Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 10:49 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times

Advertisements

As it turns out I work and live at a resort Hotel. They're shorthanded in the kitchen so 2 out of 3 days I've had to order a small pizza. Today was chicken and barbecue sauce, so at least it was a little different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 03:57 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Have you tried pizza made with Fat Head dough? It's a low carb dough made with mozzarella, cream cheese an egg and almond flour. It's tasty and won't leave you with a carb bloat afterwards.

Here's the recipe I use - https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/fat-head-pizza/
Thanks for the FYI on Fat Hard Dough and Keto dough.

Cool thread, too.

Old 05-12-2023, 11:29 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I try to stick to two pieces or less when I eat pizza. I get what I want in moderation. Next meal I try to go back to something healthier. I find feeding the craving sometimes helps it go away. I've cut most of the bread out of my diet so if I have a little bit in pizza, I don't worry about it.

Old 05-12-2023, 02:37 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Thinking about this, pizza offends nearly every healthy eating plan.

Low fat eaters don't want the cheese.
The processed meats don't fit with whole foods eating.
The crust is rarely low carb.

But how exciting is some shredded chicken and bell peppers?

Old 05-12-2023, 03:12 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
and then there's the dreaded Chicago Stuffed Pizza, probably coming in at 2,000 calories per slice, nom nom nom, lol

Old 05-13-2023, 08:02 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Thinking about this, pizza offends nearly every healthy eating plan.

Low fat eaters don't want the cheese.
The processed meats don't fit with whole foods eating.
The crust is rarely low carb.

But how exciting is some shredded chicken and bell peppers?
The healthiest eating plan is basically - all things in moderation. Enjoy your green leafy veggies, and baked potatoes, and fresh fruits, cruciferous veggies, and then enjoy some nuts, some lean proteins, a bit of whole grains, and yes - once in awhile, have an ice cream cone, and a slice of pizza. Enjoy a hotdog every once in awhile. If you're celebrating your anniversary, share a slice of cake with your significant other.

If you are already healthy, have no food allergies or diagnosed medical conditions that prevent you from being allowed to eat specific foods, then there is no food that you can't/shouldn't eat. As long as you eat it in moderation.

Old 05-14-2023, 07:56 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I have worked in two pizza parlors stateside, then years later I was stationed in Naploi where I have eaten Italian pizza in a tratoria that has been serving pizza since 1840s.

Pizza Margherita is their famous recipe, invented in the 1880s.

In June 1889, the great great grandfather invented "pizza Margherita" in honor of the Queen of Italy, Margherita of Savoy, and Italian unification, since toppings are tomato (red), mozzarella (white), and basil (green), ingredients inspired by the colors of the national flag of Italy.

Our culture has Americanized pizza, into something that no longer resembles Italian pizza.

In Italian dishes, say if you are going to have pepperoni, or smoke ham on a pizza those meats will be chopped into 1/4" by 1/4" little cubes, that are lightly sprinkled on the pizza, as flavoring. If you were served a pepperoni pizza, there would never be enough pepperoni to make up any calories, and certainly not enough to form puddles of lard floating on top of the pizza.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:12 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have worked in two pizza parlors stateside, then years later I was stationed in Naploi where I have eaten Italian pizza in a tratoria that has been serving pizza since 1840s.

Pizza Margherita is their famous recipe, invented in the 1880s.

In June 1889, the great great grandfather invented "pizza Margherita" in honor of the Queen of Italy, Margherita of Savoy, and Italian unification, since toppings are tomato (red), mozzarella (white), and basil (green), ingredients inspired by the colors of the national flag of Italy.

Our culture has Americanized pizza, into something that no longer resembles Italian pizza.

In Italian dishes, say if you are going to have pepperoni, or smoke ham on a pizza those meats will be chopped into 1/4" by 1/4" little cubes, that are lightly sprinkled on the pizza, as flavoring. If you were served a pepperoni pizza, there would never be enough pepperoni to make up any calories, and certainly not enough to form puddles of lard floating on top of the pizza.
We didn't eat pizza when I was a kid, but my nonna would sometimes make focaccia, reputedly the forerunner of pizza. It was bread about an inch thick; some was topped with a thin layer of tomato sauce and a few sliced black olives. Another version had raisins and was slightly sweet.

Nonna was from Northern Italy; the food is remarkably different from that of Southern Italy, which seems to be the most common style of "Italian" food here in America.

In fact, each region of Italy has its own cooking style and favorite ingredients.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:22 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
When I order a whole pizza for myself, I have them cut it ihto 8 pieces because I can't eat 12 pieces. That would be too much.

Aaaaaaah, the classic Yogi solution!

Old 05-19-2023, 11:15 AM

313 posts, read 255,463 times
Everything is ok if enjoyed in moderation. Labeling foods as good and bad is diet culture at it's finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss