Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 08:45 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Well of course, with all those unhealthy foods you were eating a switch to moderation worked for you. There are people who NEVER ate all that junk.

As for those of us who limit carbs for health and weight reasons, my nutritionist says we each have a unique carb tolerance level. Mine is extremely low so I choose nutrient dense non starchy vegetables. You may be able to tolerate more since your eating choices are so much healthier than what you did before. If I go over my limit, I start craving more carbs.
Yep, truth! Same here. The more processed carbs one eats, the more one wants.

Cutting out the processed carbs and snacks helped me lose 18 pounds without being at all hungry. Blood work is much better, too.

I've found it's a lot different when eating whole grain carbs.

There are so many terrific whole grains to discover.

Even a simple switch from white to brown rice helps. Pasta made from veggies or whole grains, too.

We eat a lot of various stir fries and one-bowl meals (Asian, Mexican, poke bowls). Using a non-stick pan, I make em without added oils. Now using brown rice instead of white for the base of the bowls...or even mixed greens if I want to drop a few pounds...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 11:51 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Oh, well let's agree to disagree. I believe in moderation. I practice it. It works. I used to eat the Standard American Diet. I switched.

I know numerous people (my DH and I among them) who practice a Mediterranean-type diet. And speaking for myself, I, for too many years, ate the heavy American-style processed white carb & fried food diet.

You know, the chips, pretzels, sodas, French fries, baked goods, crappy bread, fried chicken.

Way too little salads and vegetables and fruit.

Until weight gain in my older years and climbing unhappy lab results (climbing sugar and cholesterol values) made me examine my diet.

And I switched diets. My husband did, too--since I'm the cook...lol.

And I must confess I was a big sugar binger, too. Candy, mostly. And soft drinks. Lots of ice cream.

That's fallen by the wayside, too.

Are people addicted (physically)-- to carbs?? Like to opioids and tobacco?

Or is it more mental--from habit and custom--the way they were bought up?

I'll leave it to the psychologists to answer that...

But a thinking human, given nutritious food, can certainly become a person's new habit. Eating processed carbs leads to more processed carbs due to the body's response...blood sugar rises-then drops quickly. Result? Hunger. Body then wants more carbs...it's a nasty cycle that can be broken...

A big "yes" to moderation and to nutritious, satisfying foods...!!

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Long ago, someone on City-Data once said, "Remember, sugar is just another crystalline substance made from a tropical plant".

I think there is some truth to that. Think about that candy and ice cream you used to love, as did I. Didn't it make you feel good when you ate it? Made you feel happy? It may not be physically addictive, like opiates, but psychologically, for sure it can be addictive. When you are lonely, haven't got much hope or much going on in your life except work and debt, candy can be one's best friend and lift you out of despair, at least temporarily.

I quit ice cream cold turkey in 2020 when my doc said he should be putting me on metformin. I ate ice cream every day. Sometimes I got off the train and drove straight to the ice cream store after work, and ice cream was my first dinner of the evening.

In that early March, I quit eating ice cream and had NONE almost all summer--I am telling you NONE AT ALL, even though I live near the Jersey shore and it was summer and I have the most wonderful homemade ice cream shop a mile from my house, one where you walk in and smell the cream. That Labor Day weekend, I allowed myself one small dish. (This was also during COVID, so I had time to walk every day, cook fish and vegetables, etc.)

I occasionally eat it now, but I broke the habit, lost 22 pounds, and my blood sugar was back to normal in four months.

Old 08-20-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Long ago, someone on City-Data once said, "Remember, sugar is just another crystalline substance made from a tropical plant".

I think there is some truth to that. Think about that candy and ice cream you used to love, as did I. Didn't it make you feel good when you ate it? Made you feel happy? It may not be physically addictive, like opiates, but psychologically, for sure it can be addictive. When you are lonely, haven't got much hope or much going on in your life except work and debt, candy can be one's best friend and lift you out of despair, at least temporarily.

I quit ice cream cold turkey in 2020 when my doc said he should be putting me on metformin. I ate ice cream every day. Sometimes I got off the train and drove straight to the ice cream store after work, and ice cream was my first dinner of the evening.

And big congrats to you for quitting the ice cream--that's a hard one to give up! Have you tried making "nice cream" with bananas?? You can Google for the recipe. It's quite good!

In that early March, I quit eating ice cream and had NONE almost all summer--I am telling you NONE AT ALL, even though I live near the Jersey shore and it was summer and I have the most wonderful homemade ice cream shop a mile from my house, one where you walk in and smell the cream. That Labor Day weekend, I allowed myself one small dish. (This was also during COVID, so I had time to walk every day, cook fish and vegetables, etc.)

I occasionally eat it now, but I broke the habit, lost 22 pounds, and my blood sugar was back to normal in four months.
Yes, for sure, sugar can be a comfort food. And ice cream? Sometimes I wonder if because it's rich and creamy it's like Mother's Milk to us...??(I know, pretty far-fetched, but I do wonder...)

I still have one small square of dark chocolate daily, It's rich & creamy and very satisfying.

But I think we can re-train ourselves to find comfort in other foods--or drinks. My comfort "food" is now a cup of relaxation tea (Chamomile is a favorite) sweetened with a bit of honey and sometimes Almond milk.

I have a round-ish mug that I wrap my hands around and the warmth and scent makes me relax--I feel tension melt away.

In fact, I've stopped drinking coffee in the morning and instead have Green tea. Never thought I'd give up coffee. But I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. arf arf.

I kind of enjoy changing habits. After I stopped smoking 25 years ago, I now know I can change for the better in my habits. Having will power makes me feel on top of things.

Congrats on quitting ice cream! That's a tough one to quit! Have you tried making "nice cream"?? It's quite good. Google for a recipe. See what you think...

Old 08-21-2023, 12:06 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Yes, for sure, sugar can be a comfort food. And ice cream? Sometimes I wonder if because it's rich and creamy it's like Mother's Milk to us...??(I know, pretty far-fetched, but I do wonder...)

I still have one small square of dark chocolate daily, It's rich & creamy and very satisfying.

But I think we can re-train ourselves to find comfort in other foods--or drinks. My comfort "food" is now a cup of relaxation tea (Chamomile is a favorite) sweetened with a bit of honey and sometimes Almond milk.

I have a round-ish mug that I wrap my hands around and the warmth and scent makes me relax--I feel tension melt away.

In fact, I've stopped drinking coffee in the morning and instead have Green tea. Never thought I'd give up coffee. But I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. arf arf.

I kind of enjoy changing habits. After I stopped smoking 25 years ago, I now know I can change for the better in my habits. Having will power makes me feel on top of things.

Congrats on quitting ice cream! That's a tough one to quit! Have you tried making "nice cream"?? It's quite good. Google for a recipe. See what you think...
I've had it. Daughter is a vegan and has made it for me when I've visited her or she visited me. I've been too lazy to try to make it myself so far, but that could be a goal.

Congrats on 25 years of quitting smoking. I've got 12 this year.

I like dark chocolate, too. Quitting the sugar habit was immensely satisfying. When I am somewhere that there is a celebration with a cake or something, I have a taste of it, and that's enough.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-21-2023 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-21-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've had it. Daughter is a vegan and has made it for me when I've visited her or she visited me. I've been too lazy to try to make it myself so far, but that could be a goal.

Congrats on 25 years of quitting smoking. I've got 12 this year.
Cool! Twelve years is admirable!! Let's hear it for being smoke free!!!

Nice Cream is easy peasy...3 ingredients for basic "Nice Cream":

--chunks of frozen banana (I use 2-3 whole, ripe bananas cut into chunks and frozen in freezer)

--almond or oat milk or rice milk--around a cup or so

--a bit of vanilla--1/2 teaspoon or so

throw all three into a blender and whip it up..

eat right away or store in freezer for when you want it...it's very creamy and no added sugar--natural fructose from the bananas and other fruits (if any more added)

You can make it more fancy with cocoa powder, fresh in season fruit (peaches & strawberries are terrific--but there are endless variations)

Old 08-21-2023, 04:10 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Cool! Twelve years is admirable!! Let's hear it for being smoke free!!!

Nice Cream is easy peasy...3 ingredients for basic "Nice Cream":

--chunks of frozen banana (I use 2-3 whole, ripe bananas cut into chunks and frozen in freezer)

--almond or oat milk or rice milk--around a cup or so

--a bit of vanilla--1/2 teaspoon or so

throw all three into a blender and whip it up..

eat right away or store in freezer for when you want it...it's very creamy and no added sugar--natural fructose from the bananas and other fruits (if any more added)

You can make it more fancy with cocoa powder, fresh in season fruit (peaches & strawberries are terrific--but there are endless variations)
Basically a thick smoothie! Had one for breakfast.

Old 08-24-2023, 04:43 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
he says people get the law of thermodynamics wrong in terms of human physiology. we are not steam engines. he ate more and did not increase his exercise. there is a school of thought that its hormones and eating the proper diet is the number one way to lose weight. look up professor Bart Kay. he has degrees in nutrition and sport physiology or something like that. there are other professionals that do not agree with calories in and calories out. its a interesting debate nonetheless. you can even find that very debate online if interested.

I heard of a study that there were two groups of people who ate the same amount of calories one ate 3 times a day the other group once a day. the group that ate once a day lost more weight. tracking calories is a waste of time . food labels are wrong. legally they can be 20 percent off. there are many reasons. some try to reduce their calories by 500 calories but its impossible to track that.
Perhaps you should stop watching YouTube videos and taking them as fact, instead of listening to actual medical professionals and dieticians.

I always find it funny when people (like you) are so resistant to ACTUAL professionals, even going so far as to call them frauds/liars - but some unknown yahoo makes a YouTube video, and you're like THAT'S IT! THE TRUTH! It's a phenomenon known as "confirmation bias;" in other words, only believing those who tell you what you already believed to be true.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:16 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Perhaps you should stop watching YouTube videos and taking them as fact, instead of listening to actual medical professionals and dieticians.

I always find it funny when people (like you) are so resistant to ACTUAL professionals, even going so far as to call them frauds/liars - but some unknown yahoo makes a YouTube video, and you're like THAT'S IT! THE TRUTH! It's a phenomenon known as "confirmation bias;" in other words, only believing those who tell you what you already believed to be true.
I listen to professionals like Dr McCullough. Infact there are many professionals on YouTube. They are also on other platforms. Doctors know almost nothing about nutrition. They treat disease they get like 2 hours of training in nutrition. The food industry pushes the bad food. The medical field is corrupt. All you have to look at is the COVID response and you will know.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:19 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
I listen to professionals like Dr McCullough. Infact there are many professionals on YouTube. They are also on other platforms. Doctors know almost nothing about nutrition. They treat disease they get like 2 hours of training in nutrition. The food industry pushes the bad food. The medical field is corrupt. All you have to look at is the COVID response and you will know.
Anyone can start a YouTube channel about anything. You need to have enough information literacy to be able to tell when someone is providing good information based on a sound study of actual peer reviewed science and not just their opinions. And yes, GPs could have a lot better nutrition training, but it's important to be able to discern when someone is a reliable source for nutrition information (a registered dietician, a gastroenterologist, a cardiologist, etc.) and not a chiropractor who's trying to sell supplements.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:53 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,499,251 times
Quote:
Don’t just listen to professionals, use common sense. What is this Dr McCullough telling you about weight loss not being related to calories in/out? And ask yourself if that makes sense. Ask yourself why obesity is higher in wealthy countries where calories are plentiful and cheap and not in poor countries. Why do almost no North Koreans have overweight BMIs when their primary calorie source is refined carbohydrates?

Apply everything you hear critically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss