nothing wrong with cheese in moderation but it's more than moderation), processed meat, pepperoni, ham, italian sausage are not healthful meats, minimal vegetables. Like anything, you can have stuff that's bad for you in moderation and it won't really impact you too much. On the other hand if you're alternating between fast food, "chinese" takeout, pizza, and frozen hotpockets and corndogs....yeah.

I usually stick to 1-2 slices and just get slices. There's a couple places around here with good slices. At around 500 calories a slice, I'll usually just do one slice for lunch rather than loading up unhealthy calories. Tastes really good, and as long as that's your sort of junk food intake in an otherwise clean diet you could certainly do a slice for lunch several times a week and it would fit into an overall balanced diet.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Pizza's not bad if you don't eat the crust.

--low carber
Have you tried pizza made with Fat Head dough? It's a low carb dough made with mozzarella, cream cheese an egg and almond flour. It's tasty and won't leave you with a carb bloat afterwards.

Here's the recipe I use - https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-pizza/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss