Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 10:41 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times

Advertisements

Red meat = Gout is a fallacy in terms of what to solely avoid. Purines are a cell organism found in everything we consume and an excess in the diet creates an increase of uric acid and crystallization the kidneys/pancreas attempt to expel from the body. Animal proteins (even poultry) are high in purines and if inclined toward gout attacks a plant-based/dairy diet is most recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 06:14 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Be careful with fad diets, because once you resume eating as normal, you may regain the weight. Carnivore is a very restrictive diet and I cannot see you lasting on this diet forever.

However, if it's working for you, and you're morbidly obese, I'd suggest stay with it until your target weight but have a concrete plan how to transition back to a normal diet so you don't put all the weight back.
I would not call this a fad diet. Its pretty much what our ancestors consumed when they were hunters and gatherers. They would kill an animal and cook it and eat it. Not many side dishes back then. I do keto and like the OP I feel great on it. I lose weight, gain energy and just feel good inside. Carbs are the problem. Humans cannot process carbs well so it leads to all sorts of health problems.

And what is a normal diet? Eating foods that are bad for your body? For myself I add a few carbs so that I don't go below my target weight. You really never have to go back to your old ways.

Old 12-07-2023, 07:01 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I would not call this a fad diet. Its pretty much what our ancestors consumed when they were hunters and gatherers. They would kill an animal and cook it and eat it. Not many side dishes back then. I do keto and like the OP I feel great on it. I lose weight, gain energy and just feel good inside. Carbs are the problem. Humans cannot process carbs well so it leads to all sorts of health problems.

And what is a normal diet? Eating foods that are bad for your body? For myself I add a few carbs so that I don't go below my target weight. You really never have to go back to your old ways.
I'm pretty sure our ancestors ate plenty of fruits, and vegetables too. The human body diet never consisted of 100% meat, you can tell from our teeth and digestive system.

A normal diet includes foods from all food groups. I doubt the majority of people could sustain a carnivore diet. I know I couldn't.

Also, while I find the association studies behind meat and colorectal cancer to be spurious. It might not be spurious for someone whose on a carnivore diet.

Keto and carnivore are not the same. But as I said to the OP, if you're morbidly obese and this diet is working for you, probably best to stick to this diet until you hit your target weight then transition off to a more sustainable diet. I don't know anyone who is still on a carnivore diet. I know a few who tried, but eventually transitioned back to eating normally.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:20 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:

Good post. I've been researching it quite a bit lately, not really for weight loss, but for improvement in some other areas. I asked my doctor about it last week and he was all for it. He has done it a few times. He wants me to do it 90 days and he was sure it would improve some of my numbers. I've been low carb for ages so this is just tweaking what I eat a bit.

Old 12-07-2023, 11:51 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Red meat = Gout is a fallacy in terms of what to solely avoid. Purines are a cell organism found in everything we consume and an excess in the diet creates an increase of uric acid and crystallization the kidneys/pancreas attempt to expel from the body. Animal proteins (even poultry) are high in purines and if inclined toward gout attacks a plant-based/dairy diet is most recommended.
Agree with your statement, but how do I explain then the fact that I'm consuming meat everyday and my Gout is gone? When I started this diet, Gout was one of my biggest fears because I didn't want to trigger any flare ups by eating red meat. To my surprise, I haven't had not one flare up the past 11 weeks while on the diet and physically feel great. It's not just that the Gout has not flared up, it's the vanishing aches and pains, or inflammation, that I don't have in my joints anymore. I'm still pretty heavy at 270, but I don't feel the pain in my joints anymore. I used to get swelling in my ankles due to medication, but now the swelling is gone. My hypertension is slowly getting down to normal range as well, which hopefully will lead to getting off meds entirely. This diet is not "easy", but I've been able to stick to it pretty well and hope to make this a lifestyle. Thanks for your comment!!

Old 12-07-2023, 02:33 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Agree with your statement, but how do I explain then the fact that I'm consuming meat everyday and my Gout is gone? When I started this diet, Gout was one of my biggest fears because I didn't want to trigger any flare ups by eating red meat. To my surprise, I haven't had not one flare up the past 11 weeks while on the diet and physically feel great. It's not just that the Gout has not flared up, it's the vanishing aches and pains, or inflammation, that I don't have in my joints anymore. I'm still pretty heavy at 270, but I don't feel the pain in my joints anymore. I used to get swelling in my ankles due to medication, but now the swelling is gone. My hypertension is slowly getting down to normal range as well, which hopefully will lead to getting off meds entirely. This diet is not "easy", but I've been able to stick to it pretty well and hope to make this a lifestyle. Thanks for your comment!!
Gout is more an issue of kidney function, and high insulin can result in poor kidney function. This is why many people experience an amelioration of their symptoms on carnivore or keto diets.

hyperuricemia was once thought to lead to gout, but that is being challenged.

Old 12-08-2023, 12:15 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I do not call my diet carnivore, but I eat mainly meat, fish, eggs and it works
the best out of all the diets I have tried.

Thankfully I really like liver....because the price is still reasonable, especially
compared to other red-meat.

Old 12-10-2023, 07:08 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I do not call my diet carnivore, but I eat mainly meat, fish, eggs and it works
the best out of all the diets I have tried.

Thankfully I really like liver....because the price is still reasonable, especially
compared to other red-meat.
Yes, I eat mostly meat, but I also eat fish, eggs, bacon, etc.

I just weighed myself yesterday and dropped another 4 pounds. I’m down to 266 and have lost 47 pounds. Most importantly, I feel great physically.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:18 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:

The species has evolved. Humans are OMNIVORES. That means they get the greatest nutritional benefit by consuming a variety of food sources, including meat and plant.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:44 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
A few months ago I read about a Carnivore Diet study conducted by Harvard University where approximately 2100 people participated. The study provided incredible insights into the benefits of the Carnivore Diet and at the time, I weighed in at 313 pounds. After reading about the study and the results, I decided to try the Carnivore Diet as a means to lose weight and get healthier overall. Today, coming up on 11 weeks on this diet, I have lost 43 pounds and feel amazing!! I plan to continue this journey until I reach my goal weight of 225 pounds.

At first, I was very skeptical about this diet. I worried about how it would impact my cholesterol and I always suffered from Gout, for which I avoided red meat. After starting the diet, I consume mostly red meat, and have even started eating organ meat again (I love beef liver), and have not suffered a Gout flareup yet. There are Doctors online who swear by this diet and it's benefits. I feel like this diet has helped me sleep better at night. I wake up more energized, and the body aches and pains that plagued me before are good. I used to think the lower back pain in the morning was muscular, but I'm convinced that it was inflammation caused by all the carbohydrates and sugars that I was consuming. Since eliminating Carbs and Sugars, I feel amazing, and plan on adopting this diet as my way of life.

This diet is not necessarily for everyone, but I feel like it's the one diet I can stick to and I'm seeing great results. Best of all, when I had my recent physical all of my lab results were either in the normal range or closing in on normal range when compared to my previous physical results.

Today, I am 270 pounds. I have not been this "lite" since around 2012 when my wife and I welcomed our first born, and I can't wait to reach my goal weight of 225 pounds, which is what I weighed when I was in college.

Below is the link to the Harvard study that was conducted. The results will amaze you, especially for those out there who suffer from Diabetes. Removing Carbs and Sugars from your diet may lead to you getting off the meds.

https://www.doctorkiltz.com/the-harv...re-diet-study/

It's certainly much healthier than the Standard American Diet (SAD). I had a friend that did it and became strong and fit.

Personally I eat plants approved by Dr. Gundry (Plant Paradox) and meat and dairy and that's pretty much it but relax my diet on the weekends to have some wine and more naughty foods, all seems to be working great for me.

Best of luck OP, sounds like you are on a great path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss