Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 09:43 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,496,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Um, yeah, I said I was talking from a low carb viewpoint.
Fats and calories don't prevent weight loss when you're doing low carb.
I guarantee you, if you eat thousands of calories of just cheese or meat, you won't lose weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 10:12 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I guarantee you, if you eat thousands of calories of just cheese or meat, you won't lose weight.
You're catastrophizing.

And technically, two thousand calories of cheese and meat could be considered a normal caloric consumption. If you don't eat the carbs, too.

Since fat and protein are better than carbs at satisfying hunger long term, you're less likely to overeat by thousands of calories.

Last edited by steiconi; 01-02-2024 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-02-2024, 03:54 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,496,434 times
Quote:
You're catastrophizing.

And technically, two thousand calories of cheese and meat could be considered a normal caloric consumption. If you don't eat the carbs, too.

Since fat and protein are better than carbs at satisfying hunger long term, you're less likely to overeat by thousands of calories.
If you're a 40 year old man, 6 foot tall, 165 lbs, and have the average activity level of an American male that age, then yes 2,000 calories is maintenance.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:40 PM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Um, yeah, I said I was talking from a low carb viewpoint.
Fats and calories don't prevent weight loss when you're doing low carb.
Haha what? That's... just not scientifically true. Do you think non-carb calories count less than carb calories?

Look up the concept of CICO: Calories in, Calories out. It doesn't really matter how you're getting those calories, if your only goal is losing weight.

Quote:

That's not what you said initially. You said fats and calories don't prevent weight loss, which makes very little sense.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:13 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Haha what? That's... just not scientifically true. Do you think non-carb calories count less than carb calories?
It may help in the future if you were to attempt being slightly less insulting.

In my case, carbs and/or the absence of carbs make a HUGE difference. For some unknown reason, my body has decided to become diabetic. To avoid diabetes without the use of drugs that drive 'insulin resistance' I have had to learn to avoid potatoes, rice and wheat from my diet.

It is NOT all about calories.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Look up the concept of CICO: Calories in, Calories out. It doesn't really matter how you're getting those calories, if your only goal is losing weight.

That's not what you said initially. You said fats and calories don't prevent weight loss, which makes very little sense.
Please share a legitimate study that "scientifically" proves calories in/calories out. That's a failed theory from the '70s that helped fuel the obesity epidemic.

People frequently say that on this forum, and think it proves something, to the point of demanding that others disprove it. If it's true, you should be able to provide credible evidence.

If you cut calories, your body slows your metabolism, so you don't use as much energy. Any weight loss is temporary, and weight is regained quickly.

And a calorie of sugar does not have the same effect on your body as a calorie of oil. They affect different systems and trigger different hormones. "You are what you eat" would be a better mantra.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It may help in the future if you were to attempt being slightly less insulting.
How was I insulting? What they said made no logical sense, so I laughed. Maybe they could attempt to make more sense next time. lol

Quote:
In my case, carbs and/or the absence of carbs make a HUGE difference. For some unknown reason, my body has decided to become diabetic. To avoid diabetes without the use of drugs that drive 'insulin resistance' I have had to learn to avoid potatoes, rice and wheat from my diet.

It is NOT all about calories.
In making those changes to your diet, did you also cut calories? Were you tracking calories before and after to compare?

Old 01-11-2024, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Please share a legitimate study that "scientifically" proves calories in/calories out. That's a failed theory from the '70s that helped fuel the obesity epidemic.

People frequently say that on this forum, and think it proves something, to the point of demanding that others disprove it. If it's true, you should be able to provide credible evidence.

If you cut calories, your body slows your metabolism, so you don't use as much energy. Any weight loss is temporary, and weight is regained quickly.

And a calorie of sugar does not have the same effect on your body as a calorie of oil. They affect different systems and trigger different hormones. "You are what you eat" would be a better mantra.
I'm not talking about how different foods affect your health or satiety. I'm talking about literal caloric consumption vs output. Yes, what you eat can fill you up faster - thus affecting how many calories you consume. But barring metabolic disorders, if you reduce the total calories consumed (in any form) you will lose weight. That's what we're discussing here, right? Weight and health are two different discussions.

I'm at work right now, but will share some studies with you later.

Old 01-11-2024, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about how different foods affect your health or satiety. I'm talking about literal caloric consumption vs output. Yes, what you eat can fill you up faster - thus affecting how many calories you consume. But barring metabolic disorders, if you reduce the total calories consumed (in any form) you will lose weight. That's what we're discussing here, right? Weight and health are two different discussions.

I'm at work right now, but will share some studies with you later.
Do show the studies that prove your assertions. Many studies have tried to prove it, only to discover it doesn't work except in very short term. After a few weeks, your body reacts to the reduced calories and slows your metabolism.

In the natural environment in which humans evolved, where finding food can be hard, losing weight can kill you. So our bodies are sensitive to a drop in calories, and use them more efficiently by reducing metabolism.

Old 01-12-2024, 02:14 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
... In making those changes to your diet, did you also cut calories? Were you tracking calories before and after to compare?
I don't think my calorie intake has changed much, though I have never tracked it closely.

I have never been attracted by sweets. I have always avoided any foods with icing.

Since giving up wheat, potatoes, and rice, I have shifted to a lot more salads. Now days I eat mostly meat, fish, cheese and veggies.

All I was wanting to do was to lower my A1C, and it worked so I am okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss